It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science education question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Greetings all and thank you for taking time to read and/or comment on this post,

I am interested in pursuing a career in the science industry. I have little to no background other than an extreme interest in nanotech, biotech, and alternative energies. I really would like to get involved and it seems the most direct way is to get some degrees under my belt.

Now for those of you out there that are in the Science industry, what kind(s) of degrees should I be pursuing based upon the areas I am interested listed above? I would really like to be in the hands on area of science, like research and development vs. theory. So any suggestions for getting involved in those areas would be most appreciated.

Thank you for your time and have a great day.

PS: For those of you that may know, why are we so attracted to nuclear power when its side effects are so detrimental?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:11 AM
link   
_BLiND_ in his second paragraph answered my question, hence I deleted part of this post.

Originally posted by FALLOUT SHELTER
PS: For those of you that may know, why are we so attracted to nuclear power when its side effects are so detrimental?

I’ll answer like my high-school physics teacher once answered me:
- It does the least harm to the nature.
- How? What if it will explode?
- If it is working fine it will not explode.
- What about radioactive waste?
- It is a different question. If the waste is properly stored, it will not do any harm to the nature.

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Agnis]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:21 AM
link   

My guess is, high yeilds of energy. And it helps man feel more powerful. I dunno

He didnt mean which courses in school, he ment with degress should he be looking to obtain. I have no idea. Just thought Id clear that up....thought it was obvious though... who knows ..

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Hi, I don't work in science - I am an interested layman rather than a bona fide scientist - so I can't offer inside info on the best courses available. What I can advise though, is to simply pursue the line of study that interests you the most. There are jobs and academic research scholarships out there for all areas of science, there is plenty of scope for you to develop a carreer in whichever field interests you. Check out New Scientist for a good resource on scholarships and jobs in science. The print edition of this publication has an extensive jobs section every week.
Good luck in your persuit of a science orientated carreer!

Because its arguably the *least worst* source of power. That is, although its effects are detrimental, if managed properly they are not as bad as those of fossil fuels and oil. As well as this; apart from the all too finite supply of fossil fuels & oil, nuclear power is the only source that could realistically come close to meeting the energy demands of an industrially developed society (although, to meet our needs a massive expansion programme of nuclear power generation would be needed)

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Thanks for the responses. Yes I am interested in what kinds of degrees that I should pursue that would most effectively get me into the fields of science I mentioned in my first post. I think a bachelors of science is just the first step.

Thanks also for opinions on my nuclear question. I really wish there was someway to wrestle the power form the oil barons that have slowed or disrupted advancements in alternate energy sources. I often fret that the future will go like this as far as energy is concerned; Oil prices continue to soar until it runs out at which time the oil barons will finally release their alternate energy technologies and then rape us again because that is the only other way now that oil is all gone. Just wish I could do something to change this vague image of the future.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I am currently working as a professional scientist. With respect to degrees required: you need a basic undergraduate degree that conforms best with your particular field, ie: Physics, mathematics, chemistry, biology, biochemistry, etc. If you are interested in Biotech specifically, you'll need a pretty solid background in all of those subjects, especially chemistry and mathematics. Biology/biochemistry come easy if you understand those two.

After obtaining your undergraduate degree, you need to get into a good Ph.D. program.... no need to get a Master's. Many people with Master's in science are people who dropped out of a Ph.D. program.

One thing to know up front: getting your Ph.D. isn't the final step in becoming a scientist, it's the FIRST step. Your career as a professional scientist doesn't begin until you've received your Ph.D. From that point on, it's all about developing a strong research program/ethic for yourself, publishing your work in a peer reviewed environment, and receiving funding for your work.

I hope this helps. If you need any advice, U2U me or reply via this thread.

top topics

join