It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING:: Philippines, Davao BLAST kills 14 and rising, Muslim extremist (suspected)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Well this is not something I wanted to wake up to,

This is Breaking right now.

As you may be aware I am currently in the Philippines at the moment and local time is 4.30 am approx and news is just coming in that a large blast has hit a night market in Davao city. The current death toll has reached 14 with another 60 injured.

I have extended family in the region and it is known to be the place that the current Filipino President was Mayor before taking office.

There has been a on going exercise in the Mindanao region of the country against Aby Sayyaf, Muslim extremist that have ties to Daesh. The military moved in on operation but have sustained casualties in fighting. This is in response to a "Young local villager" being beheaded.

www.bbc.com...

Abu Sayyaf have reportedly said they will be retaliating with attacks in the near future.

I have to stress at this moment that nothing is confirmed but the timing of this incident and the location is subject to speculation that this may well be a bomb blast on a civilian target by Muslim extremist in what is President Dutertes known region.

The situation within Mindanao has gone on for many years without anything really being done I guess only time will tell if this current exercise will have any long term success of ridding the Philippines of this Cancer..

Link
edition.cnn.com...

cnnphilippines.com...

www.aljazeera.com...

Twitter
twitter.com...

EDIT:: Death toll is at 14..

EDIT::: Loose reports coming in that it is confirmed to be a bomb blast carried out by Abu Sayyaf, local time 05:04am...

EDIT spokesman said investigators had found shrapnel from a mortar-based improvised explosive device (IED) at the scene 05:14AM

RA
edit on 2-9-2016 by slider1982 because: added

edit on 2-9-2016 by slider1982 because: added due to changing situation

edit on 2-9-2016 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-9-2016 by slider1982 because: added

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

I hope your family is safe. Bad news.

Abu Sayyaf has a small number of members, around 500, but appears to be very violent and opportunistic. They are known throughout the west for their kidnappings.

Is Muslim extremism rampant in the Philippines, or is this fairly recent?

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
When i read this in germany this morning, i just thought:

This is just the beginning, can be just the beginning, with such a lunatic like Duterte in power.
Same for Turkey and Erdogan.

People can stand a lot of injustice and state terrorism, but then comes the time when too much is just too much.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The victims were probably just islamophobe who were asking for it. (Sarcasm)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

I hope your family is safe. Bad news.

Abu Sayyaf has a small number of members, around 500, but appears to be very violent and opportunistic. They are known throughout the west for their kidnappings.

Is Muslim extremism rampant in the Philippines, or is this fairly recent?

It is far from rampant but in the southern region Mindanao it is very much a Muslim strong hold, as a westerner it would be suicidal to go there without local support. Like anywhere in the world it just takes a low IQ and to be easily lead to commit such acts because of a bloody book. Sadly we see this all to often the world over with what I am constantly fed is a religion of peace??.. That is still speculation however until this incident is confirmed.

RA

EDIT NOW "LOOKS" TO BE CONFIRMED AS A BOMB BLAST......

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I'm Filipino Canadian.

This is quite tragic. I fear that a civil war between Philippines and the terrorists will be coming.

edit on 2-9-2016 by KevinIsZebraman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Sad, hope everythings ok
edit on 9/2/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
The victims were probably just islamophobe who were asking for it. (Sarcasm)

Fantastic contribution.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Sadly we see this all to often the world over with what I am constantly fed is a religion of peace??

No greater lie has ever been sold in modern times.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: KevinIsZebraman

Hopefully US doesn't get involved or else China will get involved. Either way one of them faction or US will try false flags on China in South China Sea to drag China into the fight blaming it on so called Rebels, ehm Terrorists.
edit on 2-9-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Why would China get involved if the US did??.. They are not going to send a Aircraft carrier and pitch it up in the South China sea to then have copious war planes flying CAP to then do a "Normandy style landing"...

This is a internal Filipino problem that has gone unchecked for years, the only thing the US will do if anything is send a couple of advisors for a long vacation and that will be about it.

Back on topic, I fully expect the Military response to this to be devastating, I really hope the Army generals are the right people now as the last time the elite special action force went to Mindanao they where slaughtered in a ambush a totally hideous situation for those soldiers to be put into and showed the weak failing of the army brass back then..

This was always going to be the real problem area in the Philippines and I know the Filipino people will want nothing but 100% victory in the area...

Re: The islamaphobe comment. Truthfully though when will people stop making excuses for this religion??. What is the current yearly death toll now?.. Quite how in 2016 such a stupid cult has managed to get to where it is is mind bending and stupid.. What does it say when the Philippines has a population of near on 99 Million Catholics yet a handful in comparison of Muslim have caused so many problems..

RA

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
lets see if duerte takes the same stance on terrorism as he does with drugs.

time for him to get tough with people actually killing innocents.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
This makes me very suspicious. Davao is the city the dictator was mayor of and proudly proclaimed how safe he had made it. And Duterte had talked about working for peace with Abu Sayyaf. Of course these crazies do not actually want peace, but I would think they would at least try to negotiate (extort). What reason would they have to suddenly do this?

Much as the false flag talk is annoying, I think this is a case where it could be. With Duterte loving his martial law (curfews and such even before this and now an alcohol ban; why ban alcohol after a terror attack?), and the many stories about his police officers killing people left and right without trial, it would not surprise me at all if this were a setup to tighten his grip.

