It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok We get it you can stand for the anthem now

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I get these BLM protests. I get these sports stars sitting for the anthem. They want to act like they are doing good. For the past 5 years, black person after black person being killed, shot, subject to racism, degraded. Police shootings/beatings have been on the rise. We are all fully aware of whats going on. AND SO IS EVERY SINGLE COP IN THE COUNTRY.

We get it, they get it, everyone gets it. no need to protest.

if you are an LEO, you know what the first thing in their mind is as they approach an african american. they all know they are under the microscope and are afraid of what might happen if they rush a judgement.

All we are doing is making it harder for these brave people to do their jobs. am i right?

do we really need people protesting anymore before the cops get it? no

www.dailymail.co.uk... -wake-Ferguson-shooting.html
Alabama cop beaten because he was scared to use force on

reason.com... or
Cop Who Didn’t Shoot Black Man Fired for ‘Failing to Eliminate Threat’

www.latimes.com... /lanow/la-me-ln-a-cop-s-worst-fear-being-targeted-for-doing-your-job-20151119-story.html
A cop's worst fear: Being targeted for doing your job

www.theblaze.com... y-some-dallas-cops-are-now-afraid-to-use-deadly-force/
Why Some Dallas Cops Say They Are Afraid to Use Deadly Force

alot of these are old stories. cops getting sued for doing their job, afraid to use force because of what may happen after. we cant have scared cops out there... not safe.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: nobunaga

If someone voluntarily chooses to become a police/peace officer, they must realize that there are certain risks that come with the job.

The citizen and his or her rights must come first and they must be given the benefit of the doubt.

We cant have our public servants harming or killing our citizens pre-emptively because they think that something may happen.

If a potential cop is unable to grasp this simple truth or is overly fearful, then maybe they should choose a different line of work.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

If someone voluntarily chooses to become a police/peace officer, they must realize that there are certain risks that come with the job.

The citizen and his or her rights must come first and they must be given the benefit of the doubt.

We cant have our public servants harming or killing our citizens pre-emptively because they think that something may happen.

If a potential cop is unable to grasp this simple truth or is overly fearful, then maybe they should choose a different line of work.

It's a shame people who have the unique ability to detect EXACTLY what's wrong with most situations, don't step up to the plate and be the change they speak of.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

and im sure 90% of the LEOs out there decided to join the force to serve and protect... not to duck and cover, or be afraid to do their job because of the reprecussions of actions they deem necessary but the media deems racist or from hate.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Well i guess you are right..it was absolutely necessary to shoot Amadou Diallo(look him up) a few dozen times for reaching for his wallet.It was absolutely necessary to choke Eric Garner for selling loosies...

If you get it,why nothing changes?

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

First I'd say that I don't give a tinkers fart who stands for the national anthem.

Second, I'd suggest that the BLM movement may well solve the problem, but in a somewhat unintended way:
abcnews.go.com...

Police Face Severe Shortage of Recruits!

Pretty soon...........there will be so few cops, the BLM people will probably start demanding UN Peace Keepers come into their neighborhoods.................and they can have them as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

i get it. Bringing awareness... via the keyboard.

some people have the chops to do it in other peaceful ways.

when people have no legitimate reason to file lawsuits for murder against their police force, then people should stop protesting.
then ill star and flag... until then you're not looking at why police are afraid to 'do their jobs' now. its because cameras are wide and spread in availability and people can request cruiser footage or body cam footage.
a good cop, is a COP, a bad cop is a bad cop. the job is to be a cop, period. once you take that oath and put on the uniform which not too many wear, you take a stand to not do what the general population does and be a beacon for protection and hope. unfortunately the Miranda rights arent even being taught at academies.. .they just paint it on a mural as a decorative piece for the good old days.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Or we could stop this obsession and let them express themselves and we can call it what we want.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: nobunaga
alot of these are old stories. cops getting sued for doing their job, afraid to use force because of what may happen after. we cant have scared cops out there... not safe.

Then insist on them being trained properly. Insist on them not being apparently trigger happy. Teach them how to shoot to disable rather than to kill if they have to shoot at all. Teach them that the badge they wear has to earn its respect, not that its just due because its there.

Blame the system. Not the people protesting it.

Quite.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

That goes without saying.

The citizen and his or her rights must come first ...

Correct.

... and they must be given the benefit of the doubt.

No, they mustn't. LEOs need to do their due diligence in understand how, why and why to use force, especially lethal force, but always giving the citizen (LEOs are citizens, too, ya know) the benefit of the doubt is the epitome of ridiculousness. LEOs know that they're stepping into a job where they may get killed on any given day, but that doesn't mean that the policy of all LEOs should be stupidity first and safety for the officer second.

This is true, but it's a lot more multi-faceted than you're letting on. There are myriad indicators as to whether or not someone may be a potential threat to a LEO's life or to the lives of civilians in the area, and the dramatic majority of officer-involved killings tend to be justified.

