It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Clarity During Near-Death Experiences Suggests Mind Exists Apart From Brain

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Please recall that you have MORE neural matter in your thorax then you have in your skull.
When have they researched this potential 'intellectual' interconnection?
As of now, IDK.
If a residual store of memory is finally able to pierce the 'clot' of disease in the skull, a 'normal' process my result in increased cognition without resorting to a 'strange' source, remote or otherwise.
I'll watch the vid but I prefer things to be written. I can read much faster than I watch.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Aren't the mind and spirit two names for the same thing ? , our mind is the manifestation of our spirit.

Great question.

Due to thousand of years of mis-quotes and mis translations.... (not necessarily intent or deceit in place) a good example is the word unicorn in the bible....... yep in the bible it speaks of unicorns which are rhinoceros (single and double horn)

another twister...... you often here of the body, mind, soul and the spirit and it can be easily misunderstood......

The body is simple.....what we see in the mirror everyday.......

The mind...our brain...the one single organ that controls the body while helping us make our decisions. Here at this level is where danger can easily arise.....through deceit and lies .......making us choose the wrong way or the making wrong decisions....

Your soul is your spirit. It is often confusing due to translations throughout time. This is the part of man that lives on for eternity.....Only the creator can kill one's soul and no one else......not even evil. We have problems communicating with our spirit due to what we consume ... various foods, alcohol, sometimes mental problems, etc..... reason for fasting...to cleanse and remove the poisons inside our body so the body, mind and spirit can communicate with one another. Only your spirit can make communication between the spirit world and this one and if you have not fine tuned your body, mind with your spirit then you will not hear or see the creator (God). Meditation simply opens doors (no matter what your intention is) to all spiritual worlds.

Life is a series of exams...... you making choices, decisions and then following them. Full authorization to use your free will anyway you want.

This life is a pass or fail exam.

edit on 7-8-2016 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Yes bro to many have seen this in very ill folks right at or before death. Some folks will bad mouth anything. I think the idea scares them.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Thanks for posting this

It's one of those subjects I find intriguing with, in my opinion, the full explanations somewhere around the corner in the future. We're not quite there yet no matter how much certainty is given by people on all sides of the debate.

I'm not too keen on the premise that our brains act as 'receivers' (or 'hardware') while our consciousnesses exist elsewhere. It seems too simplistic and circular to be wholly true.

On the other hand, some studies into NDEs provide examples of people experiencing a 'clarity' they shouldn't be capable of. People rendered unconscious in accidents should not be reporting visual commentaries from the ER etc. There's no point me blathering about it when we all have a rough idea of the accounts anyway. Pim van Lommel is a good start for those who are new to this.

What I see happening in discussions is similar to the political landscape with sides being taken and no quarter being given. Those with spiritual or religious beliefs often have an inherent distrust of science and baulk at any explanations. Similarly, those who favour science to have all the answers, a priori, don't take the reports seriously. It seems like neither side has all the answers and won't concede the possibility that the explanation for NDEs awaits us in the future.

I've said it before that it was a certainty no water was on the Moon. This was a fact until only a few years ago. Now we take it for granted that there is water on the Moon.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I am reading right now a great book on studies done on this same subject, to make the studies as accurate as possible the subjects were chosen from two different societies, one group was from the US and the other one from India.

The most striking thing about the results is that both groups seems to have the same type of experiences right before dying, the clear mind waking up to the fact that is time to go.

I love reading about this experiences, it does prove that is something else beyond death and the dying of the physical body.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I think it's a subject that we will probably only find the real answer through experience mate , either we do walk down the tunnel or we don't.
I've seen and read many testimonies from health workers over the years that would suggest there is more than just a chemical process occurring at the end of life to induce the effects reported , perhaps we do have a higher self that transcends death , a caterpillar to butterfly scenario perhaps.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I wouldn't rule it out

You're right though....one way or another we'll all find out one day.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
From what I understand about death is that when the body nears 'the end' it fires off all sorts of signals from the vital organs to the brain and vice versa, in a desperate attempt to salvage survival and keep the main hub alive, the hub being the brain.
The last thing to die off would most likely be the brain and the heart, hence why shutting down of all other organs happens shortly before death.
The final thoughts of people would simply be just that, the final thoughts of a dying person, someone who has blood concentrated to the main hub, all sorts of feel good hormones will flow, and clarity that the individual person sees as perfect will ensue.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: largo

Anyone who has taken "the spirit molecule" knows the answer to this question.

soulwaxer
edit on 7-8-2016 by soulwaxer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: soulwaxer

Well... I do believe that naturally occurring psychotropic chemicals that are made right in the brain. (At heightened levels during the process of death) have a lot to do with the various stories that people experience during NDE.

