It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Q and A with a 100 Year Old Man

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: SentientCentenarian
a reply to: Aazadan

I don't think we're really adults until we hit 30 or so. May be even worse for your generation, there's so much more to learn.

My fear is, what's going to be left by the wayside because you all don't have time to learn everything?

This is something I've thought about a lot. The more time passes, the more there is to learn. Perhaps this is just a consequence of my field of study where you always have to keep up on new developments but I feel like life these days is simply in a place where there is always something new to learn, and you're never really free to take a break from doing so. I think that what people most often give up in order to learn the past, is time to think about the future. it certainly seems like in my lifetime atleast, people always make shorter and shorter term decisions.

First off, I need to correct you a bit on telephones - they were in general use (even in our small town in Iowa!) by the time I can remember, the late 1919 era or so.. it was a two piece affair and you lifted the earpiece and the operator would come on and you would tell her the person or number you wanted. If you didn't know or it was long distance, she would look it up for you. It was a party line and it was common for someone else to be on yakking and you were supposed to hang up immediately if you heard 'Gladys talking about her lumbago' ... or not, and eavesdrop. If it was an emergency and only then, you were allowed to ask them to hang up because of whatever your emergency was.

I see, I must be off a bit on dates then. I'm mainly going off the frame of reference of my great grandma and the stories she would tell. She lived to be 104, but she was born in 1891, so I suppose things would be a bit different 25 years later.

As far as cell phones and tiny buttons go, it's a lot like typing. You just learn where the keys are rather than look at them.

Anyways, a couple more questions if you don't mind.

I know you were in Iowa, which is a bit removed from Chicago, but Al Capone was a national figure. How was he treated by the media of the time compared to the celebrity billionaires today?

And one other, what was the nation like in the post WW1 era? Did everyone feel invincible having come out on the other side of the biggest war that had ever been waged to that point? Did the roaring 20's really feel like a party that was never going to end?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

No, my long distance days are over. I was invited on an 'Honor Flight' where they take you to Washington D.C. to see all the Veteran's memorials and the changing of the guard at the unknown soldier. I decided San Diego to D.C. for just one day was too much. Besides, I've seen all those already. I'd rather go to the Smithsonian, you could spend your whole life in there and never see it all.

I've never been to Europe, we just traveled all the states when the kids were younger and spent a lot of time in Nevada and Arizona looking for arrowheads. I have hundreds of them. Good tip - follow behind a plow in Kansas or Iowa and it will stir up arrowheads and other Indian stuff.

My big regret is never getting to Egypt to see the pyramids but magic box will have to suffice.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

a reply to: Aazadan

I don't think we're really adults until we hit 30 or so. May be even worse for your generation, there's so much more to learn.

My fear is, what's going to be left by the wayside because you all don't have time to learn everything?

This is something I've thought about a lot. The more time passes, the more there is to learn. Perhaps this is just a consequence of my field of study where you always have to keep up on new developments but I feel like life these days is simply in a place where there is always something new to learn, and you're never really free to take a break from doing so. I think that what people most often give up in order to learn the past, is time to think about the future. it certainly seems like in my lifetime atleast, people always make shorter and shorter term decisions.

First off, I need to correct you a bit on telephones - they were in general use (even in our small town in Iowa!) by the time I can remember, the late 1919 era or so.. it was a two piece affair and you lifted the earpiece and the operator would come on and you would tell her the person or number you wanted. If you didn't know or it was long distance, she would look it up for you. It was a party line and it was common for someone else to be on yakking and you were supposed to hang up immediately if you heard 'Gladys talking about her lumbago' ... or not, and eavesdrop. If it was an emergency and only then, you were allowed to ask them to hang up because of whatever your emergency was.

I see, I must be off a bit on dates then. I'm mainly going off the frame of reference of my great grandma and the stories she would tell. She lived to be 104, but she was born in 1891, so I suppose things would be a bit different 25 years later.