Now, I'm not saying that there isn't another possible outcome, in some cases, that should have been considered first that would have left the suspect alive, but reality shows that most shootings are justified...but it also shows that the questionable or unjustified ones get paraded around the brightest and loudest, becoming propaganda in making the general public think that this type of thing is the norm.

It's not.

Like I said, your "truth" isn't that simple. But maybe you're right--then who is going to fill their shoes and be infallible police officers? You? Your siblings? Your friends? Your extended family? Your neighbors?

The reality is that, just like serving in the military, the percentage of Americans willing to be a LEO (and confront all of the dangers that come with it head on) falls somewhere in the single digits of percentage, so unless you can come up with a better solution than just saying, "... maybe they should choose a different line of work," I suggest that you propose a fix to the problem of who would be willing to fill those shoes.

Also, on a different note, have you not considered the role that the actions of the suspects play in whether they get a gun drawn on them and shot in the first place, or are you one of those who only lie the burden at the feet of the officers?
edit on 20-9-2016 by SlapMonkey because: rewording some mumbo jumbo

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

All we are doing is making it harder for these brave people to do their jobs. am i right?

How does refusing to stand for the national anthem make things harder for cops? If you really believe in freedom, you should also believe in the freedom to not conform to other people's unwritten rules.

And apparently people don't "get it". The movement isn't just about awareness. Most of America, including the entire criminal justice, has already known what's going on. For example, every Southern American from my parents' generation grew up during racial segregation and in a time when interracial marriage was banned by State Constitutions. So none of them can pretend they don't know what's going on. The point of the BLM movement is to get actual laws and policies changed. Only when this supposed "awareness" is implemented into law will anyone prove they actually "get it".

Ironically, I'm against many aspects of BLM. But that's mainly because I think they're too weak. They should do like the Zionist lobby, the NRA, and the oil lobby; as in, screw protesting and begging for help. Instead, they should hire lobbyists, back specific candidates from their camps, and make concrete efforts to unseat officials who oppose their laws. They should help challenge every single candidate in primaries. Instead, they seem to focus on changing public opinion, which I think is redundant because people already know about the double standards.
edit on 20-9-2016 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Maybe we should just get rid of performing the national anthem-. . . . . .

Oh.

Now I get it.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

If someone chooses to commit crime, they must realize that there is a real risk that comes with that bad choice...

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

...because the bad guys are shooting to disable and aren't trigger happy, right?

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The guy who was killed yesterday, while he had his hands in the air - he was being trigger happy - right?

That's the kind of incident I'm talking about.

You can choose to conveniently ignore it because it doesn't fit your paradigm, but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

So spare me the bullcrap strawman argument. The point isn't about idiots who decide to take on the Police and get themselves killed. It never has been. The point is that there are Police Officers killing people who most certainly aren't trigger happy, and there is plenty of evidence there to prove it.

So how about you comment on that, instead?

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I posted this on a thread yesterday, but it fits here too.

I know this is slightly off topic, but I wanted to add this about Kaepernick and the others.

I would approach him with the more SJW progressive position. This would be what I would say to him. . (obviously tongue in cheek)

"You are right this country oppresses black people all over the place. But you know who else oppresses blacks, the NFL! It uses strong young black men and pays them a pittance, all the while old white men make billions of of their blood and sweat. It ignores the health consequences of the blacks when they are discarded. It won't allow blacks in positions of leadership. It is a new plantation. So Colin, its time for you and all of the other protesters to take your protest to the next level; quit the NFL plantation system!!

I mean you wouldn't actively enrich a racist organization like the NFL just to make a little money yourself, right? Give that racist money back to the NFL and make a true stance!"

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Brilliant!

Dont try to use logic here, it has no welcome for this place is safe!

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
If I may, it's not time to Stop, it's time to do more

The National Anthem was written by someone who owned Slaves and they also omit the last verse. so who is this "Land of the Free, Home of the Brave" about? and should we even talk about the "The Bellamy salute"?

also, think about this, those that say it's disrespectful to the Military who fight for our freedoms. what about the Minority Soldiers before and during the Civil Rights movement, who went over Seas to "Fight For Freedoms' and when they returned back to "American Soil" were not allowed to eat in a Dinner among other injustices.

Maybe Kneeling/Sitting won't change things outright, but it's a Symbol, people who might be scared to raise their voice or cross a "Taboo Line" see this, and say yeah, that is Us.

First of all, we need to Demilitarize the police. we need Independent full-time investigators and review Boards, and we need the Bad ones held accountable for and not put on "Paid Leave".

We also need the Good ones to hold those accountable and stand up against the Injustice and Murders, if not they are associated with it

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The guy who was killed yesterday, while he had his hands in the air - he was being trigger happy - right?

No, he was refusing to comply with officer orders, acting erratically, and made a herking and jerking movement towards the door and window of his personal vehicle, with his hand that was no longer "in the air."

You don't screw with the cops, PERIOD. If you do, and if you create an environment in which they feel threatened, you're the one making the statement that your life isn't worth a whole lot.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: nobunaga

do we really need people protesting anymore before the cops get it? no

Except they haven't gotten it yet so yes.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join