It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sign reading

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Hey all was just thinking about body signs and peoples reactions such as if they aer nervous or scared or hiding something... what are some things they will do and how can u tell? i thought this would be the best place to post this topic, if anyone has any oppinion, person experinces or any infomation please post it up here, it would be a great technique to learn for all

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I think it's more so 'body language'. Everyone speaks not just with words. And sometimes we can send off a message by our actions and movements. Body language is just as important if not more, then talking. Some can say one thing, yet you can completely see that their body is saying the opposite.
People can't help the way they send out a certain message by their body language. Sometimes they may even be completely unaware, until someone brings it to their attention.

I don't really think there is a technique in it though. You just have to watch people for a while, watch their movements that coincide with their words. Do they match? If someone says they aren't nervous, yet their foot is swinging back and forth 90 miles an hour, then ask them why they seem nervous, yet insist that they aren't. Touching is a big clue that someone could be fond of you. Crossing their arms could mean they don't agree with you. Not looking in your eyes while they are talking could mean they are intimidated by you and or nervous, because they are lying or uncertain with what they are saying *course it could also mean they have vision problems* Just sit back and observe people, you will soon see what they are saying and feeling without them even opening their mouths.

Good Topic

Magestica

posted on Jun, 21 2003 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Thanx magestic i just relised something from reading that lol. It might no be paranormal but it is the the most useful skill in communication (my oppinion)

posted on Jun, 21 2003 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Instincts and natural ability play a major part in it too.

Some people can just 'read' other peoples emotional states...they just 'feel' them. This is something I have always seemed to be able to do...and it works quite well in my current career (Mental Health Worker). Was I simply born with it?? Maybe...but then again, how I grew up, also necessitated the ability to 'read' how someone was...for it gave prior warning of how that person was, and so I could get the heck outa there before anything bad happened. So in a way, its something that was developed as a protection/safegaurd mechanism...rapid and accurate reading of a situation and a person to reduce harm to self.

Communication is predominately...like 70% or more...NON-Verbal...so relying on what someone is saying with their mouth is not a great indicator of whats really happening on the inside.

Always trust your initial impressions...your gut instincts...you feel them for a reason...perhaps their body language or the 'feel' you get from them is being picked up on a level you aren't overly conscious of/aware to. Perhaps a clue from their behaviour just spurs off something you have learnt and is now almost innate within you.

Be aware also, that body language is affected by many factors...age, gender, cultural background ALL play a part in whether or not the 'messages' you interpret from the person are being interpreted correctly. For example...if someone talks to you, yet fails to make eye contact, in fact deliberately refuses to do so...many people would say thats a probably sign of that person being untruthful with you, evasive etc. However, culturally that may be incorrect...as within my culture (NZ Maori) and many other Pacific cultures (like Pacific Islanders etc) direct eye-contact is something that is not normally done...unless its a person you consider a peer. Its a show of respect NOT to look a superior/person in position of power in the eye...in a way is a humble 'lowering of oneself' before them.

Also...direct eye contact in my culture and in many Pacific Island cultures can also be seen as an act of agression...'eye-balling' someone...so if you deliberately try to make eye contact when they are trying to avoid your eyes (out of respect or whatever), it can actually be taken as a threatening behaviour.

But like Magestica suggests...just watch, just listen...and learn from observation really.

Peace,
ALIEN

top topics

join