It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Continental Divide

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
(Everyone please forgive me for taking so long to reply)

a reply to: TheLaughingGod

I don't know if that's true or not. There are several factors that can aid or retard an accelerated societal decay.

The Internet and instant communications can work both ways. On one hand, information about the abuses of those in power can spread wider and faster than ever before. But on the other hand, so can propaganda. A decreasing average intelligence could actually cause the decline to take longer, because it means the average person will be less capable of understanding their condition. The modern gadgets we are surrounded by present a distraction as well, increasing the time span of the decay cycle. But the addiction to those devices makes them a trigger point.

I have personally been expecting the collapse of the United States for some years now, but it has always surprised me and managed to postpone the inevitable. I've given up on guessing.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

I usually stay out of such conversations because I am a guy. If I may , I would like to offer one observation. In New Zealand Women are grossly under represented on Corporate/Company boards. Rightfully there has been calls for the situation to be rectified. What bothers me is those who most want to the issue addressed don't take a real look at the roots of the problem. By that I mean there is no analysis of what percentage of Women undertake relevant business degrees. Clearly attacking the top of the tree without examining the roots isn't the way to go.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

I think you're right. I know very few people who don't live in some kind of fear, whether it be fear of losing their job, fear of the police, fear of societal anger, etc.

Coincidentally, this can be a cause of something else we have seen manifesting in the US: obesity. Fear equates to stress, and the human body cannot determine whether stress is physical or emotional. It's all the same where the body is concerned. Stress causes the release of epinephrines (like adrenaline) that speed the body up in preparation for the fight or flight syndrome. They also tend to cause the body to store energy.

Have you ever noticed how many smokers gain weight when they stop? That's because nicotine, through it's action mimicking acetylcholine, controls the activity of epinephrines. When someone who is using the nicotine to combat an overproduction of epinephrines stops, the epinephrines take over, causing an accelerated fight-or-flight response. They experience all the symptoms of physical stress: increased emotional activity, high blood pressure, restlessness, and weight gain.

High blood pressure (hypertension) itself is an epidemic now... same situation. I was just on a beta-blocker for a short while, and it literally stopped the action of epinephrines. When I got off, the sudden avalanche of them had me climbing the walls and wanting to fight fence posts until the levels could adjust. Those beta-blockers are popular hypertension drugs (pretty much anything ending in "olol" is a beta-blocker). They don't block the production of epinephrines, only their actions.

That may be why it has been so hard to stamp out recreational drug use. Many illicit drugs are used to combat stress in one way or another. We live today in a society that is so complex and is so deeply imbibed with worry and stress, that we are literally killing ourselves.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

And I've had some time myself to get back online here.
Just a couple things to contribute today.

About cycles. Years ago I read about the difference between traditional "women's" work and "men's" work. That old saying about a "Woman's work is never done" is true. Female work is considered "cyclical"; you do something that needs to be repeated, over and over. Dusting, laundry, meals. You dust, the dust returns, you dust, the dust returns.

Male work OTOH is a job that is completed with that act. A car needs to be repaired; it gets fixed. A workshop project builds something, an end product.

IMO women and men need to be able to do both and not necessarily have roles assigned and should be allowed to do what they do best in a relationship, whether that is in a marriage or in a society.

It could be that the Art of War is a "male" type of work; a battle planned and executed. Start, finish, complete. It could be that the Art of Peace is "female", as Peace is something that needs to be constantly nourished, to avoid War. I heard a pastor on the radio years ago talk about Jesus being the embodiment of both male and female. The Yin Yang? The idea of "opposites" being necessary in society, but in balance, harmony.

Ok, next thing.

We live today in a society that is so complex and is so deeply imbibed with worry and stress, that we are literally killing ourselves.

Yep. The Rat Park experiment comes to my mind. Environment comes into play.

My BFF shared with me recently just how bad her health had been before she retired (she tends to keep bad news to herself). Apparently she had been suffering from debilitating conditions, her body just breaking down. A year after retirement she no longer had any of those conditions. The only thing different in her life was that she retired; exercise, diet was the same. Her doctor just shrugged her head and said, yes, not having the stress in your life probably has something to do with it. Ya think?

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

But that theory presupposes something: that people will use critical thinking to make such important decisions. According to this cycle, that may well not be a valid assumption.

No doubt this election has more to do with emotional thinking than critical thinking. Especially when you have two such distasteful candidates. It's even more clouded, because using critical thinking, I can't fervently support ANY candidate running (including 3rd party ones). So, it's not even about SUPPORTING a candidate, as it is OPPOSING the most distasteful one.

What is more surprising, a candidate was actually CAUGHT rigging the primary, so much so that the party chair resigned (and then joined that candidate's campaign!) And yet, those who supported the one cheated out of it, STILL voice support for her, because the alternative is just that distasteful to them. Truly, critical thinking is simply out the door here....

He's not much better. While his candid remarks are refreshing, they also don't mesh well with the office, or the job of basically being the most important mediator in the world. But, deals are his thing, and that's really what the office is all about. The funny part is, the two mostly agree on the issues young voters care most about. And they agree, because these issues are politically DEAD issues. Abortion? Dead issue, matter of law. Gay marriage? Dead issue, matter of law. (and both candidates have previously changed their positions on them).

Then, they are both basically crooks. So that's fun.

For me, it came down to which one actually cares about the country's success. Here's where she falls short, because she appears to be up for the highest bidder. She's taken money from just about everyone who hates our guts. He's just too vain to not succeed, his ego won't allow it, hehe.

They will do anything to get that attention to promote their cause, collusion, cheating, espionage, even demonization of entire cultures, to get it. Two diametrically opposed world views, feeding off each other and sustaining each other. No wonder we are seeing this disaster unfold. And it begs the question: what will become of us in the next decade, when the newer generation is the protesters and the protesters of today are the policymakers? What does ATS think?

It's a good analysis. We can only hope they grow up like the hippies did, and realize that someone has to pay the bills. Hopefully, they'll also realize that while acceptance of weirdos is fine, catering laws to 1% of the population may not be the best course of action. Some degree of common sense is needed. I wonder more how they will get around. Seems like nobody in this new generation drives???

I'm not sure what the next generation will protest. As it seems this generation is prone to let just about anything happen.

Meanwhile, did you hear? Casey Anthony just opened up a daycare. That's it world, you got me...I get it, the Universe has officially just gone mad.

edit on 22-9-2016 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
... catering laws to 1% of the population may not be the best course of action. Some degree of common sense is needed.

Yes. The next generation must make it known that oligarchy is not acceptable. They must overturn any law and idea that promotes it.

I think that they also need to deal with pollution. We need clean air and water. Pollution is not something like trash, that just remains where you dump it. Pollution can circle the globe. Here in the US, one state might deal with river pollution but live downstream from another state that caters to the oligarchy that doesn't want to deal with pollution.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join