It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Safe Sleep Zones in Portland OR End

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I figured this is a social issue of sorts so I posted it here if not maybe the mods will move it.

Portland started a program called safe sleep zones for homeless but apparently it has grown, either by misunderstanding or abuse to include forms of public camping so they ended the program.

Safe Sleep Zones Ended

However there is an answer but as usual it creates some problems that would have to be addressed up front.

One we have tons of unused cargo containers and cargo trailers the govt wont allow to be used in cargo shipping, that could be utilized to give nightly sleep areas or even low form of housing. Of course they cannot be modernized to a point to give them environmental controlled atmosphere like A/C and heating but they could be monitored to give some a safe place to sleep at night. Provided a guard watches over them.

The Other issue is that in an area where they have these places they would also have to provide portapotty's so they are not defecating and urinate on the ground. many homeless have money just not enough to get a place to live. Coming up with 3 months rent is difficult for many, they could rent one of these units for nightly or weekly fees so to maintain the toilets.

Any thoughts?
edit on 3-8-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Out door 'shelters', huh? Not very practical. Those containers get hot during the day and freeze at night. They become a refuge for 'safe' criminal activity.

The larger group of 'homeless' aren't criminal, but criminals take advantage of them to escape detection by mixing in their community.

A designated place doesn't work either because it become an 'eyesore', starts to stink, creating fiscal and heath issues.

Putting them all together is fine for the originators of the idea (it makes them feel safer). The outdoors people might not agree. As soon as you designate a place the corruption starts, theres a guard, a curfew, arguments, fights, drugs, crime. All associated with the 'homeless stigma'.

Heres what worked for us. A nice big overpass span with dirt ramps underneath. Cement topped and ribbed wth metal underneath, it provides shelter in any weather, remains cool during the day, retains the suns heat at night. Its out of sight from the public, has as many 'living niches' as it does steel girders. The -people that live up in there watch out for each other ,self police their problems, any crime, pick up after themselves. I used to make dumpster runs with my truck to get rid of garbage. If someone created a problem we drove them out. Watched over each others stuff during the day when most were gone off earning a meager existence.

The cops knew we were there, used to 'check up' on us, advise, "we know you're here, as long as you keep it tight, no problem".

Sadly, the city council decided to 'clean up' the city, driving the overpass denizens out into the 'real' world to sleep anywhere they could find a spot under some bushes or behind a building. Razor wired off the bridge access and patrol all night with blazers guns and dogs.

All of us will one day say planet earth was our home, there is no such thing as homeless, just phases of life. Leave these people be, they aren't bothering you for the most part, or asking for your help. Like I said with exceptions. Like any community, deal with those exceptions, not blanket policy them all.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Bus them out of state!

That's what some of the Canadian cities have been doing.

Ship them to Detroit or Minneapolis-St. Paul, or Chicago.

And no, I'm not kidding! According to stories I've read, other US cities are doing that.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
the homeless are people like the rest of us, and need to be treated as human beings.
people dont choose to be homeless or live a life without hope and dreams.
something has to be done for them because i can see only more..not less of them in the coming near future.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Actualy cargo containers can be utilized and weather proofed and turned in to low low income housing

www.nbcwashington.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Just a small suggestion with no real experience behind it, and it may only help a small percentage of homeless:

Wouldn't it be nice if hotels or motels etc... gave people in these situations jobs at the business in return for a unit to live in? Then if they wanted to have cash on hand, they could pick up a part time job at night, etc....???

Or am I pipe dreaming?

-Alee

new topics

top topics

join