As far as cell phones and tiny buttons go, it's a lot like typing. You just learn where the keys are rather than look at them.

Anyways, a couple more questions if you don't mind.

I know you were in Iowa, which is a bit removed from Chicago, but Al Capone was a national figure. How was he treated by the media of the time compared to the celebrity billionaires today?

And one other, what was the nation like in the post WW1 era? Did everyone feel invincible having come out on the other side of the biggest war that had ever been waged to that point? Did the roaring 20's really feel like a party that was never going to end?

Al Capone and Bonnie and Clyde were like Trump today! LOL - they caused a sensation. Everybody was rooting for them!

Not sure how to answer your question about the roaring 20s; I would have been in grammar and high school and more or less oblivious. I don't remember getting a newspaper every day, only news from the radio and I would have only half listened to that. Too busy sledding and bringing in firewood and getting dinner (I shot a lot of peasants) and working on airplanes and cars.

One thing that scares me now and parallels 'then' with 'now' is Hitler/Trump. The news about Hitler coming out of Europe in 1938 or so was like storm clouds gathering. Feels like that again now. He's setting off all kind of deja vu feelings in me. The man is exceedingly dangerous and a psychopath. He has no soul. Hillary's a crook and has used her position to enrich herself; I can't imagine the life she leads. Who would want to just shake hands with people and give boring speeches all day long? What possesses them, if not money and power? They seem to have little to show for it as far as real good works done, just lots of money. When is enough, enough? Trump just wants the attention and will do anything to get it, Hillary is more complicated but just as bad in her own way. If she just wanted to do good deeds, she could have run the Foundation (legally and above board) and spread the cash around to where it was really useful. I don't see any real evidence that that has occurred, and her days are spent burning jet fuel.

Obviously, don't get me started...

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
One other thing I should add - everyone thinks now that 'we won the war' - meaning WWI.

It wasn't like that; the Spanish Flu killed so many people that it essentially ended the war. People were dying on troop ships like flies; healthy when they got on, dead before they could make the passage. Whole towns were quarantined and it killed especially quickly the young people - the 20 year olds. 'Fine at breakfast, sick at lunch, dead by dinner' was common. People were terrified. It spread globally quickly and just shut down the war; if that hadn't happened, WWI probably would have lasted another year or two.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

Thank you for your absolutely fascinating thread

I spent hours with many centenarians in a former career life, one of my roles was visiting everyone in my region who would be turning 100 the next day. It was masked as an overall 'welfare visit' 4 hour afternoon dedicated to it if appropriate, talking to them assessing their overall well being, make any phone calls to other agencies if I thought appropriate, enjoy a cup of tea and a chat...but most importantly to phone London in the evening to say "Yep the Queen's card/telegram is good to go, they are alive".

I gave up the deception pretty damn fast, the majority of the folk I visited were as sharp as knives, mentally aware, and really really lovely funny people with amazing stories!!
After initial greetings I'd just say something cheekily like "So first important tick in a box is you are still alive so Her Majesty will not be shamed when she sends her card!" I got a laugh every time, then always a cup of tea, sometimes some Brandy or Gin, and always the most wonderfully enriching experience which I'd usually last out the afternoon.

I wish I knew somebody really old, the oldest person I know, who is actually a bit of a replacement Dad for me in many ways, is aged only 60. I miss that particular job, I absolutely loved it, and your thread has flashed me back to some beautiful memories of fantastically beautiful people.

Thank you for posting the thread

*Edit*
Oh, and centenarians in my experience were nearly all staunch Royalists so my "Her Majesty" line was intentional to get away with being cheeky with the truth of the visit...I've never used "Her Majesty" to anyone else...just that particular demographic back then generally liked it.
One old lady did say "Her Majesty?! She can shove that #ing card where the sun don't shine!!" ...and I burst out laughing, she was really funny, liked her a lot!

Different worlds, amazing personal histories, I enjoy your posts, and genuinely hope you are not a skilled team of 20 somethings just pretending!
edit on 9.9.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Oh, and sorry for the side-track, my question, I asked it at most visits...
Which decade do you reminisce about most?

