It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Nationalizm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
These are some quotes from Official Chinese newspaper regarding "American Nationalizm" What do all you guys think?

"People's Daily took the opportunity of the inaugural speech to offer its readers a different history lesson on the American character. Here is the English translation of that article.
American nationalism displays the following characters.

First, it is originated from the worship to 'The American Creed', with liberty, democracy and the rule of law lying at its core. The Creed takes form along with the shaping and developing of the country, but has been taken by many Americans as a truth or standard that 'fits all'. From a religious perspective, many Americans indulge themselves in a sense of superiority, believing themselves 'men chosen by God.'

Second, due to the nation's superior natural and geographical conditions, and its history of never being invaded, American nationalism is void of historical bitterness found in typical nationalism of some other peoples.

Third, American nationalism shows a strong inclination of being self-centered, a combination of an isolationism tendency (being disdain to associate with other peoples) and a sense of mission to save 'the fettered world' by whatever means it desires. American nationalism rejects nationalism in other peoples, which doesn't, or unwilling to learn other people's emotions and thoughts, but adopts American standards in all cases.

Fourth, in foreign policy, American nationalism takes a form of a mixture of morality and pragmatism. Sometimes America holds ideology as the benchmark, deciding a friend or foe by American values, beliefs and political considerations; sometimes it exercises double standards for the sake of national interest, showing a certain degree of moral hypocrisy. "

www.csmonitor.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
A most interesting interpretation. Thanks for that post!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Believing they're God's chosen men???

How about we're all sons of god. Sorry, it's better to put faith in your creator rather then man, in my most humble opinion.

I'm also starting to think that each countries leaders are starting a propaganda machine full of anti americanism so to avoid their citizens from leaving their mother country.

Chinese leaders are communist, if you were a communist leader what would you to do try and keep the people at home without being too obvious?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
It's either propaganda or their writers have been reading to many conspiracy theories on this site!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Whats up with this one

"Second, due to the nation's superior natural and geographical conditions, and its history of never being invaded, American nationalism is void of historical bitterness found in typical nationalism of some other peoples. "

I seem to remember America being invaded by the British a couple of times. I also remember a occupied Washington DC, burned to the ground in 1814.

Never being invaded

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Technically during the American Revolution, America wasn't a nation, but merely rebelling colonies.

1814? Are you sure? I know Washington was set aflame but I don't believe it "burned to the ground."

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by southern_cross3
Technically during the American Revolution, America wasn't a nation, but merely rebelling colonies.

1814? Are you sure? I know Washington was set aflame but I don't believe it "burned to the ground."

OK I can see the arguement you could make about Revolution. But by 1814 I cant see anyone say that wasnt a invasion.

About the burning every building might not have been burned but much burned to the ground. Some accounts for the time.

"Of the Senate house, the President's palace, the barracks, the dockyard, etc., nothing could be seen except heaps of smoking ruins."

"In this general devastation were included the Senate House, the President's palace, an extensive dockyard and arsenal, barracks for two or three thousand men, several large storehouses filled with naval and military stores, some hundreds of cannon of different descriptions, and nearly twenty thousand stand of small arms. There were also two or three public rope works which shared the same fate, a fine frigate pierced for sixty guns and just ready to be launched, several gun brigs and armed schooners, with a variety of gunboats and small craft. The powder magazines were, of course, set on fire, and exploded with a tremendous crash, throwing down many houses in their vicinity, partly by pieces of the wall striking them, and partly by the concussion of the air whilst quantities of shot, shell, and hand grenades, which could not otherwise be rendered useless, were thrown into the river."

Washington really had little strategic value back then it was more psychological statement, Baltimore would have been much more important.

www.eyewitnesstohistory.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I think it is about as accurate as you can be while still being true to their own interests.

Even in propaganda (which this might or might not be), there is the element of truth.

It actually looks like something I might have written.

top topics

join