It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danville, Virginia: Police opening car hoods to block their own dash cams.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

I don't know what's going on here, or why they have their hoods up. All I can say is, as a citizen, if a dispute arises between a citizen and the police; I'll want to see the footage the police are supposed to be collecting. If I end up on a jury, and a cop says "here's what happened, we should have it on camera, but we don't so you'll have to take my word for it"; I'm not taking their word for it. If I end up on a jury and a citizen presses charges against a police, and the footage the police should have to protect them from lies is suspiciously absent, that will weigh heavily on my decision as a jury member.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: MisterSpock

Sorry, modern cars can sit and idle without overheating. This isn't the 1970's.

spoken like someone that has no clue as to how cars work, they will overheat. just ask any mechanic. the electric fans can not keep up with the heat gain.

come down to fl and go by road construction , i guarantee you you will see it.

The average Floridian temperature is 29°C in the hottest month of July. Electric fans are controlled by the ECU and work especially well on tickover, police cars must surely also have oil radiators to cool the oil and possibly fluids other than plain water in the main cooling system, it only makes sense, while I'm not sure if a wide open bonnet is a correct response anyway.
However the pictures are ambiguous, and there is nothing to say if any engine is running, including the one with emergency lights on.
Overall, the idea as given...that of a deliberate MO if true, is just a tad simplistic and would take about five seconds for the penny to drop...unless someone has a video to show it being used of course.

edit on 26-9-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Honestly, what difference does it make? They release the videos which clearly show the suspects are doing exactly what the police said, and people still riot and yell kill the police.

I don't blame them.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Honestly, what difference does it make? They release the videos which clearly show the suspects are doing exactly what the police said, and people still riot and yell kill the police.

I don't blame them.

That is just plain rubbish, try again with out making it up as you go along.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Where is the dashcam placed in a police car? Is it actually on the dash?

I ask because, in the second picture, there seems to be a clear gap between the bonnet (hood) and the dash that would allow the cam to see.

I've had them both on the dashboard as well as hanging from the roof.

I don't know about the whole idling thing, but our cars are typically on the road 24/7 with an hour of here and there.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Do you own cars that have to run a computer and printer, emergency lights, and a radio along with all the standard electronics that your vehicle has?

Do you frequently leave your vehicle running on the side of the road for extended periods of time?

It what way is an idle vehicle even comparable to say, a 12 hour road trip? How extended of periods of time are we talking? Do they leave it on for days?

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

I don't blame them.

Right, I'm making stuff up. That's on video. For everyone to watch.

Please enlighten as to which recent police shooting caught on police camera where it was proven the police report was a lie?

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Nah you're being paranoid, isn't the saying "to swerve and detect" (cash & other goodies for the police pension funds)
Bunch of fascist thugs!

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Nvm.
edit on 26-9-2016 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

Sorry, modern cars can sit and idle without overheating. This isn't the 1970's.

spoken like someone that has no clue as to how cars work, they will overheat. just ask any mechanic. the electric fans can not keep up with the heat gain.

come down to fl and go by road construction , i guarantee you you will see it.

I would be absolutely FLOORED to find a police interceptor running dual electric fans off the battery. I mean, i've seen it in some 4 bangers and v-6's....never seen it on a police interceptor model (or any v-8, for that matter0.

I live in West Texas, and know a few things about >110 degree heat....never in my life have I had to pop the hood on my car to leave it in idle. Either the cooling system works, or you cut the engine altogether because it doesn't. Even when I had that 1999 Concorde....it was a V-6 with dual electric fans. The only time it failed to cool was when those stupid fans would come unplugged and wouldn't run right.

Nonetheless...what is the excuse for tht police SUV? It runs a fan belt (i know that model of vehicle....no way a light truck would run electric fans....it has the serpentine belt running its fan).

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
It is protocol to shield against armed suspects.

It won's stop a bullet but it makes it harder to target the officers through the windshield.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

It won's stop a bullet but it makes it harder to target the officers through the windshield.
So the cop jumps out and tells the shooter to hold on for a second while he puts his hood up? Maybe they should just drive with their hoods up?

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

I don't blame them.

Right, I'm making stuff up. That's on video. For everyone to watch.

Please enlighten as to which recent police shooting caught on police camera where it was proven the police report was a lie?

How recent would you prefer, a few days?

Video immediate release afer viewing, policewoman charged with manslaughter despite saying that Terence Crutcher was reaching into his vehicle...the window of which was closed...policewoman's husband talking ad hoc in the helicopter...Senior police admin then doing the right thing in the interim, result no street protests after the shooting, such a contrast to the Keth Scott shooting, riots, burnings, controversy ongoing. In North Carolina you see, in a few days police cam video will no longer be a public record, the police chief there tried to preban any police video, and basically cocked up...and I wouldn't be surprised if he/she did walkies sometime soon.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: imjack

I don't know who "they" are, nor do I possess the technical knowledge to explain the difference in an idling engine and an engine running at open throttle.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

How often is the cop shot in the car? I have only seen videos of an officer approaching, or instances where that wouldn't help at all. Is there even a single instance of a shooter, shooting at a cops Up-drawn hood with the cop in the car? Isn't it kind of stupid if they need to flee in their cars to have to hood up too?

Shooting at the engine among other things come to mind, like the poster under you said, there is no way the cop would have a reasonable amount of time to do that anyway- like ever, if the danger was real, and it most likely wouldn't result in benefit...the cop would get shot as he approached anyway... just like the two in the picture.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Somehow, that sounds a lot like the Monty Python 'dead parrot' sketch!

edit on 26-9-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I was asking the guy who quoted you, saying the car could not idle because of heat.

To my knowledge a car would be hotter if it was open throttle for a long period of time, as an example, my old cars heat system in the winter wouldn't even get hot until the car was moving.

So it's just really hard for me to fathom a car that's unable to idle when they're designed to be open throttle for hours at a time.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: imjack

Gotcha. Read it wrong, apologies.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I hope this is actually a poor attempt at trolling.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join