It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you really imagine living for eternity?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Eternity. 40+ years is enough.

Can you imagine if they ever did create a way for people to live for all eternity? Forever? Or even hundreds of years?

Every single regret, mistake, relationship lost... when even the ones we carry now are burdens on us.

Imagine not being able to walk anywhere on the planet and not having some trigger elicit a memory of some moment that you would rather forget. No matter where you go, memories remain, reminding you of things long ago. Unable to move for fear of the pain of what was.

We'd surely become trapped in our concrete domiciles, connected to some virtual reality device that gave us the illusion of a free life. We would surely become devices as portrayed in The Matrix.

I can't walk anywhere in my own city without memories cursing me. and that is in just a mere 44 years. Words, phrases, ideas, can drag me back to times when I was happy, and then remind me how I lost that happiness.

Imagine living forever...

We always consider it a thing of wonder, or most of us do. To see things changes and be witness to events we can never know. But the consequences of it. Not just losing one love, but all of the little intricate things that entail it. The details in the devil. To have to relive not but one, but a thousand stages of life that caused us agony.

It would be torture, surely...

To lose everything, all things, no matter where you traverse...

:/

I miss her. I know I screwed up, and I know she is still there, but I am waiting for those words. forever together, no matter what, seems to mean nothing when it's so all easily given up.

An eternity of this would render us all monsters. without emotion or care. Imagine living for eternity....

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

I can not imagine living for an eternity despite fearing death. I think it would be nice to be able to do so, but like you I have messed up. Everyone has though. As to lacking emotions well for me that would not be anything new. Emotions are felt primarily through extremes or not felt at all.

I see your point and would likely live in that agony more than in any joy, but you are forgetting the joy in life.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I can't imagine not living for eternity. I see eternity as a beautiful freedom. A gift that frees the soul from fear.
edit on 30-8-2016 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I will live forever, tech will be there when i am old,, i am 28 now, so maybe in forty-fifty years its possible.. i want so see stars being born and then fade away...

No more death, life eternal, all hail Tsathoggua!

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

The different incarnations break the monotony.. There is no getting out?

Picture Your'self' being present but You don't have a body. If You've tried this does this 'improve' Your thoughts? Does this make that thought easier to digest? Where did those thoughts come from? Who brought those forth?

Stay Hydrated...

namaste

"You are NOT Your body" ... Jesus The Chris†.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I would love to live forever. Medical sciences would fix our health problems, injuries. Humankind would eventually terraform other planets to fit us all, imagine the things you'd get to see.

Memories don't need to be all bad - we're supposed to learn from our mistakes. We're not supposed to dwell on the bad stuff. Learn and move on.

If someplace has too many bad memories to get over, just move.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
This would certainly be an issue, but only for people with emotion.

I, fortunately, am a cold-hearted bastard with an impeccable amount of apathy
edit on 30/8/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I would not want to live a fleshly life for eternity. The loneliness would be crushing. It already is, and I have not yet lived out my lot of mortal years. I would only consider it if I had a soulmate who was also afflicted with immortality.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I'll be your soulmate, Brit

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Can you really imagine living for eternity?

No, just living right now. Forever is too far reaching, you'll fall off the edge if you worry about tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Right...ok then.

I will bring the beers, if you bring the bacon.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Only the finest Canadian Bacon for my Brit

That's nuzzling... just to clarify...
edit on 30/8/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Well there is no monotony, not a constant monotony. My thoughts are fine and generally am in good humor; lacking emotion does not mean anything negative, just simply a sort of status quo.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Yes, I actually do. You always find yourself something to do. Is is not so boring as it looks.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Certainly...but I dont have to imagine it...because we do.

We came from somewhere unknown and spend eternity heading far and away from it...forever. Over and over ad infinitum...the conscious mind lives in the here and now.

But the unconscious mind is eternal......

PS I also dont believe we die and get to the other side and say "WOW! THAT really hurt!"
edit on 30-8-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I know what that is!

My friends cat does it to me all the time!

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Not in this body, but I believe we are all eternal, in spiritual energy does not disappear, it simply relocates and manifest in other dimensions. I would not want this body for eternity.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: searcherfortruth

Not in this body, but I believe we are all eternal, in spiritual energy does not disappear, it simply relocates and manifest in other dimensions. I would not want this body for eternity.

Reads like Your search is over...

Time for a new name (of course this defines the Zen principle of "Impermanence"...

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I would welcome biological immortality. Could always just kill yourself if you get sick of it.

I'd serenade the Earth on my guitar as it was swallowed by the sun in a few billion years.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Certainly...but I dont have to imagine it...because we do.

We came from somewhere unknown and spend eternity heading far and away from it...forever. Over and over ad infinitum...the conscious mind lives in the here and now.

But the unconscious mind is eternal......

PS I also dont believe we die and get to the other side and say "WOW! THAT really hurt!"

This is true; we reincarnate unlimited times and in between the life of the spirit is unlimited also. (This from an atheist but I've experienced enough to know that we are not bodies but spirit having a physical interlude).

I know from prior experience times two that the reaction to dying is 'THAT was what I was worried about?' and 'Wheeee! This is FUN!'

The Anne Rice books spend a lot of time considering the conundrum of immortality but she starts with vampires who don't have a good quality of life, to say the least. Only fire will kill them, and that's not a great way to go... and they got tired of being predators.

There was a little known movie that came out a few years ago by Star Trek writer Jerome Bixby, 'The Man From Earth' that handled the idea of immortality wonderfully well. I won't spoil the movie for you by telling you more, but I highly recommend everyone search it out. I heard they may be making a sequel. It's available for free online if you search.

The Man From Earth IMDB

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join