It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

REAL: Cops pull over driver and passenger, surprise them with ICE CREAM

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This video makes my head hurt for so many reasons.

Can't embed have to link to liveleak (comments will be NSFW).

WATCH VIDEO

So I'm assuming this is an attempt by Halifax P.D. to ease tensions between the community and law enforcement?

I thought they couldn't pull people over without probable cause? Perhaps this is the police's way of demonstrating how catering to protected classes can be ridiculous and even offensive.

What would you have done if you were the driver?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
First thing I'd do is panic.
That's my SOP for any interaction with thugs.

Once I realized they weren't there to try and directly ruin my life, I'd play along and do my best not to give them a reason to shoot, maim, arrest, or otherwise inconvenience me.

And then I'd proceed to be late to where I was going.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
That's cool.

Now I want ice cream, damnit.

Course someone's gonna criticize them for it.
edit on 8/2/2016 by ~Lucidity because: damn phone can't type.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Plot twist. The ice cream was stolen and you have just received stolen property.

Then the police handcuff you and proceed to search your car with probable cause.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Damn, I suffer when I eat ice cream. I would have to just say no.

Drive away eating the ice cream and they can bust you for something.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
They've done this in previous years too. Not sure if it was Halifax, I just remember that it was Canada somewhere as well.

Sometimes our cops have squirt guns.
We're not used to the heat...makes cops in bulky uniforms giddy at times.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Most cops are not thugs, you must be confusing them for the low lifes that rob stores and beat people in the ally for money.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The damn near heart attack I'd get from being pulled over would not be worth the ice cream.

Every time a cop is behind me I immediately look at my speedometer terrified I haven't accidentally had a lead foot for a few seconds or something.

I am in a position where a speeding ticket would damn near completely ruin me. I couldn't pay it. I also am not very healthy heart wise.

Just having a cop behind me makes me feel nauseous and makes my chest hurt.

It's an involuntary reaction, it's a scary scenario.

I'm sure the cops had good intentions. But getting pulled over is scary for many people. The assumption is that something you need is likely to be taken from you, by force if necessary. You are about to put into a position where you have no power and are at risk of losing your license, money you might need, or in some more extreme cases even your life or freedom. You are at the mercy of those officers.

I get the intent, but I personally would be so horrified by the incident I couldn't eat said ice cream.

If they really want to give people ice cream, or do something nice, do it when they are out and about.

I've seen cops all over, hanging out at 7-11's and various other places, often amongst the people. They don't say hi to people, they often glare when you wave hi. If they want to outreach, that's the time and place to do it.

Smile at people, be friendly, say hi. That would go much further for making me comfortable with officers than all the ice cream in the world. I see people constantly try to engage officers in a friendly way, resulting in sneers or being ignored.

All officers need to do to improve their image is actually engage in, and be a positive part of the community. Make themselves seem like decent human beings.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Here's the youtube video (live leak site and video aren't working for me):

That was cute... citing section blah blah blah "it's against the law to drive in hot weather without an ice cream".

Great sense of humour from both the police and the driver !

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

So?

He still pulled them over without probable cause.

If they had approached some ordinary citizens on the street with Ice Cream I wouldn't see any harm, but this is almost insulting.

You have to consider the very strong possibility that they were profiled for being black. So far I haven't seen any other videos of them giving drivers ice cream in a traffic stop, so I have to wonder.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Settle down Francis.

This is Canada. We have a sense of humour here.

Very few people would get angry and upset over something fun and light hearted like this.

And please don't drag that "race profiling/baiting" crap into it... this is Canada we're talking about, not the US.

Mmmkay ?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

The video is from Halifax, NC.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

Hmm...I thought Halifax, VA.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Here's the youtube video (live leak site and video aren't working for me):

That was cute... citing section blah blah blah "it's against the law to drive in hot weather without an ice cream".

Great sense of humour from both the police and the driver !

The sad thing is the lady is terrified of the police, that terror is seen on her face
The police are joking, playing on her fear of a life and death situation in her mind, actually very scary
It's good to see the cops try to do something, this doesn't work

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Oh okay, my bad.

I thought it was Halifax, NS... because they were so friendly and non-confrontational and didn't have their hands on their holster when approaching the vehicle.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Oh okay, my bad.

I thought it was Halifax, NS... because they were so friendly and non-confrontational and didn't have their hands on their holster when approaching the vehicle.

95% of the cops in the US are like that. Just in known drug trafficking and gang banger land are they more uptight.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

The sad thing is the lady is terrified of the police, that terror is seen on her face
The police are joking, playing on her fear of a life and death situation in her mind, actually very scary
It's good to see the cops try to do something, this doesn't work.

My thoughts exactly.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
First thing I'd do is panic.
That's my SOP for any interaction with thugs.

Once I realized they weren't there to try and directly ruin my life, I'd play along and do my best not to give them a reason to shoot, maim, arrest, or otherwise inconvenience me.

And then I'd proceed to be late to where I was going.

And then hope your Emmy nomination for best dramatic performance came in the mail?

Good Christ.

This is a case of good initiative poor execution. Easier and better ways to go about improving community relations.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Orionx2

95% of the cops in the US are like that. Just in known drug trafficking and gang banger land are they more uptight.

I don't doubt that to be the truth.

But as an outsider looking in, you'd never know it from all of the non-stop hatred being spewed on ATS.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Most regular people aren't uptight nitpicking cynics. The lady probably appreciated the gesture and went about her day.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join