It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

the origins of religion

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: GailNot
He does feel the need to do so. That is why he is getting rid of human rule and everyone that refuse to obey him.

Disgusting. A complete an utter sick sociopath. Nothing more.

He has been patient, but his patience will come to an end and he will correct things.

How deviously horrible. God is all love and peace....except when you p*ss him off. Then he's a vindictive bully. Sounds like a human. Or, what a human made him up to be...

If you were to seek for truth you would know this.

If this is your truth then you can keep it. I don't want your genocidal delusions, thanks.

It isn't his fault people have turned their face from him and reject his just and correct way of doing things.
He has allowed human rule for a time, in his wisdom to show people what the world would be like by rejecting him. It isn't his fault they did it.And when he fixes things it will be complete and total.

Kind of like Hitler's Final Solution, huh?

No thanks. Your religion was devised by scared, stupid, selfish human beings several thousand years ago, and stole from every other mythology to devise Christianity. I don't want to believe in your sick fantasy.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Like God himself said:...

Nope. He didn't. People did. When they wrote the stories that were then collected and used to fabricate the Bible. You have no evidence that any deity said anything, ever. But if it makes you happy to live under a tyrannical rule of a childish, petulant, megalomaniac, go for it.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

You're demented and twisted.

First you blame God for all the badness. And then when you find out he is going to correct things you blame him again.

I respect your right to believe the way you do. But if you only realized how warped your reasoning is. To firstly call him evil to allow evil and suffering, and then call him evil because he is going to end it.

Can't really reason with illogical statements that contradict each other like you're doing.

In fact it would be totally appropriate to say that it is you and your thinking that is disgusting and filthy and degraded.

Again I respect it.

And I feel really sorry for you. While we live in misery right now, there is a bright hope for the future. You are so toxic and full of poison you can't see it.

There is a reason badness is coming to an end. It is so that good people can live in peace.

And there is a reason God must fight the final battle. Because there are so many sick perverted bad people on earth. It is NOT because everyone is good.

You yourself were whining about all of the badness and even showing humankind cannot fix all of the problems we face.

You whine about it, but you do not want a solution. That is sickening.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

Which means that to this day, our species has lived outside of civilization for 95% of its existence. And during that time, humans have lived integrated into Nature. And as such, humans didn't feel the need to invent unseen entities

Odd, then, that they invented them nevertheless.

Nearly every hunter-gatherer tribe known to anthropology has its powerful spirits, angry ancestors or dangerous gods.

It is true that formal religion is an invention of the Agricultural Revolution, but formal religion is an instrument of ethnic identity formation: a means of uniting groups that are only distantly related in genetic terms and making it possible for them to cooperate in peace and war. What it does is take the supernatural beings and forces of primitive belief and arrogate their power to the state. The unseen entities provided a lever for the ambitious.

edit on 5/9/16 by Astyanax because: of a few trimmings.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: GailNot

You're demented and twisted.

No, my friend, it is you who have swallowed the demented and twisted propaganda of those who invented an all-powerful being and then arrogated His power to themselves.

What is more demented and twisted than the belief that God would create animals capable of feeling pain, anxiety and stress, and then fill their lives with hunger, disease, parasites and mutilating accidents? What is more demented and twisted than the idea that a loving, benevolent and all-powerful Creator mandates war, genocide, murder, torture, oppression and cruelty just to teach us poor, weak, fallible humans who’s boss?

What is more demented and twisted than the idea that a benevolent, all-powerful God would create smallpox, or wasps that paralyze caterpillars so that their larvae can eat them alive, male anglerfish that must spend their entire lives as tiny parasites inside the female’s body, and the rest of the catalogue of natural horrors that are part of this world we live in?

What is more demented and twisted than the idea of sacrifice, the idea that Almighty God demands placation for the offences humans have given Him in the form of a human life? I’ll tell you what: it’s the idea that God would, furthermore, sacrifice Himself to Himself in order to expiate the ‘sins’ of the world. Which He caused us to commit in the first place, by making us the way we are. Or was that a mistake? Did God botch His work when he created humanity?

The Greek philosopher Epicurus summed up the absurdity of belief in that kind of God long before Christ was born. I never tire of quoting his words:

If God is good, whence cometh evil?
Is He unable to prevent it? Then He is not omnipotent.
Is He unwilling? Then He is not good.
Is he neither able nor willing? Then He is not God.

