It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocean heat content: best evidence of global warming and confirmation of global climate models.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesungod
a reply to: Greven

Global warming is BS. Climate change is real, to an extent.

Al Gore told my entire school the polar bears and north pole would be gone by 2012.

Polar cap intact? Check.

Polar bears still dancing and singing? Check.

Species dying off in droves from our effect on the climate? Check.

Entire enviroments being destroyes by our impact? Check.

That's what I'm babbling about.

Global warming is demonstrably happening.

Why do you care so much about Al Gore? Nobody else does.

Fact of the matter is, that expedition is sailing around the Arctic as we speak, not trapped in ice.

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

They should be able to sail now is the problem. It's artic summer. It's a publicity stunt.

Al Gore lied to my face is why I care.

Climate change is happening, "global warming" is MOSTLY junk science focusing on a small set of data and not taking into account things like say this for example.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: thesungod

Al Gore told my entire school the polar bears and north pole would be gone by 2012.
I don't believe you heard correctly. Because this is what he was actually saying at the time.

Last September 21, as the Northern Hemisphere tilted away from the sun, scientists reported with unprecedented distress that the North Polar ice cap is "falling off a cliff." One study estimated that it could be completely gone during summer in less than 22 years. Another new study, to be presented by U.S. Navy researchers later this week, warns it could happen in as little as 7 years.
www.nobelprize.org...

Your source (pretty old, btw):

A study suggests the Britain of 2,000 years ago experienced a lengthy period of hotter summers than today.
Britain had hot summers 2,000 years ago. How about its winters?

In so doing, the researchers have been able for the first time to precisely demonstrate that the long-term trend over the past two millennia has been towards climatic cooling.
Yes. That was indeed the trend, until about 100 years ago.

edit on 7/28/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

This was 90s not the 2000s.

Sorry, but until someone pulls some actual empirical data without being funded by a global warming group I can't believe it. All old data says cooling, since we've begun collecting data about the climate, about 100 yeas ago also, we have a warming trend. I trust the data from 1000+ years of semi accurate data, over 100 years of more accurate data.

That said we are having an effect on our world. We need to chnage things.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   

I trust the data from 1000+ years of semi accurate data, over 100 years of more accurate data.
That seems like an odd perspective.
Do you really not think that global temperatures are increasing?

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Im not the type of guy that will say that we as humans cant reduce our carbon emission... that would be ignorant to say.

But let me ask you this...

- Do you honestly believe that we as human occupy a biological system which we can have total control of?

- Do you believe we as humans have a greater effect on the planet than the solar system or even galaxy have on it?

- Do you believe that we as humans, regardless of what we do can counter ANY of these natural cycles that are occuring, have occured for billions of years and will continue to occur forever??

We need to stop the # meassuring stuff constantly with the purpose of trying to find a way to make it stop changing. Instead funnel all those resources 100% into finding out what we have to invent and build in order to adapt to this cycle.

My guess is that no matter what we do though, either the sun or the solarsystem or something else is going to pop a nice surprise on us within the next couple of 100 years. One that will more or less destroy us.

We have got to step out of this megalomaniac mentality that we are so freaking important and all powerful.
We are a blip a line of time..... our presence is insignificant in the greater scheme of things. Once we realise as a species that the universe really doesnt give a # about us, we can start doing what is right and what matters.
Too much talk of this and that.... nothing worse than scientist bickering about beliefs.
The one scientist who is out there trying to invent something that will give us 20 more years or invent the warp drive or hyper drive is the only man or woman that is actually worth a damn thing.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   

They should so the same models for mars.... as a control planet.
Last I read Mars was heating as well.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: flice

- Do you honestly believe that we as human occupy a biological system which we can have total control of?
Not as yet. There are many things over which we have no control. But give us a few thousand years and who knows.

Do you believe we as humans have a greater effect on the planet than the solar system or even galaxy have on it?
That would depend on the effect you are talking about as well as its cause.

- Do you believe that we as humans, regardless of what we do can counter ANY of these natural cycles that are occuring, have occured for billions of years and will continue to occur forever??
You are assuming that the current warming trend is natural. Why?

Last I read Mars was heating as well.
Where did you read that? I would be interested to learn how a global average temperature for Mars is derived and the time scale which is used.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
I wonder if that magic big shiny round thingy in the sky has anything to do with temperature variations...

Nope, it's gotta be us...mainly evil companies seeking to power the globe...those science minded fools....

Believe in the religion of global warming....it's the best faith as it requires zero common sense and the most faith based reasoning based AGAINST analytics and actual numbers...

-Christosterone

Amazing. You simultaneously invoked science and denied it.

Gold medal: Rio 2016 (gymnastics)
edit on 28-7-2016 by WhateverYouSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   

I think there is a short term trend of warming, but the longer term trend is for cooling. We have to be objective when thinking of things on other timelines. Earth 4 billion years. A human 100 years if lucky.

Climate CHANGE, yes. Global warming, no or at least not yet.

I mean look at the ice age and global flood myths. What if it is just part of the cycle? What about the dinosaurs and the metoer theory? If a meteor struck earth and blacked out the sky. Did that cause an ice age or a green house gas effect?

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Nat Geo on Mars warming

Here is more recent article on the study.
edit on 28-7-2016 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Climate CHANGE, yes. Global warming, no or at least not yet.

Global warming causes climate change.

If a meteor struck earth and blacked out the sky. Did that cause an ice age or a green house gas effect?
It did not cause an ice age or a glacial period, but it very likely caused a cooling. Just as the eruption of Pinatubo did for a short while. So I guess we can hope for a large impact and keep on burning fossil fuels?

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

This is just excuses to deny the data. Oh are measuremen's are wrong no one's there to measure it ( you forget we have satellites they can be very accurate.) Bottom line is yes global warming is occurring yes greenhouse gasses contribute to this. The question becomes as a society do we need to fundamentaly change our way of life? That is the real question do we give up technology and energy in an attempt to change the outcome? Or do we attempt to use technology to change thr outcome either way we need to do something.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr
"Giving up" technology is not really a viable option. New technology is the only option. Technology to both help our adaptation to the changes and to slow and mitigate those changes.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   

So covering the sky in causes cooling not warming?

So how is covering the sky in carbon as opposed to dirt causing warming?

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesungod

So covering the sky in causes cooling not warming?
Yes

So how is covering the sky in carbon as opposed to dirt causing warming?
CO2 does not cover the sky. It allows short wave radiation from the sun to reach the surface but prevents long wave radiation from leaving. It's what is commonly referred to as the greenhouse effect.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   

So Mars with an atmosphere of 95% co2 should be baking like venus right?
edit on 28-7-2016 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Yes.
If it were as close to the Sun as Venus is.
And if its atmosphere were as dense as that of Venus.

But, it isn't and it isn't.

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Yes. Mars' climate is more variable than that of Earth because its obliquity is not as stable. However both of the articles you linked say nothing about global temperatures for Mars.

Your source:

The consensus view is that the warming trend on the planets is coincidental and that climate change on Earth can be attributed primarily to increased greenhouse-gas emissions in the atmosphere.

m.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Still haven't addressed the article from nat geo and wash.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join