It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chasing Red Mercury – One Drop from Doomsday?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

Mercury is a very interesting metal. If we were able to make mercury a solid, and keep it in a solid state, it would be the best conductor the world has ever seen.
edit on 24-7-2016 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Will take time to read, thanks, had never heard of it

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverseIf we were able to make mercury a solid, and keep it in a solid state, it would be the best conductor the world has ever seen.

"If"? We can and it makes a pretty decent superconductor.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ressiv

Ahh but 115 was made in 2003, no longer a myth.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokedownChevy
Here's the actual quote that OP misused

"The report, compiled by researchers at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, shows that in the hands of hoaxers and conmen, red mercury can do almost anything the aspiring Third World demagogue wants it to. You want a short cut to making an atom bomb? You want the key to Soviet ballistic missile guidance systems? Or perhaps you want the Russian alternative to the anti-radar paint on the stealth bomber? What you need is red mercury"

Of course it was changed by OP to suit this hoax. The quote comes from a paper titled "Only fools still hunt for elusive red mercury".

I don't get the point you are making. The quote was lifted from here : www.newscientist.com.... There are various other sources too,

It was the introduction to a thread that explains multiple times that 'red mercury' does not exist. That it is indeed a hoax and how people have been put on trial, believed it to be hidden in sewing machines and land mines and some have even died in pursuit of this non-existent substance.

I thought that was perfectly clear. Obviously not in your case.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

Mercury is a very interesting metal. If we were able to make mercury a solid, and keep it in a solid state, it would be the best conductor the world has ever seen.

It was and is used for that purpose. The Nazis used Mercury as a part of an electric circuit to convert multi-phase AC current into DC. A giant glass sphere with electrodes on the top and bottom. The different AC circuits were connected to the top by thick cables connected to electrodes at the top. The live DC cable was connected at the bottom. The Mercury acted as a diode only allowing current to flow one way. The heat would cause the Mercury to evaporate and glow like a neon tube. The AC current would cause a flickering sci-fi effect. Some cable car systems still use this tech. You can see YouTube videos.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Come on guys, everybody knows that Romeo Mike doesn't exist.
Its just something from scfi movies and books.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 25-7-2016 by flatbush71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
It was and is used for that purpose.

Nothing oddball about a mercury arc rectifier. You can do the same thing with sodium, but it's less straightforward because you have to heat the thing a bit before you can fire it.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Well...we can freeze it. It's been done.

Surely the best conductor would be a superconductor. Which are used daily. Are you suggesting the thousands of physicists searching for room temperature superconductors have not looked into mercury? You are sitting on a Nobel prize with your knowledge mate.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   

You do realize we have made it into a solid in fact used to be used in dental work before they realized it was toxic. And no its not a better conductor than gold. You are repeating Internet myths much like red mercury.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

All you need is dry ice. Voila! Solid mercury.

eta: I might add, solid mercury isn't a great conductor. Fair. Not in the same class as, say, silver.
edit on 26-7-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

All you need is dry ice. Voila! Solid mercury.

eta: I might add, solid mercury isn't a great conductor. Fair. Not in the same class as, say, silver.

It boggles my mind where some people on ATS get their basic science info from.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Then there is Mercury & the Philosophers Stone (immortality or Life extension)

That's where my mind drifted too.

Red was the alchemical color of all colors. Preparation of Vermilion (mercuric sulfide) from mercury and sulphur was worked out in all details. Vermilion and mercury itself were considered by some adepts to be the preliminary stage to the "Philosophers Stone" - a magic substance which was capable of converting cheap metalls into gold... The completion of this Opus Magnus (Great Work) was signalled by reddening of the mixture ("rubedo"). This being the reason for naming the Philosopher Stone "Red Lion" or "Great Red Water".

source

posted on Jul, 27 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   

I've always thought if its such a mystery why hasn't a nuclear physicist tried to make it !

but I dunno how does one go about creating a mythical substance

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

"Cinnabar is Mercury Sulphide (HgS) , also known as Red Mercury, i.e. the stuff from which refined mercury (Hg) is made. "

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

"Cinnabar is Mercury Sulphide (HgS) , also known as Red Mercury, i.e. the stuff from which refined mercury (Hg) is made. "

You don't say?

Just wondering if you actually read the thread or even just the opening post to gauge what this thread was all about?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

You don't say?

Just wondering if you actually read the thread or even just the opening post to gauge what this thread was all about?

No actually just ran across that in searching something else and thought it may have interest to something in the thread. Hope it didn't take up to much space.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join