The excuse Christians (and some others) make for God is that all this pain and suffering was brought upon the world by the sins of humanity. Tell me, is Mr Omnipotent up there in the sky unable to intervene because human free will is so important to Him that it’s worth all the blood and tears? Sorry, not buying it. Or is God imposing all this suffering and horror on the world in order to punish wrongdoers? Sorry, not buying that either. The price is way, way, way too high.

It is time the world, especially the Christian and Islamic worlds, grew up and left behind these savage, bloodthirsty beliefs.

edit on 5/9/16 by Astyanax because: of more trimmings.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: GailNot

I didn't whine about it. I told you a fact. People are sick, twisted and broken. There are horrible people out there doing horrible, horrible things. But your God let's it happen.

I NEVER whined about the problems of mankind. I am one of those people who believes we as a species can fix it ourselves. Through education, technology and solidarity, mankind can move forward and advance and proogate our species off this planet and outwards. I fully believe that.

We do not need the outdated, made up concepts of God to achieve this.

You too are also free to believe in what you want. But your 'God' has been nothing but an evil, manipulative, psychopathic mass murderer who taunts and teases us mere mortals for his own sick pleasure.

Who would send "their son" to earth and have him tortured and killed in order to save us? No one. Or if he did, God is one sick f**k. Why did your God promote child abuse? Why did he let all those Catholic priests sexually molest children for so long? Why didn't he stop them? What horrible crimes did those children do to deserve that?

Either he exists and couldn't care less, or, more probably as the evidence (or lack thereof implies), he does not and this is all down to sick, sick humans.

To you last comment. I do want a solution. And that solution is the evaporation of religion. It's time for people like you to grow up.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Lets assume that that some people have gone thru certain changes in their lives that cause shifts in awareness both mental and body where souls can look at themselves and everything in creation. Let's also assume that they have felt how it feels to be caressed by something else. Depending on their subjective experience/indoctrination in life they will understand their experience.

But these experiences can be tested with a scientific mind that tests things and replicates things and seeks answers that are very complex compared to some man made religions.

So I do not doubt the experience of being caressed by a divine being.

In eastern philosophies it can be described as creation/whole entering a specific part of the body manifesting as an chi energy vibration causing bliss and calmness.

These experiences will create religions until they are understood in a scientific where these experiences are measured and replicated. This shift have already started but most souls are not aware of it since the ones doing it are still not mainstream.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I often wonder what would happen if an Alien life form actually visited Earth publicly, so to speak and told the people of the the world that there was no God.
Would peoples of religion accept the statement, disown their idols and cease religious wars etc or would life and slaughter just carry on as normal in the name of religion?

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

I have often advised people; if you want a job with all the work picked out of it, where you can walk around with a smug look of superiority and disapproval on your face, become a priest.

No! Wait!

That's what I say about being a cop.

Oh well, a whole lot the same thing, I guess.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I think there is a difference between worshipping the moon because it brought light within darkness, or the elk spirit because it brought meat, or the river because it brought fish, and creating all encompassing unseen entities like Marduk or Ishtar. The moon, the elk, or the river were not unseen entities but were very visible, they were part of their daily life and they had very functional relations with them. But with creating unseen entities like Marduk or Ishtar, it was an attempt to connect themselves to something bigger, to recreate a bond that they had lost, but also an attempt to explain their apparent alienness.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: eatbliss

Buddhism does not have "many gods" - you're thinking of Hindu.

Buddhism is a philosophy, that is correct. The goal of the soul is to achieve nirvana, and thus break the cycle of reincarnationn. "Nirvana" is what Gautama Buddha found in letting go of desires, allowing emotions to pass through oneself while acknowledging their existence, and to attain mindful existence, knowing that everything is exactly as it is supposed to be at every moment.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
dp

edit on 9/7/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

a reply to: eatbliss

That's some pretty twisted thinking there.

Like God himself said:

"The Rock, perfect is his activity, For all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness who is never unjust; Righteous and upright is he. They are the ones who have acted corruptly. They are not his children, the defect is their own. They are a crooked and twisted generation!" - Deuteronomy 32:4, 5.

The defect is their own. It isn't God's. So while yes he is perfect and didn't create anything imperfect, when the man sinned he became imperfect. When Satan sinned he became imperfect.

So they chose imperfection by themselves. God did not do it. He allowed it because he gives us free-will.

