It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Network Help???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Okay, I'm about to pull my hair out of my head. How I got stuck doing this, don't ask. Anyways, I have Dell Desktop with windows xp, with dsl cable, and linksys 4 port router. I already have one other desktop connected to the internet thru this router and pc and I am trying to hook up a new Dell Latitude D600 for internet connection.

I have already set up the network connections using the network wizard but I still can't get online, I am getting this error for the LAC "Network cable unplugged" But its not unplugged. I have wiggled and jiggled and changed ports but still the same message. what is going on?

I also tried loading the broadcom driver again with the xp disc and still the same issue? any suggestions?? please......

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I don't have DSL so I'm guessing here but have you run any tests on the network card itself ?
If the cable is connected OK but the system still says it's disconnected, it could point to a network card problem.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
network card??? ummm what's that

this is a brand new dell notebook, just out of the box and obviously my desktop is fine, because the other pc is hooked up to the internet and working fine right now.

so how do i check this network card?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
help?? anyone??? i'm getting frustrated at this point. don't have a clue as to what else to do.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
My friend is having that same problem right now. His bro in the other room can get onto the internet, but he can't.

Though his computer is able to detect whether the cable is plugged in or not, he can't access the internet nomatter what he tries. He thinks it's a parasite.

But basically the same problem, your's is just worse. Maybe it is a different type of cord (one where the pins are reversed at the other end), so maybe that is your problem. Check the cord to figure out whether the tiny colored wires in the plastic connecters are in the same configuration (hold them side to side). If they're not, you need to get a cord that is.

But maybe it's an old cable, and one of the wires broke internally. If nothing else works, you should buy a new cable and try that.

[edit on 1/20/2005 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
network card??? ummm what's that

I'm not conversant with the Dell Latitude kit that you are trying to connect and my suggestion was purely guesswork based on what I used a few years ago. To answer your later question, a network card is needed when connecting to the internet through a broadband connection.

All I can suggest is that you give these sites a go. The first one is the official Dell support site (just use the search facility as normal). The second is Tech Forums which I have used in the past.

Dell Support - Latitude D600

www.tech-forums.net...

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
On the front of your Linksys Router...are the lights for each RJ45 port lit up? So if the new comp is plugged into Port 2, is the light for Port 2 lit up?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
thanks you guys, but I'm giving this # a rest till tomorrow. I've wasted enough of my day on it and I need a fresh mind to look at it.

dream, the lights are lit up, the router seems fine.

I'm going to try to borrow another cable tomorrow and see if it is a cable issue.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Start > Run > inetwiz >Ok

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 01:11 AM
link   
that should do it considing you have set up the rest of it propley im not a expert on ms networks i run *nix and macos X mainly

top topics

join