These scientists that delve deep into this field never tell you about the countless stories that don't fit what they are trying to prove. A lot of people hallucinate when they are dying. I have seen it more times than i care to recount. You won't hear stories of people reverting back to a point in their childhood though, because that doesn't fit the story they are trying to tell.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Oh man this makes so little sense, it's just funny to hear the "logic" of this guy lol.

'___', it's produced when we have NDE's, and the experience can be artificially induced by ingesting '___', or a variety of other psychedelics.

The science is there. We know memories can reside within a single neuron, and we also know the brain can distribute memories across diverse networks, built for redundancy. Now you throw in something hardcore into the experience, whether that be ingested, or hell just an extreme experience, and the mind is altered and starts processing totally differently. You can upregulate a lot of neurotropic factors during a session, peak experience, near death experience, whatever you want to call it.

What would otherwise appear as extreme atrophy, hell it could seem like quite a bit of regeneration if they were to look up the tissue shortly after such extreme situations come about. I guess we just haven't done this all too much, but certainly studies do back the notion up. We have a general understand of the process.
edit on 7-8-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

I wouldn't rule it out

You're right though....one way or another we'll all find out one day.

We come into the world through a tunnel. It's no big surprise you recall that.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   

edit on 8-8-2016 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
So the mind is a bit like I Cloud.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Interesting,
I think they are separated at some point, during my NDE some years ago, i was informed by my wife that i had stopped breathing. At the time i was acutely aware i was no longer in my body, but my thoughts were crystal clear.
I felt no cold or pain or hunger, also no emotions (which was a shock of sorts).
What i also discovered is that the mind, once separated, can travel incredible distances in no time at all, and even travel to see past/future events. At least that is my experience.
I have read that the tunnel & the wierd sounds are effects of oxygen deprivation to the brain, and i did get these, but simply ignored them, i did NOT go into the tunnel since i considered that a one way trip, i kind of sensed that if i went through the tunnel to the light at the end i would be truly dead with no way of getting back.
Hey it worked for me.........

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I have video evidence that life exists after death.

youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: 1eyedclyde

I have video evidence that life exists after death.

youtu.be...

I hate stupid unfunny # like that.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Think of it though... If true, and the brain is more of an "interface" to the body, and the mind being a separate energy that both feeds and receives from it.... it provides a definition and purpose for a "soul", where before it did not make much sense that a spiritual entity just seemed to be just hanging around.

So from there the postulation that a soul can contain a mind, but does not pass most of that information on when it pairs with another life form, at least as memories of the last person, but perhaps as gained experience. Conjecture, but imaginable in the scenario.

I find the subject fascinating, because we know there is a spiritual aspect of our bodies and lives, but we have really never, ever been able to pin a finger on what that may be. I think is is special when science can collaborate on a subject that it has so much historical history as "untouchable" by science.

I guess , that if this symbiotic relationship with the mind and brain turns out to be absolutely proven..., Then we would be well on the way to bring spirituality and science in a room where they can at least talk to each other.

Cool thread OP, and without question, food for thought.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
The evidence has been out there for a long time.. it's a question of being perceptive enough.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Ok - I realize this discussion pertains to lucidity and mind/brain issues. However, I had an experience with my dying mother that, to me, is rather odd knowing the physical impossibility of it.

My Mom was in a coma the last 2 weeks of her life. We had hospice come in so Mom could pass away peacefully in her own home. Mom was deaf the last 10 years of her life. The last few days, whenever my father spoke --- my Mom turned her head towards his direction - as if she could hear him. It made me wonder what actually happens once a soul makes the transition to the other side.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join