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Oh, and sorry for the side-track, my question, I asked it at most visits...
Which decade do you reminisce about most?

I'd love to talk to 'Her Majesty' - got a phone number?
She's been Queen more than half my life!

Still waiting on my card from Obama; my son applied for it months early but we never got it for some reason. Maybe he found out I didn't vote for him.

Best decade - 1930s; graduated, got the girl, got the Model A, flew a lot, moved from Iowa to California and back again a few times (I got a job at Douglas immediately on getting to Long Beach, but after a few years they offered me a job back in Des Moines overseeing the start of a new factory, then moved yet again back to California.

Funny that would have been 'good times' because of the depression but the 30s turned into the 40s quickly, then the kids came along and I was drafted and managed to not only live through that, but had a free 2 year tourist-y visit to Japan along with 'seeing the world' in a way I never otherwise would have. Big and early introduction to reality, there. Cynicism started there with the realization that politicians are dangerous people and not like us; most 'real' people are good and honorable. There's an odd demarcation in my mind between '1920s' and the 1940s - peacetime and wartime.
Then another one post 1963. I don't think this country is what the 1776 bunch had in mind, post JFK's assassination. Franklin was right ''a Democratic Republic, if you can keep it" - nope. Looks like not. Too much money to be made subverting it.

" genuinely hope you are not a skilled team of 20 somethings just pretending!'

- I sent what I hope was 'proof' of who I am to one of the mods, Argentus, a few days ago; a local newspaper article about me. After I turned 100 reporters came out of the woodwork. Wonder if the same thing will happen for 101?

I think the technology has evolved so much that a 'skilled team of 20 somethings' wouldn't be able to 'reproduce' me, any more than I could fake their world.

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Got the girl and the car!
I love that! Thanks for the interesting and full reply, I will enjoy engaging with you on the forums very much, just tonight I'm a bit drunk so I'll not shame myself, I'm even hiding from facebook on the magic box so I don't appear active to my non-digital world friends.
ATS is my escape.

*Edit*
I love it because 'got the girl, got the car, got the house' was the favourite years for every 'day before centenarian' I met.
...and pretty much everyone in the UK is on 'the database' even travellers/gypsies, they claim child benefit...the Queen knows when everyone turns 100! [insert sinister muhahaha lagh]

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Another question, what do you think of a constitutional monarchy head of state compared to the presidential system of whatever it is you have over your side of the Atlantic?

...at least the Queen can do pretty much nothing here regarding how the laws are passed, it would be a constitutional crisis and the monarchy would lose to Parliament if the people didn't agree. She just shakes hands and smiles, perhaps giving her two pence at the weekly meetings with the Prime Ministers, but generally toothless.

*Edit*
...or she could have teeth like sharks and every Prime Minister craps their pants every time on the way to the weekly chat lol

posted on Sep, 9 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Another question, what do you think of a constitutional monarchy head of state compared to the presidential system of whatever it is you have over your side of the Atlantic?

...at least the Queen can do pretty much nothing here regarding how the laws are passed, it would be a constitutional crisis and the monarchy would lose to Parliament if the people didn't agree. She just shakes hands and smiles, perhaps giving her two pence at the weekly meetings with the Prime Ministers, but generally toothless.

*Edit*
...or she could have teeth like sharks and every Prime Minister craps their pants every time on the way to the weekly chat lol

Weekly meetings? Wow, that'd be a bore.

I think we should have a head of state here whose job is to go to public events and wave and smile and another one who actually is the workhorse/policy wonk of the two. The job is too much for even two people, but it'd be a start.

I'm starting to think we need another 'watering of the tree of Liberty' as a revolution would be termed.

A choice between Hillary and Trump might as well be a choice between the guillotine or firing squad.

Before, at least they pretended to give us two semi-coherent choices.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

I think we should have a head of state here whose job is to go to public events and wave and smile and another one who actually is the workhorse/policy wonk of the two. The job is too much for even two people, but it'd be a start.

