It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Clarity During Near-Death Experiences Suggests Mind Exists Apart From Brain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
The link between the mental clarity of Alzheimer’s patients shortly before death and NDE's being suggestive of a separation between Mind and Brain has been proposed by Prof. Alexander Batthyany and his team at Vienna University’s Cognitive Science Program , the research while not proof of anything suggests an interesting link between the two phenomena.

If the mind is just a function of the brain, it stands to reason that the worse the brain is injured, the worse the mind would function. Yet Dr. Alexander Batthyany, a professor in the cognitive science department at the University of Vienna, has found in multiple studies that the mind may function well—or even better than usual—when the brain is impaired. This suggests the mind may function independently of the brain.

He has studied terminal lucidity in Alzheimer’s patients. This is a phenomenon in which patients who have been completely incoherent for many years seem to suddenly return to their senses shortly before death.
When the brain is at the furthest stage of degeneration, the expectation would be that the ability to make coherent connections between memories and various thoughts and emotions would be so far gone that a “whole” person could no longer emerge. Yet at this time, the whole mind seems to flash through, with all its connections intact.
www.theepochtimes.com...

The 41 minute video below gives more insight into the research of Prof. Alexander Batthyány and results of his research into Terminal Lucidity.

I've always found this kind of research fascinating and while the results are by no means conclusive of anything I appreciate the work of scientists in this field of research , we understand so little about the mind and brain only research into all aspects of consciousness will help unlock the truth behind the nature of our existence.

Prof. Alexander Batthyány, PhD, holds the Viktor Frankl Chair for Philosophy and Psychology at the International Academy of Philosophy in the Principality of Liechtenstein. He teaches theory of Cognitive Science at Vienna University’s Cognitive Science Program and Logotherapy and Existential Analysis at the Department of Psychiatry at Vienna Medical School. Since 2012, Batthyany is Visiting Professor for Existential Psychotherapy at the Moscow University Institute of Psychoanalysis.
He is director of the Viktor Frankl Institute and the Viktor Frankl Archives in Vienna and first editor of the 14-volume Edition of the Collected Works of Viktor Frankl. Batthyany has published several books and articles and lectures widely on philosophical and existential psychology, philosophy of mind, and theory of cognitive science.
www.liechtenstein-academy.com...

edit on 7-8-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Alexander Batthyany, a professor in the cognitive science department at the University of Vienna,

A circus director is the source, geez louize..

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Given your opinion of the scientists who work at CERN that's exactly the response I'd expect from you.
Thanks for living up to my expectations.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

No problem, i usually just go out with my dog.. When he sniffs something or tries to eat it, i say;" No! " When i said ;" No! " enough times, i let him decide for himself.. When he still chooses to eat it, id say he built himself a consciousness and made a choice..

Check this out, a clip from Sigmund and Freud

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Well to the matter at hand, when i watch a movie.. I know its a story.. When you see a movie, do you know its a story?

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This is fascinating and something I have personally witnessed first hand with my grandfather before he passed. He did not have alzheimers he had dementia. It had similar symptoms. A day or so before he passed it seemed as if he "woke up" . The man had been nearly mute for a year and leading up to that talked very little. He was himself for the most part and talked briefly about memories of his family. We knew at that point it wouldn't be long.

This phenomena is something that I have heard about. Later when my daughter is asleep I will have a chance to watch the video.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Source: the epoch times?

Come on gortex. Did you read the study? Nothing about it suggests that the mind is separate from the brain. It only suggests that brain function and capacity returns slightly on less than 50% of the cases that he arbitrarily included in his study. It clearly states that he picked and chose which cases to include. A great deal of the cases came from unverified internet sources.
edit on 7-8-2016 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

has found in multiple studies that the mind may function well—or even better than usual when the brain is impaired. This suggests the mind may function independently of the brain.

If the brain is damaged by Alzheimer's and the patient has been unresponsive to visual stimulation then shortly before death regains memory and capability it could suggest separation

As I said in the OP I'm not saying it's proof nor am I saying conclusions can be drawn but I find this type of research fascinating , I posted it for others who feel the same way.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

In my readings of a certain batch of information it my understanding that the mind and brain are two separate things that interact on a particular level we do not perceive completely just yet. If one could imagine the brain as an organ belonging to the individual self and the mind belonging to the higher self. Its all quite fascinating.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
How does the brain slightly improving just before death, suggest a seperation? The brain and the mind are never seen seperate in these events. Plus. The epoch times

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

The epoch times aren't conducting the research they are reporting on it.

Epoch Times is a multi-language, international broadsheet newspaper that publishes in print and online,headquartered in New York City.

The newspaper and its staff have won over 10 media awards, including New York Press Association Awards for design excellence and National Ethnic Press & Media Council Awards for human rights coverage.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

From the video:

Most of the data points came from cases that were written before the 1900's

The word "soul" is used in this video at least 15 times before the first 20 minutes.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

The epoch times aren't conducting the research they are reporting on it.

Epoch Times is a multi-language, international broadsheet newspaper that publishes in print and online,headquartered in New York City.

The newspaper and its staff have won over 10 media awards, including New York Press Association Awards for design excellence and National Ethnic Press & Media Council Awards for human rights coverage.
en.wikipedia.org...

No # they are not conducting the research. They aren't reporting on it either. At least not honestly. No where in the video or in His work has he suggested that he has found evidence that would suggest that the mind and the brain are separate. The article in the epoch times mentions and admits as much right before they suggest that his work suggests such claims.

Dr. Betthyany never makes the claim in your thread title.

The epoch times does.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Just recently, a man from France, aged 44, was discovered to only have 10% of the normal volume of brain tissue. His skull is basically hollow, except for the outer edges. He leads a perfectly normal life..

You've got to see this!! (pics of his brain scans in article)

A man who lives without 90% of his brain is challenging our concept of 'consciousness'

soulwaxer

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: soulwaxer
Just recently, a man from France, aged 44, was discovered to only have 10% of the normal volume of brain tissue. His skull is basically hollow, except for the outer edges. He leads a perfectly normal life..

You've got to see this!! (pics of his brain scans in article)

A man who lives without 90% of his brain is challenging our concept of 'consciousness'

soulwaxer
This patient still has all of the parts of the brain needed to function. His I.Q. Was estimated to be in the 70's.

But he still has a functioning brain. Therefor, not evidence of the separation of mind and brain. Nor does this case challenge any of our concepts of consciousness. In fact it firms up our concept of damaged brains having decreased functionality.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Its not very convincing.

For one with Alzheimer's where was the mind all the years leading up to the moment of terminal lucidity? I think this suggests its some other function

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

It also states that transient lucidity, ( lucidity that comes and goes). Is a common occurrence in Alzheimer's patients.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Oh..my bad

In that case this is more believable.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Sorry ..... did not read OP.... why? Man consists of a physical body, mind and spirit. It is the spirit that lives on, not the mind.

But main science will NEVER agree with this .........it shoots down many religious beliefs and non religious beliefs about death AND about what MAN truly is.......

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Aren't the mind and spirit two names for the same thing ? , our mind is the manifestation of our spirit.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join