It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Candidate's Death Could Delay or Eliminate the Presidential Election

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Oh, you said when he started. Sorry, I misread.
edit on 31-8-2016 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

An arrest is not a conviction...

If Hilary were to be arrested (For what exactly?), the process of the justice system could potentially take years. By that time she could theoretically be president and unless she got jail time, no harm no foul.

Bill was impeached and retained his presidency. Even Nixon, who was impeached, did NOT have to resign his office.
edit on 31-8-2016 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
AAAAAA!

Another spin on the "Obama is not going to leave the Presidency" crapola.

Same song, 8,542,528th verse.

Must be a slow news day.

Hopefully you're right. It's a long way to January 20th of next year.
edit on 8jY by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: Riffrafter

Would not an arrest do the same thing.?

It was explained to me in another thread that if the
President -elect becomes incapacitated, the
VP-elect would assume the office-- and Congress
would appoint a new President of the Senate.
But, the wrinkle of losing one before any election
would , what? Mandate another primary??

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

Trump better get food tasters and plane mechanics he absolutely trusts, or we might get a third term of Obama.

Trump cooks his own meals and tunes the plane up himself.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

Bill was impeached and retained his presidency. Even Nixon, who was impeached, did NOT have to resign his office.

Nixon was not impeached. We've only had two (2) Presidents ever impeached, Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton.

As to the OP... In a National Election like the Presidency, not entirely sure. However I do know how it works in State and local elections if the elected person dies at a point the ballot cannot be changed, or dies before taking the office. The Party of the elected, simply appoints their replacement. No revote, no public opinion they just pick someone.

In a Presidential Election, i'd guess the electorial of the wining party would simply nominate someone, in a similar fashion ; Although again i'm not sure.
edit on 31-8-2016 by CrawlingChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

To my knowledge that's what they do every year. That's why I'm always confused on how our votes matter outside of when we vote for our local reps, senators, governors, etc.....

The prez. election for the gen. pop. seems like a smoke screen to me. Could this be because I know very little about how the whole system works? Probably.

-Alee

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CrawlingChaos

Mel Carnahan was killed just 3 weeks before the 2000 senator race in Missouri. Missouri state law would not allow Carnahan's name to be removed from the ballot; Carnahan was elected as a senator from Missouri, posthumously, his wife was appointed as his replacement and served as a US Senator from Missouri from 2000-2002, when she was narrowly defeated in a special election. This is the only example of a candidate for Federal office being elected, posthumously.

Mel Carnahan, a dead man, elected to US Senate from Missouri - Wiki page

So, state laws do, in fact, administer and enforce voting rights/laws concerning candidates for Federal office, and in this case, allow for a dead man to be on the ballot come election day. I wasn't able to make a lot of the linked information in the OP concerning 'dead candidates' for POTUS, but this case (re: Carnahan) is illustrative of the wonky rules that govern elections....good luck in making heads or tails of the rules governing dead candidates for POTUS

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: facedye

looks like you and i can't sleep for good reason.

Homeland Security Wants To Control POTUS Elections

blitzkrieg comes to mind.

Yes - definitely.

That one also scares the bejesus out of me.

It's like they've gone crazy and hope we won't notice...

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Would not an arrest do the same thing.?

I think you'd need a conviction.

If arrested or indicted Obama may pardon her before she's tried but if it happens before the election, there's no way in hell she could win.

Timing is everything with this one...

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

She could pardon herself is she was President as long as no impeachment was involved.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Raymundoko

If arrested or indicted Obama may pardon her before she's tried but if it happens before the election, there's no way in hell she could win.

See now here's the thing. What if Obama is sandbagging with Clintons pardon?
What if between Nov. and Jan 20, Obama has Clinton arrested after winning
the election? Clinton has won the election, but hasn't been sworn in. So with
out being sworn in as Pres. No one can be VP under Clinton.

Obama stays on as Potus?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Yikes. If the OP is to be believed then the US is doomed. Love or hate Clinton or Trump, government agencies must follow the will of the people. No if, ands or buts. Presidents must be voted in by the public, not hand selected by committees no matter what circumstance. (Or manipulated by electronic voting machines).

Though, I'd take a third term of Obama over these two clowns. But, it's pretty clear he doesn't want it as per his own statements on the topic. (And without ratifying the 22nd Amendment it would be illegal).

edit on 31-8-2016 by Jason88 because: Come on, YT work...

edit on 31-8-2016 by Jason88 because: more thought added

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Disclosure... I'm pulling this out of my arse...

But if Clinton wins the election, the VP has also won the election ; Is his swearing in and office not a different matter than the President's ?

I don't see why there would be no VP, under your situation. He could still be sworn in, infact her conviction in this situation would pave the way for VP to become President.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

If she is being tried for a crime, and is the President ; It's an impeachment hearing.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

So basically, the electoral college could just go ahead and pick the president with their votes without us even getting a voice? And legally? What?

Yup.

Amazing huh?

One good thing to come out of this absurd election is the fact that it's exposing all kinds of things we should all be keenly aware of related to our laws, our constitution, our "institutions" and of course our leaders - political and otherwise.

I can't wait to see how this farce finally plays out...

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Only if the accusation was made while she was president. This accusation and trial would presumably be started prior to her becoming president. As soon as she became president she could exercise a pardon on herself without it even going to trial: Preemptive Pardon
edit on 2-9-2016 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   

a reply to: Raymundoko

See now here's the thing. What if Obama is sandbagging with Clintons pardon?
What if between Nov. and Jan 20, Obama has Clinton arrested after winning
the election? Clinton has won the election, but hasn't been sworn in. So with
out being sworn in as Pres. No one can be VP under Clinton.

Obama stays on as Potus?

Their is no scenario that allows Obama to stay in office. And clearly he is not interested.

If a President elect dies before inauguration what happens depends on when they die. If they die during the month between the election and when the electors vote, the electors can vote for anyone, as happened in 1872 when Greenly died and although he did not win the election is electors still had to vote. They can vote for anybody qualified, Obama is not as he has served two terms. They voted all over the place with 4 different people getting votes. Today it is very likely the would simply vote for the VP. If the President elect dies after the electors vote the VP gets the job.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Do you honestly believe there is no scenario where a president could retain office?

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

I can trust that coming from you Spad

top topics

<< 1   >>

join