It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lib-dem dilema

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Hi all, so I was doing some reading the other day and came across an article regarding the Lib-dem health minister Norman Lamb calling for the legalisation of cannabis in the UK, he is advocating for full on legalisation, he's even gathered a team together, including the current police commissioner for Durham Ron Hogg, they have written a bill detailing how it would work in the UK. It would be licenced to sell for recreational use and you can grow it at home for personal use.

Last year there was an e-petition regarding this issue and it was "debated" in parliament. The Bill was then later put through during a ten minute rule session, which was said to be a largely symbolic gesture rather than a genuine attempt.

Norman Lamb has also convinced the entire party to back him! So now the Lib-dems officially stand to legalise cannabis, the first time a major party has advocated legalisation! It was great news to me and it was nice to hear some common sense policies being discussed.

I don't have any confidence in the political system but it intrigued me, so I looked a little deeper into the Lib-dems and I have to say I liked what I had to hear! Then.... Came the dilema...

The Lib-dems are also standing on another very important issue, the eu! They are saying if they get in they will have us stay in the EU! Wait, what??? So they don't like democracy then while preaching on their website about how democratic they are and how they want to reform the democratic process! How can they reform something when they don't understand the very basic yes/no vote!

It really knocked the wind out of my sails... So I ask you guys, especially those that want to see cannabis legalised, what are your thoughts? Would you still vote for them purely on the cannabis issue or would the fact they want to stay in the EU put you off?

Since they announced their EU plans they had many people join the party but I doubt it will be a significant number to change anything.

Also lets imagine they got into power and they kept us in the EU, what would be the reaction of brexit supporters? Rioting would be my best guess!

Anyway thought it was an interesting topic to discuss, I would rather deal with this exact issue than the party itself, or tuition fees etc... I know about all that and I doubt the words from any politician, so no real need to go over all that.

Lib-dems to legalise cannabis

Lib-dems pledge to keep us in the EU

Edit: also this Ron Hogg guy is an interesting character and has stated that the Durham police will not target pot smokers and small scale growers! It's still illegal and if there is a complaint they will investigate but they are not actively trying to catch people now.

Ron Hogg on cannabis
edit on 4-8-2016 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Lib dems? Who are they? Jokeing!

No i wouldnt vote for them over a single issue. Thats a American thing to do.

Sure I want cannbis legalized but not at the expense of everything else.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Party of drug addicts and Pro-EU fascists. What an odd combination.

This party lost any meaning when they entered coalition with Cameron and Osborne's gang in my eyes.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Lib dems? Who are they? Jokeing!

No i wouldnt vote for them over a single issue. Thats a American thing to do.

Sure I want cannbis legalized but not at the expense of everything else.

Yeah okay so not just the single issue, I didn't find anything too offensive with the rest of what they had to say other than joining the EU. For instance they say they want to "disperse power" and they want everyone to be able to live the life they want, they think government should be there to help people do that. I can't say I disagree too much with this, sounds great!

They say that they want communities to work together and live together in peace and for people to get involved at a local level. Again it doesn't sound so bad.

So really for me it is more one issue putting me off, perhaps I should have made that clearer. I have never voted let alone vote for a someone for a single issue.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Party of drug addicts and Pro-EU fascists. What an odd combination.

This party lost any meaning when they entered coalition with Cameron and Osborne's gang in my eyes.

Norman Lamb has never taken drugs but he sees the harm prohibition is causing, it caused the same issues during the alcohol prohibition... Many people in law enforcement and politics agree that the war on drugs is a catastrophic failure... They point to portugal and colorado as alternative approaches that are proving to work very well!

They think drugs are a problem, but it's a health problem and not a criminal one. Not really sure how anyone can disagree with this but I'm sure people will try!

Edit: Also do you think it would have been better if they had joined the labour party? Or joined neither? Why do you think this and what would have been the outcome? Just curious.
edit on 4-8-2016 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join