It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Senator: Susan Collins "'I will not be voting for Donald Trump"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   
And the trend continues with Senator Susan Collins Republican of Maine in office since 1997 coming out against Trump GOPSenator: "'I will not be voting for Donald Trump"

I will not be voting for Donald Trump for president," she wrote in a Washington Post op-ed published Monday night. "This is not a decision I make lightly, for I am a lifelong Republican. But Donald Trump does not reflect historical Republican values nor the inclusive approach to governing that is critical to healing the divisions in our country."

Her reason?

"I am also deeply concerned that Mr. Trump's lack of self-restraint and his barrage of ill-informed comments would make an already perilous world even more so,"

Now with 50 GOP security experts coming out against Trump this seems minor in comparison.

However. again I must ask where were these people when Trump was polling at least in the game? Where were their morals then? At least Cruz had the mustard to this when Trump was at his height. Now the mass desertions seem more like rats fleeing a sinking ship then they do people standing up and being brave.

Well she was not the first and she will be far from the last of Republicans not wanting to be painted with Trump brush.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

"I am also deeply concerned that Mr. Trump's lack of self-restraint and his barrage of ill-informed comments would make an already perilous world even more so,"

Hey Lady , ever hear of Lyndon Baines Johnson ? Does Vietnam Ring a Bell ? DUH ?

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Ah yes.. Susan Collins. Another "old guard" Republican. Probably a Jeb Bush lover, and spineless when it came to dealing with President Obama. She can vote Clinton, if that makes her sleep better at night.

At any rate, Susan is just one of millions of voters. A lot of people will NOT be voting for Trump. A lot of people WILL be voting for Trump. Does Susan Collin's "feelings" really make a difference to her constituents, you think?

How many of you U.S. ATS voters are influenced by how your local Senator or Congress person votes?

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Ah yes.. Susan Collins. Another "old guard" Republican. Probably a Jeb Bush lover, and spineless when it came to dealing with President Obama. She can vote Clinton, if that makes her sleep better at night.

At any rate, Susan is just one of millions of voters. A lot of people will NOT be voting for Trump. A lot of people WILL be voting for Trump. Does Susan Collin's "feelings" really make a difference to her constituents, you think?

How many of you U.S. ATS voters are influenced by how your local Senator or Congress person votes?

It is more the opposite. She does not want to be tainted by Trump and voted out of office. How her constituents are voting is effecting her vote. People seem confused. These defections are not to hurt Trump, they are people saving their own butts not wanting to get taken down with Trump.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   

It's like because she's from a select group of one hundred she must have better "judgement" than us peasants. So since this is from a Senator we're all supposed to sit up and take notice and not vote Trump? This will push more his way than it will deter others which, at worst, equals zero effect.

edit on 9-8-2016 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Oh well, Just another Republican Warhawk out of touch with the grassroots of the GOP. Maybe they should just start their own Pro-War Pro-Terrorism party, run their own warmonger candidate. Or join the Democratic Party, since they seem to have more in common with the Democratic Leadership than the GOP rank-and-file members.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   

No problem. I'm a Democrat switching sides to vote for Trump, so screw her, I'll replace her vote.
edit on 9-8-2016 by thepixelpusher because: typos

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Clinton is a disgrace and the entire DNC should be ashamed to have her represent them.
Trump is a egotistical pig, but he is the only candidate with balls to stand up and say the truth. He is the only one who talks about the real issues and points the finger at those to blame.

Screw it, Trump all the way 100%. Its lose lose with Clinton, we'll be in a war with Russia in no time. At-least Trump has the possibility of actually being a leader and actually putting America first and giving the finger to all the old school elite farktards who drove the US into the ground with various wars, banking policies and corruption.

Every person who comes and declares ''I will not vote for trump'' should pack their bags because Trumps keeping a list of names and they will be out the door the day he is elected!

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad

It is more the opposite. She does not want to be tainted by Trump and voted out of office. How her constituents are voting is effecting her vote. People seem confused. These defections are not to hurt Trump, they are people saving their own butts not wanting to get taken down with Trump.

