It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists confirm dolphins talk?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I hope I live to see the day, but apparently scientists are ready to attempt to learn "dolphin."

www.engadget.com...
edit on 14/9/2016 by Gyo01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Its amazing to me how much money is spent trying to find life "out there" when there is so much that we are ignorant of on our own planet.

Dolphins are amazing creatures. I remember reading a story a while back how the dolphin trainers at Sea world had trained the dolphins to pick up and carry off any trash that people would throw in the pools. They would be rewarded with a fish. One of the female dolphins got smart and realized she would get the same reward no matter how big the piece of trash so she would take a piece of trash to the bottom of the pool and put a rock on top of it. She would then tear off a piece of trash and bring it to the trainer. Not only would she do this over and over but she taught her baby how to do it as well.

And humans are so arrogant to think we are the smartest species on the planet...

I believe whale "songs" are much the same type of communication. No wonder the probe in Star Trek 4 was looking in the oceans for intelligent life.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Gyo01

From your source:

dolphins are able to speak to one another in complete sentences containing up to five words apiece.

Using a new type of high-fidelity underwater microphone capable of discerning the dolphins' various sounds, researchers found that the animals use "words" and, even more incredibly, patiently wait until the other has finished with its "sentence" before replying.

I never knew they spoke in sentences..will have to read some more on this subject. Thank you for posting this.

blend57

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Your welcome.

As an outdoorsman, I have always thought birds speak as well and I still do.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior
Dolphins are amazing creatures. I remember reading a story a while back how the dolphin trainers at Sea world had trained the dolphins to pick up and carry off any trash that people would throw in the pools. They would be rewarded with a fish. One of the female dolphins got smart and realized she would get the same reward no matter how big the piece of trash so she would take a piece of trash to the bottom of the pool and put a rock on top of it. She would then tear off a piece of trash and bring it to the trainer. Not only would she do this over and over but she taught her baby how to do it as well.

Lol, even dolphins troll. Lol

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Gyo01

Yes..in my mind..as humans "evolve" in thought..I always assumed that other creatures would as well. Never doubted that they spoke to one another..or have learned how to speak to one another. But maybe their speech is slowly becoming more like ours. Not to say they will ever speak like we do..but I always assumed their language and ability to communicate would develop just as ours does.

Dunno..just random thoughts.

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Gyo01

Absolutely fascinating. I want to talk to a dolphin. I want to apologize for the acts of humans, and find out what reality these dolphins live in, how they perceive the world, what they think about other animals, etc.

S & F

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Absolutely fascinating. I want to talk to a dolphin. I want to apologize for the acts of humans, and find out what reality these dolphins live in, how they perceive the world, what they think about other animals, etc.

S & F
Took the words out of my mouth. Heh.

I've had a few birds let me know they like me. Animals generally distrust us and other animals equally. Oneself must raise it from a baby to gain it's trust, but, I have made a few animal friends in my time. Skinks are the best, they'll come up to me and look at me for a minute. Same with birds. I can make noises with them but as soon as I make the slightest movement they run/fly away QUICK.

edit on 14/9/2016 by Gyo01 because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

slightly of topic, but I once had a female deer approach me from a small heard and got within a few feet of me before she made a strange whistling sound and bolted off with the heard. I had heard that noise in the woods before and always thought it was a bird. Hard to describe, but if you hear it, you'll recognize it right off. I'd love to know what she was thinking to go against her natural instincts like that.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Heh, that must have been a strange experience. Deers are jumpy. We actually have a rare albino deer out here. If I ever see it again, I'll take a pic. I've seen it three times in 3 1/2 years.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Meanwhile thousands of dolphins get slaughtered in Japan in a sea of blood.

20 Dolphins Slaughtered on Day One of Japan's Annual Taiji Hunt, 1,800 to Go

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueShaman
Meanwhile thousands of dolphins get slaughtered in Japan in a sea of blood.

20 Dolphins Slaughtered on Day One of Japan's Annual Taiji Hunt, 1,800 to Go

Legal serial killers?

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Good job they lack arms to build weapons otherwise we would be at war with dolphins.

All this study proves is that we're as special and unique as we'd like to think, now if we could somehow work out their language so we could communicate back to them, that would really be something

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

I know about Dolphins, but they were calming the same about Elephants. I don't agree, my Mother in Law still does not.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

Are you saying dolphins are smarter than humans? If they were any where near as smart as us they would never swim anywhere near Japan.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Now, that is really something...if/when we learn enough of their language, we may be surprised with what they have to say.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: imsoconfused

Are you saying dolphins are smarter than humans? If they were any where near as smart as us they would never swim anywhere near Japan.

Yes. Now explain why so many slow humanoid apes get eaten by sharks every year and then call for sharks to be killed..

Or why we have to know how to act when a bear attacks us in the woods.

Or why we fall off tall buildings or out of working planes, and our 'chutes fail.

We are not that smart...

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I knew a Chippewa Indian that had a squirrel speak English to him in the woods one day.

He did not do drugs and he never indicated that he was prone to flights of fancy.

I do know this much, he was hunting when it happened and he never hunted squirrels again after that day.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: savemebarry

originally posted by: imsoconfused

Yes. Now explain why so many slow humanoid apes get eaten by sharks every year and then call for sharks to be killed..

Or why we have to know how to act when a bear attacks us in the woods.

Or why we fall off tall buildings or out of working planes, and our 'chutes fail.

We are not that smart...

No we are not.. But we are still smarter than dolphins.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
All critters talk. We have called it Monkey "chatter", bird "song" and insect "noise".

They cry, scream, yell and whisper, too. They fear, love, long, have orgasms and mourn as well.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join