It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH - The Big Idea I Forgot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Ah, yes, as you all know, we are reading many books to our kiddo this summer. This is another one we are working our way through. At 30 minutes a night, you'd be surprised how much territory you cover!

I've had this one since I was in school, and since it's on the school's recommended reading list, I thought we'd give it a shot to see if he liked it. It was a slow start for him, but once things got going, he got more invested in it.

However, when we got to the part where Nicodemus outlines The Plan, it occurs to me that this book should be on more school reading lists. I had forgotten the essential lesson the rats learned: their existence at the farmer's is all about stealing. They steal their food, their water, their electricity. And Nicodemus mentions that this makes them soft and dependent basically. So The Plan is to give it all up, move to a remote valley and grow their own food and really form their own society.

Be their own independent creatures.

That little lesson is wrapped around them helping out Mrs. Frisby and her sick son to avoid the spring plow, of course.

But as a parent, if you are looking for a book to reinforce the idea of doing on your own as opposed to taking from others, this is a good one.
edit on 21-8-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I loved that movie as a kid! Thanks for the suggestion.. definitely sounds like one to revisit, this time in written form.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Very true. I can always support the message within this book. S&F

I am glad you get to share it with the young ones as well. More of this needs to happen.
edit on 8/21/2016 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The other part I like about the story is how important the reading skill is for the rats. A special point is made that all the advances made by the rats begins as soon as they are able to understand the written texts they come across. From being able to understand their cage latches, to finding the exits, to locating a safe place to live through winter, as well as plan out the next location to move to... none of it would have been possible without the ability to read.

We have been making it a point to impress that on our son: No matter what he wants to do with his life, he will need to be able to read.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
A lesson more children should be instilled with. The sense of satisfaction, the aroma of victory with each completed project, and the pride in doing for yourself.

Sadly, to many parents are not taking the time to do as you are doing. My mother went to college to become an elementary school teacher..after my older sister was born that career was put on hold, a year and a half later I came along.

My sister and I were both reading at college level when we were in 3Rd grade. THis gave us the opportunity to read more intensive literature AND COMPREHEND it at a much younger age then our peers. Especially when we switched from private school to the public education system.

Kudos to you for helping give your progeny a head start academically and morally!

~meathead

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I hope that reading this book helps some children (and adults) accept rats as creatures that share this planet with us, and not as insidious monsters that only want to invade our homes, gnaw on our babies, spread disease, and be sacrificed and tortured in labs for research. I realize this is a fantasy book, but if it makes rats more palatable to those who have been fortunate enough to have this great title on their reading list, then I'm all for it being "required".

Another good book, in my opinion, is The Plague Dogs by Richard Adams, author of the well known "Watership Down". I love books that feature animals as the primary characters, and I am extremely proud of my Dad who has published a great novel about a hawk with vision problems that I highly recommend for kids of all ages: Red Tail Rescue.

top topics

join