In Susan Collins's state of MAINE, Ted Cruz got 45% of the Republican vote, and Donald Trump got 32%. Doesn't sound like he was too radioactive back on March 5th in that state. And that's when he was truly insulting...to the point of being an embarrassment to yours truly.

So Susan Collins thinks that Donald Trump is totally radioactive now? That he's so despised by Maine Republicans that she needs to be a traitor, and vote for Hillary Clinton?!?!

Susan Collins must be very unpopular in her own right, and can't afford to take any chances. That's part of the problem with all the "establishment" Republicans. They avoid controversy and risks at all costs...regardless of the potential rewards. The "new" Republicans (i.e. Trump Republicans) want all of them replaced!

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   
another tool of big business - ignore the voters at your own risk

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   

To be fair someone like Susan may have been waiting to see if Trump was going to a make a serious go of his presidential candidacy or not. The GOP Convention made it crystal clear Trump has no interest in being president in the slightest. Cruz has been motivated by self interest alone with running in 2020 or 24 in mind. Just my 10 cents.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
With both sides distancing themselves from Trump, I'm starting to think Trump is really going to put the hurt locker down when it comes to special interests. Corporations are pressuring politicians to distance themselves from Donald because they already paid for a Hillary presidency. That sounds most logical to me. I've been watching politics since I was little and Donald doesn't say anything worse than politicians in the past. Looks like Donald's immigration plan will hurt all their pockets.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
The "trend" that conservatives aren't mindless robots who only blindly support whatever candidate is put up. It's not a trend, conservatives are known for this. Unlike the other party, who supports a candidate no matter who corrupt they are nor how many lies they are caught in.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
That's not exactly a surprise, is it? Susan Collins is one of the biggest RINOs in either house of Congress and consistently one of the first to bail on the party and support the Democrat position if given the slightest opportunity. She may not be openly endorsing Hillary, but this has much the same effect.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
However. again I must ask where were these people when Trump was polling at least in the game? Where were their morals then? At least Cruz had the mustard to this when Trump was at his height. Now the mass desertions seem more like rats fleeing a sinking ship then they do people standing up and being brave.

I agree. I also think the same thing about the media. They should've "disowned" him when he announced his run for the presidency by attacking Mexican immigrants. Or when he said he'd "bring back waterboarding and a whole lot more".

Instead, they aggressively promoted every detail of his campaign for a year, one "outrage" after another. Talk shows brought him on and comedy shows did playful parodies of him, everyone laughed it off. Joe Scarborough may be one of the biggest examples of this, since he staunchly supported and promoted Trump on his show up until a month or so ago. Now he acts just as "outraged" as everyone else.

So yeah, it definitely looks more like rats fleeing a sinking ship than concerned citizens.
edit on 9-8-2016 by enlightenedservant because: added quotes to the last sentence os 1st paragraph. thanks obama

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Make sure to vote her out of office,used to be could trust senators,not so much anymore,well kind of trust them

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Republican in name only. Not voting for Trump is a vote for Hillary and a vote to turn the SCOTUS over to liberals which will mean a liberal USA. No guns, lots of aborted babies, high taxes, bigger government.

No thanks. I'll take my chance with the business man. I do not know if Trump will ruin America but I KNOW Hillary will.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

You make a good point but Trump keeps doing stupid stuff and people finally get enough of his obnoxious personality.

I respected Trump myself until he mocked that disabled guy. Then I knew he was a rotten dirty bastard.

OR...

I still say Trump is losing the race deliberately.

In that case he’s not such a bad guy but maybe a good guy in secret

To destroy the republican party Trump would near be a saint

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: vor78
That's not exactly a surprise, is it? Susan Collins is one of the biggest RINOs in either house of Congress and consistently one of the first to bail on the party and support the Democrat position if given the slightest opportunity. She may not be openly endorsing Hillary, but this has much the same effect.

RINO?

Trump is a RINO

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: thepixelpusher

that's pretty brave at LEAST I changed to unaffiliated when I got ragged at Bush ,YOU are ambushing them...meany.
I still can't figure out WHY so many think THIS IS BAD.
TAKE NOTE of the names and NEVER vote for them again.
A traitor is NEVER a welcome ally,like a cheating husband ,THEY'LL never stop.
edit on 9-8-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join