And if it can be PROVEN to be Abu Sayyaf, then go hard. Take them all out.
edit on 2-9-2016 by JimSmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimSmith
This makes me very suspicious. Davao is the city the dictator was mayor of and proudly proclaimed how safe he had made it. And Duterte had talked about working for peace with Abu Sayyaf. Of course these crazies do not actually want peace, but I would think they would at least try to negotiate (extort). What reason would they have to suddenly do this?

Much as the false flag talk is annoying, I think this is a case where it could be. With Duterte loving his martial law (curfews and such even before this and now an alcohol ban; why ban alcohol after a terror attack?), and the many stories about his police officers killing people left and right without trial, it would not surprise me at all if this were a setup to tighten his grip.

And if it can be PROVEN to be Abu Sayyaf, then go hard. Take them all out.

Peace talks with Abu Sayyaf broke down the Military have been in Mindanao for a number of weeks now, there is fighting going on as we speak, the Local news here is running coverage...

The Bomb blast is retaliation for the Military step up (If that is to be believed make up your own mind?)..

www.gmanetwork.com...

Mindanao should have been sorted out years ago when this crap first started, it was worth noting that Duterte was in Davao yesterday for a speech regarding Mindanao..

RA

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I live in the Philippines as well and was living down there in Mindanao but moved after seeing how dangerous it was in the part i was in,seeing army helicopters flyby every morning was normal and being the only white guy in town in a high Muslin population area kept me off the streets after dark so it was best to move on.

I have a fear Abu Syef will up their game into other tactics aimed at Westerners and resorts in other parts of the Philippines and turn this paradise into a blood bath of indiscriminate carnage.

I hope Duterte wipes them off the face of the Earth before they can gather momentum.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I could have sworn that was the Communists that talks broke down with ... or was it both?
edit on 2-9-2016 by JimSmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: southbeach

I live in the Philippines as well and was living down there in Mindanao but moved after seeing how dangerous it was in the part i was in,seeing army helicopters flyby every morning was normal and being the only white guy in town in a high Muslin population area kept me off the streets after dark so it was best to move on.

I have a fear Abu Syef will up their game into other tactics aimed at Westerners and resorts in other parts of the Philippines and turn this paradise into a blood bath of indiscriminate carnage.

I hope Duterte wipes them off the face of the Earth before they can gather momentum.

I think I may have spoken with you before on another thread about Mindanao, yeah as a white westerner it is not worth risk being there and what is the point of being in the Philippines where you will be welcomed almost anywhere and live in the part where you are at risk..

I am fairly certain that Duterte will sort this situation out, he is not someone that seems to faff about plus with the population behind him I see little else that could happen, if he fails here that would be a big blow...

RA

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

They will if US send mass troops in. Duterte specifically in a neutral stance. He already complained about UN. If anything, it is close to China and rest of Asia. It will become a threat to China and rest of Asia as they don't want Nuclear Arsenals on Philly. Them biggest terrorist will some how give Philly Nukes. If US invades, China has the right to go in and help. Plus Philly Civil war will not only drag China into to the proxy war, but countries close to it such as Malaysia, etc. The other countries are not as strong as Phillipines. Broken off factions could just attack other SEA countries. Just like in Vietnam and Korean War. US was getting too close interfering Asian affairs. China doesn't want a puppet government of US. That is what US always do since then.

Right now Dutete stance is against China of South China Sea, if US tries to do something about him, he will invite China in. Other than that. Broken factions attacking Chinese or false flag can drag China in.
edit on 2-9-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimSmith

I could have sworn that was the Communists that talks broke down with ... or was it both?

Indeed both,

He tried to get a peace agreement with Abu Sayyaf and there where low level talks to try and establish a truce that would end the Kidnapping and overall BS that these morons keep getting away. I think the fact that mortars where going off when he attended the area kidda says piss off..

news.abs-cbn.com...

You cannot reason with a simple mindset that has extremist views in which they believe their actions are making god happy.

RA

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

They will if US send mass troops in. Duterte specifically in a neutral stance. He already complained about UN. If anything, it is close to China and rest of Asia. It will become a threat to China and rest of Asia as they don't want Nuclear Arsenals on Philly. Them biggest terrorist will some how give Philly Nukes. If US invades, China has the right to go in and help. Plus Philly Civil war will not only drag China into to the proxy war, but countries close to it such as Malaysia, etc. The other countries are not as strong as Phillipines. Broken off factions could just attack other SEA countries. Just like in Vietnam and Korean War. US was getting too close interfering Asian affairs. China doesn't want a puppet government of US. That is what US always do since then.

Sorry but you have lost me there..

No US troops other than a handful of Special forces will be here, there will be no mass troop landings in the Philippines.. Do you think a tired army that has been in a dessert the last decade fighting Extremist and failing is going to be able to have any impact in the Philippines when you are facing Jungle warfare and the same mindset extremist?. Look at Vietnam for what Jungle warfare is like, the Philippines Military should be able to deal with this the problem and are best suited to do so, but you will need to wait and see just how ruthless it will turn out..

I also do not class 98 Million Catholic Filipinos vs a handful of Muslim extremist a civil war.

More likely than your prediction above, the current situation in the country will bring Pinoy Pride to the forefront and a "every man" militia will head in with the army and the shear number man v man will see a convincing win to this situation..

RA

top topics

<<   2 >>

join