It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The DEA's Crazy Kratom Ban Dresses Pharmacological Phobia In Scientific Garb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Kratom comes from a tree, Mitragyna speciosa, that is native to Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Myanmar, and Papua New Guinea. It has gained a following in the United States only recently, hawked by online merchants and head shops as an herbal medicine, “dietary supplement,” or legal high. As far as the DEA is concerned, the fact that people in other countries have used kratom for centuries to ease pain, boost work performance, and wean themselves from opiate addiction counts for nothing. All the DEA needs to know is that our shores have been invaded by a foreign drug that is increasingly popular among Americans as a home remedy and recreational intoxicant. From the DEA’s perspective, that is intolerable, regardless of the drug’s benefits.

The DEA's Crazy Kratom Ban Dresses Pharmacological Phobia In Scientific Garb

This one really gets me mad; if your unfamiliar with Kratom,it is a completely natural, plant based substance that is indigenous to Thailand, Indonesia, and that part of the world. It has been used by a long time by people in these regions of the world as a pick me upper as well as to ease depression. Here in America, people have been benefiting from Kratoms potential in treating opiate addiction as it has a mild opiate effect (although no where near as strong as a full blown opiate) as well as treating depression, and overall proving a general sense of well being.

But wait, God forbid we self medicate with something that is NATURAL and not a pharmaceutical, so the DEA has Scheduled 1 Kratom, which means it will completely be illegal throughout the entire United Sates by the end of this month ( September).

The fact that the DEA is banning this is another slap in the face to us this year, the first one being of course earlier this year when the DEA announced that Marijuana would remain a schedule 1 substance.

Kratom greatly improves the quality of life of many whom want to avoid the harsh side effects of pharmaceutical drugs and seek a more natural approach. The fact that it's being banned is truly a sad day to many whom benefit from this wonderful substance.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: sekerofknowlege

They're cracking down on non-FDA products since they can't control it or profit off of it as much.

This is really sad to hear... corporate interests and the police state have a vise-grip on the whole of US

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Already posted here

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
luxury.rehabs.com...

Most recently, 2014 has seen the highest number of drug overdose deaths on record, reaching nearly 50,000 in a single year.4 Opioids – which may include both prescription pain relievers and heroin – have accounted for 61% of all drug overdose deaths in this same year.

ethics.harvard.edu...

t systematic reviews of hospital charts found that even properly prescribed drugs (aside from misprescribing, overdosing, or self-prescribing) cause about 1.9 million hospitalizations a year.

en.wikipedia.org...

According to the DEA, 15 deaths in the United States between 2014 and 2016 were caused by kratom.[9]

Quick!! Outlaw that dangerous drug that's killed 15 people in 2 years!!
But keep pushing that Big Pharma crap.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Well, staying true to their names, the DEA continues to enforce (cause something to happen by neccessity or force) harmful drugs on the populace.

Every other commercial is a pharmeceutical for illness that we didn't know we had or didn't have before all the junk in the air, food, water, etc.

The anti-depressants turn 1/100 users into psychopaths but those are deemed "safe".

Pretty depressing news, really. Time to call the ol doc and get a pill for that.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
It's intolerable to the DEA because Kratom's popularity is cutting into Big Pharma's profits.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
If drug interdiction worked, we'd be rid of heroin, coc aine and marijuana; instead they're supposedly at epidemic proportions in certain towns, and I have to figure that a lot of those Friday and Saturday night Chicago shootings are directly related to drug territory disputes.

The US government makes out on both sides of this - the military is guarding the poppy crop in Afghanistan, then bringing the stuff into the states, laundering money through Wall Street banks, profiting from seizing drugs and assets as 'illegal' at both the local and federal level and profiting again with private prisons and pharmaceutical company lobbying money.

And don't ever let anyone fool you, the same chemical companies that gave the world Zyklon that the Nazis used to gas millions of people, are now our most 'trusted' drug companies. That's where your 'chemo' therapy will come from when the other chemical companies conveniently give you cancer from poisoning the food and water supply.

This is one of the reasons I'm voting Libertarian. It's Constitutional and free-market based, with a side order of Darwin. If someone wants to do heroin after an adequate education in the risks, let 'em. Make it safe with clean needles and the drug cheap by having it be legal. There are heroin addicts in Europe that function perfectly well and hold down jobs. It's the making it illegal that causes most of the problems. Ditto on that with every other natural drug they've tried to ban.

Humans have experimented with consciousness-altering plants since the beginning of recorded history, they're not going to stop because of a building in D.C. and a bunch of goons with DEA on their jackets.

That 'blue lotus' the Egyptians worshiped? It was likely a hallucinogen. And think of what they accomplished.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Theses are the things that show you just how little personal freedoms we actually have. Where in this crazy world did we give government the authority to tell me what plants I can cultivate and use?
How is it even logical to force people to not do things that make them happy or feel better.
I wish my generation wasn't so easily abused.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The policing of consciousness and the sustainability of the medical industrial complex are to blame. Land of the free, my ass.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
Already posted here

Correct

closing this one

top topics

join