And he has chosen to allow the rebellious course of angels and man for a certain time limit. It will not always be so. He will do away with all badness and restore mankind to perfection even as he has promised.

Yeah - all that stuff you typed there? So much nope.

Twisted and hopelessly brainwashed.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Yeah - all that stuff you typed there? So much nope.

Twisted and hopelessly brainwashed.

That's not very zen of you. Does Buddhism promote a superiority complex? Rather than heaving unwarranted insult, you could "enlighten" the "hopelessly brainwashed" with your apparently superior philosophy...

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

Not very "zen"?

No. Buddhism promotes loss of ego entirely, and does not judge.

What insult did I heave?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: noonebutme

How deviously horrible. God is all love and peace....except when you p*ss him off. Then he's a vindictive bully.

You sound like a child when he is upset that his daddy took away his toys for the sake of discipline.

If this is your truth then you can keep it. I don't want your genocidal delusions, thanks.

Discipline serves a purpose - you can either learn from it or ignore it. Ignoring it will cause you to stumble on the same issues in the future.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

You sound like a child when he is upset that his daddy took away his toys for the sake of discipline.

And you sound like a shoeshine boy who sings the praises of and makes excuses for the rich, sadistic factory owner who tosses him pennies.

Discipline serves a purpose - you can either learn from it or ignore it.

Discipline serves the purposes of the disciplinarian.

Here’s an illustration of how to learn from discipline. I hope you enjoy it; you sound like you would.

edit on 8/9/16 by Astyanax because: of a possessive.

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Isn't it remarkable how a discussion of religion breeds such animosity and disrespect.
I don't think we have to look farther than that for the origin.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Here’s an illustration of how to learn from discipline. I hope you enjoy it; you sound like you would.

Relocating, capturing, and enslaving Elephants is not a relevant analogy for a father disciplining a son

originally posted by: Astyanax

Discipline serves the purposes of the disciplinarian.

So you're implying that discipline serves no purpose for the child? Should we not discipline our children? This seems silly, a child will go wild with immorality and destruction if they are not disciplined correctly. Sure, a child may cry when you take away his toys, but he must realize what he is doing is wrong - otherwise he will pay more intense consequences for his actions later from someone else who is not his loving father.

originally posted by: charlyv
Isn't it remarkable how a discussion of religion breeds such animosity and disrespect.
I don't think we have to look farther than that for the origin.

Discussions regarding absolute truth can become hostile, people have killed for what they thought was protecting the truth - which ironically is the antithesis to absolute truth.
edit on 9-9-2016 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: studio500
I often wonder what would happen if an Alien life form actually visited Earth publicly, so to speak and told the people of the the world that there was no God.
Would peoples of religion accept the statement, disown their idols and cease religious wars etc or would life and slaughter just carry on as normal in the name of religion?

Just a thought.
Aliens, angels, Pokeman, nor even God itself could appear and change the mind of a 'true believer'. They would believe the aliens, and whatnot, were from the master deceiver, and they would soon have another enemy that might very well fulfill their hopeful dreams of Armageddon, in a very real way...except, possibly, for the part about them getting whisked off into heaven.

It is really hard to change the minds of those that need to believe dogmatically. At best, they just find a nice tidy classification for the new information, and its source, that somehow fits into their belief system, or, they just ignore information, altogether, if it is too hard to fit into said system. The Evolution vs. Creationism debate is a great example of both of those dynamics at work. It really helps if you use a closed system, where new information is just not in the picture, at all, and utilize circular logic to explain the information you do hold. (i.e." I know The Bible was written by God, and is completely true, because God says it is completely true when he wrote it in The Bible .")

If plain, simple, logic doesn't work, it is kind of a lost cause. Religions often hijack the rational mind, to allow it to accept the things it desires to understand, but cannot, rationally, so enters the delusion. And, no doubt about it, delusion is a powerful thing. I am sure we all suffer from a bit of it. It is just hard to see it as being delusional when it comes to your own beliefs.

I think the healthiest mindset is to investigate openly, create whatever belief or system of beliefs that work for you, and the only one true belief you should hold as sacred above all others, is the belief that your beliefs may be entirely wrong, which could be the case. It may contradict the notion of faith, and make everyone more honest and agnostic, but the world might be a better place because of it. It is harder to kill someone when their belief differs if you hold doubt regarding your own, and the possibility that you could be wrong. Not many wish to murder someone, for no good reason, and, beliefs are often devoid of good reason, altogether.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join