It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shark kills Australian kitesurfer in New Caledonia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Shark kills Australian kitesurfer in New Caledonia

But the headline should read...Stupid Kitesurfer Invades Sharks Home and Gets Eaten By Shark Defending Territory or Searching For Food

A shark savaged an Australian kitesurfer to death off New Caledonia on Tuesday in the second fatal attack in the South Pacific territory in six months, officials said. "The man in his 50s was kitesurfing inside the reef at Koumac. He fell and was bitten," Nicolas Renaud, head of the archipelago's marine rescue coordination centre, told AFP. The unidentified man from Fremantle on Australia's southwest coast was out with several other people on a catamaran, who raised the alarm. A rescue boat was sent to help but emergency crews were unable to save him. "He suffered a deep bite to the thigh from a big shark. We don't know for the moment what species it was," added Renaud.

Okay, once again, a shark did what a shark is supposed to do and the bells are rung. Listen, if you go in the ocean you are going somewhere that you do not belong, the home for predators. If you are ignorant to the dangers of doing anything in the ocean then you get what you deserve. Do sharks come on land and attack unprovoked? No. Unless you are watching a Chevy Chase skit on SNL this has never happened, ever.

Sharks do not owe you an explanation for protecting their territory or scavenging for food in their own waters, they are entitled to the same rights as any humans. Ever since the movie Jaws came out, you could not catch me dead in the ocean, even near the ocean on a beach anywhere near the water. The closest you could find me would be at the very top of the building next to the ocean.

Why you ask?

The ocean is for creatures that live there, ones that belong there, not for people like you and me. If you want to risk the dangers that is your choice, but do not blame the circumstances of your demise on them. It was you who did something stupid, you went swimming, you went surfing, you went sailing, you got what you deserved. The day a creature from the ocean comes to your house and murders you that will be the day to ring the bells and sound the alarms.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I don't know why you have to be so harsh on the poor soul who lost his life.

He wasn't exactly out there poaching sharks, was he now?

He was just trying to enjoy life.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Every time this happens there is a shark culling. i get ops point, i bet we wont have sharks in 100 years at the rate asians kill them though for just their fins. Its pretty disgusting.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Sucks, but it is a known risk. It is a rare occurrence though, so not something most people should worry about when venturing into the ocean.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth

It was you who did something stupid, you went swimming, you went surfing, you went sailing, you got what you deserved.

More people drown than get bitten by sharks.

A hundred million people went in the water yesterday, only one got bit.

Pretty good odds...

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
This is why I stick to swimming pools.

There's a reason why we left the ocean and never went back. The dolphins did, but they're a few million years ahead of us.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I was in the ocean today and yesterday for about 7 hours surfing hurricane swell. I'm glad you don't want to go near the ocean, because you have no respect for it, or a clue.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

It always amazes me when this happens how everyone just thinks the sharks are evil and they had no right to behave this way. I am sad for the idiot, he took a risk and paid the ultimate price for enjoying his life, above shark infested waters of the ocean. I hope he liked that ending, I sure as hell wouldn't which is why I enjoy my life doing things where, I don't know like, not in the ocean, or the wilds of Africa, or hanging in the Amazon basin.

Poor shark I say, could not have tasted too good.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

One that you know of, but that is besides the point, the ocean is for things with gills, the fact people swim in it and escape harm does not mean if they succumb to the creatures of the deep or even the shallow, drown or get eaten, that is dangerous territory, even undercurrents can get you. What lives in the ocean or even the lakes has a right to that space, humans do not get to cry about it.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

As long as you are not drunk and the pool is not too deep, kudos.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

LOL! Whatever you say! When you fail to show up here one day I guess we can all surmise what your demise was. I respect the Ocean enough to stay the hell out of it, that is the ultimate respect, wouldn't you say? Oh NM look who I am asking!

carry on.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Umm, Lots of mammals and birds 'without gills' in the ocean.

I used to swim a lot when I was younger. Loads of fun. Never got bit. Saw a fin go by one time, we were 'way out' swimming on a little air mattress.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

yeah and they don't last long.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: searcherfortruth
a reply to: ugmold

LOL! Whatever you say! When you fail to show up here one day I guess we can all surmise what your demise was. I respect the Ocean enough to stay the hell out of it, that is the ultimate respect, wouldn't you say? Oh NM look who I am asking!

carry on.

If I don't show up here again, don't worry I'll be fine it will be because of posts like yours that belong on Facebook.

top topics

join