It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Can't Survive on MY Amerika!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I don't know what it is about this song... but i think it has something important to say in this particular time in.... Amerika

cheers
edit on 22-7-2016 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Winter sleep is a terrific Canadian band. This is a prime example of humans finding more meaning in music than is actually there. The inspirations for this song? Walt Whitmans poem, America. The groups frontman, Paul Murphy, had all ready written the music and thought it had an "American" quality to it; at the same time, he had been reading Leaves of Grass.

Bada Boom...deep "meaning" from no where.

Not saying it isn't a fantastic song from a fantastic band, but I'm always fascinated by how people are moved by music and why; and what that music might have actually been inspired by.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

A great homage to our culture that's now since been perverted. Excellent video. S&F.
edit on 22-7-2016 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Yeah, that sums it up pretty well...

"The American Dream" and the cultural highs of yesterday have become a heroine needle of nostalgia. Anyone born and raised in the America of yesterday soaked up the values of what it used to be and now that those values and traditions have been exploited, vilified, used up and sold out, we find ourselves desperate and looking for the America we were raised to be apart of. So we make our selves sick and drunk on history and the high times of yesterday and pretend it's still real... we can't survive on this nostalgia.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Okay, I'll put it out there even though I'm Aussie. When I hear this song it takes me back to the 60's when as a kid I thought America was great and always wanted to live there to share in the dream that was sadly shattered in the 70's.

I don't want to live there now and love my and appreciate country. My education in those days were that other countries were greater than mine. More modern, more technilogical.

I grew out of it and nowadays substitute the word America with Australia.

Dunno what it was in those days, everything about America was big, amazing and unfailing. Rockets, navy, airforce, marines and army. (expendable). Perhaps it was but the world has shrunk and America no longer protects me. My brothers and sisters in our armed forces do.

Don't get me wrong, I still appreciate the past and salute the sacrifices.

My definition of this song. Someone who wasn't but wished they were American at onetime.

My thoughts,

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001 You are right to be proud of your country,when I was in the military I had the great pleasure of a few days in Darwin.The people there were absolutely the nicest,funnest folks I met during my travels-well,I rate New Zealanders equal.The beer was great,too.We have sure declined in the USA,but we WILL get it back togather.The late 70`s were awful too,so theres still hope,I am encouraged by many of our young people,many are hard working and smart so not all are as stupid as the ones you see in the news.Anyway,if you ever visit I would encourage you to see places like the Outer Banks,Great Smokies,Big Bend,Grand Canyon,Yellowstone,Yosemite,or Alaska.Avoid the big cities,too much crime,unless you have a local guide who knows the areas to avoid.Come to think of it you should read signs and obey them in parks.We saw a Japanese family walk over a thermal area in Yellowstone,thank God they didn`t break through.Anyway,enjoy your great country and if you have a chance someday I would welcome you to visit ours.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Good song, cool video,

I've seen the "official" video, its kinda strange.

Wintersleep - Amerika (Official Video)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Perennials, especially small flowering plants, that grow and bloom over the spring and summer, die back every autumn and winter, and then return in the spring from their rootstock, are known as herbaceous perennials.
Perennial_plant

Are you alive, oh my Amerika?
Perennial with the Earth
And freedom, love, and law, and life
Perennial with the Earth
My freedom, I don't wanna die

Spring, grow, bloom, die
Spring comes again
Hard to bloom in fall
time to die
Is it waste?
Spring again
new generation.

edit on 22-7-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ridgerunner

Thanks for the reply mate. Many years ago in the navy I spent sometime on your shores albeit the bars mostly. And coincidentally I enjoyed the company of all I met including the Canadians. Just goes to show.

You are right about the geography and you have some amazing sights to see. Darwin was my home town for a while and it's a great place too. Left there 3 years ago.

On topic, like I said, I grew up in the 60's and this song reminded me of that.

Kind regards,

Bally.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Shameless bump...

top topics

join