That's pretty much how it is here, the Queen waves and smiles, signs a few things off, but Parliament and the government made up of the party with most MP's decide the gig...the ruling party chooses the Prime Minister and he/she makes the decisions.

Only another 10 years to go and the Queen will be 100, I wonder if she'll make it that long as head of state or pass the job on to her son.
Could you imagine doing the head of state thing at your age? Would you even want to?

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Alright, I thought of another question. Your perception of the current election mirrors the general perception which is that all of the candidates are horrible. Can you think back to a time where voting was difficult because people in general were really excited about both choices and couldn't decide who they liked more? Or in the moment did the politics of the moment always seem distasteful?

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Hello, dear SentientCentenarian.

You seem to be a very nice person. I suspect we
would become friends if we met. It's too bad I
live all the way over in Sweden. Have you been
to Sweden? You're more than welcome here! ;-)
I've been to the USA (Florida) three times. :-)

Have you heard about the Swedish book called
"The 100 year-old man who climbed out the
window and disappeared"? I haven't read the
book, but I saw the movie based on the book
and it was a fun adventure. The movie's
available with English subtitles. Trailer:
www.youtube.com...

I registered here so I could write to you.

Thank you for your time!

Take care!

Kind regards, Mattias

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Nope, wouldn't want anything to do with being a 'head of state' - sounds deadly boring. If maneuvered into it, I'd run off with a few of the crown jewels and disappear. Like Audrey Hepburn in 'Roman Holiday' only I wouldn't come back.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
Alright, I thought of another question. Your perception of the current election mirrors the general perception which is that all of the candidates are horrible. Can you think back to a time where voting was difficult because people in general were really excited about both choices and couldn't decide who they liked more? Or in the moment did the politics of the moment always seem distasteful?

Good question - Maybe Kennedy vs. Nixon. Both men had their strong proponents but neither was seen in a negative light, at least at the time. I suspect Kennedy only won because he was so handsome and got the female vote. And we all saw how that worked out for him :-/

I can't think of anyone since that has had everyone excited that much. Ronald Reagan, maybe but he was acting more than he was a statesman. I suspect after his assassination attempt, Bush I was really running the country (Bush had already been head of the CIA, VP was a step down for him and boy did he have connections). Reagan was given scripts to read, Bush was behind the scenes.

That's a really good question, I'll have to think more about it

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mattiac
Hello, dear SentientCentenarian.

You seem to be a very nice person. I suspect we
would become friends if we met. It's too bad I
live all the way over in Sweden. Have you been
to Sweden? You're more than welcome here! ;-)
I've been to the USA (Florida) three times. :-)

Have you heard about the Swedish book called
"The 100 year-old man who climbed out the
window and disappeared"? I haven't read the
book, but I saw the movie based on the book
and it was a fun adventure. The movie's
available with English subtitles. Trailer:
www.youtube.com...

I registered here so I could write to you.

Thank you for your time!

Take care!

Kind regards, Mattias

Awww, thank you! I hope you saw on the site and contribute more. We need the input of people from other countries, quite badly I think.

I have never been to Sweden or any of Europe. Just all over the US and Japan during the war. I don't think I can travel that far, ever again.

I will check out your video link, thank you!

Oh, that was WONDERFUL! It's like Forrest Gump with atom bombs!

"If you want to kill me, you better hurry, I'm 100 years old!!:

Bwhahahahahah!

Thanks for the laugh, Mattias!

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
This thread reminded me of a movie I saw..

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: AtlantisWasReal
This thread reminded me of a movie I saw..

One of my all time favorite movies! Thank you for posting this, I wanted to several times but somehow never got around to it. It's fascinating.

Written by Jerome Bixby who wrote a similar piece for the original Star Trek series called 'Requiem for Methuselah'.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Bootifool

I'd love to hear more about your past lives.
Could you share some more details?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join