It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A challenge for the brave

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb
a reply to: Indigo5

No..But those things that can be proven with the scientific method should be accepted.

Okay why? Things found by the scientific method are based on unjustified assumptions. If you can offer a justification for those assumptions that is logically valid and sound I will gladly agree. ...

You don't understand the scientific methods. It's exact nature is to question and test assumptions.
The Catholic Church assumed the sun circled around the earth as well as all the stars.

Giordano Bruno examined that assumption and concluded that instead the earth orbited the sun and hypothesized that the stars were actually other "suns" far away.

For that he was burned alive at the stake by the Catholic Church in 1600.

Or we could move on to you actually putting your own world view forth. i get that you reject mine....

I believe that there are things we are near certain about, things we are certain about and there are things we do not know. Science affords for all three. Science celebrates unanswered questions while orthodox religion most often answers those unanswered questions with unsubstantiated falsehoods in order to sell magical knowledge and for centuries persecuted and murdered anyone that questioned those falsehoods.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rex282
...[smooth talk]...there are no facts to be known...[more smooth talk]

Use discernment: Discernment is “acuteness of judgment.” It is “the power or faculty of the mind by which it distinguishes one thing from another.” A person with discernment perceives subtleties of ideas or things and has good judgment.

Using discernment, we will be able to recognize those who are merely using “smooth talk and complimentary speech” in order to “seduce the hearts of guileless ones.” (Romans 16:18) Discernment enables you to discard irrelevant information or misleading facts and distinguish the substance of a matter. But how can you discern when something is misleading?

Oh, I dunno, when someone is denying a person's ability to learn or even be aware of facts for example? That was from the article in my sig btw. Long live the agnostic philosophy of vagueness that's used in support of evolutionary philosophies, atheism, philosophies involving what is referred to as "theistic evolution", philosophical naturalism, deism, pantheism, Mother Nature worship, New Age mythology and philosophy, and particular theology based on Pagan philosophy, etc. And of course agnosticism itself. And in general used to keep people in darkness and ignorant of the facts that matter the most to be aware of (to know). Cause once you convince people that you can't really know them anyway, why bother trying to learn them, be apathic, stay asleep, stay ignorant. And think you're awake, enlightened and openminded while the door to any honest enquiry regarding the facts has already been closed for ye.

What is Truth?

Oh btw, the word "absolute" is a synonym for the word "true" (as well as "factual/certain/conclusive/correct, without error"). The word "relative" is not. Just like "certainty" is a synonym for "fact". The word "probability" is not. Some people very active on ATS like to get facts confused with probabilities or opinions (or some mixture of that or just changing the topic to those words). Usually when someone brings up facts that are very inconvenient to acknowledge in relation to their own opinions, beliefs and philosophies/ideas about reality.

"Realities" is a synonym for "facts". So even though Rex just about managed to avoid denying the existence of realities (denying reality) outright, he's still basically saying:

'there are no realities to be known'

Which is a convenient philosophy or way of thinking when one is confronted with a reality/fact that makes one feel uncomfortable, preferring to hold on to ignorance (not knowing, being agnostic about this particular subject as in thinking that you can't ever figure it out either, not even trying because it really was obvious from the start of your thinking and you didn't want to deal with that fact/reality anyway). Which reminds me of Cypher's "ignorance is bliss" phrase in the movie The Matrix.

'Plato-indoctrainees to the left of me,
Pilatus-indoctrainees to the right of me,
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with philosophy and the depth of human imagination,
Boldly I rode and well,
Into the jaws of Pagan Mythology,
Into the mouth of La La Land
I rode.'

Notice the attitude of the Pagan philosopher who lived 3200 years ago and quoted at 4:40 in the video below:

edit on 23-8-2016 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
so...

...was the challenge answered successfully?

<< 5  6  7   >>

join