It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I’m A Millennial And My Generation Sucks

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

My mother is the same with her ipad and phone, attempting to talk to her when she is playing is like asking a concussed person to work out what 1274x740 is... It just isn't happening.

Maybe she is a one off but I believe it's an addiction thing not a generational one.

I do regret teaching her how to serf the web, I'll never be taught how to use the washing machine now!

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
a reply to: strongfp

My mother is the same with her ipad and phone, attempting to talk to her when she is playing is like asking a concussed person to work out what 1274x740 is... It just isn't happening.

Maybe she is a one off but I believe it's an addiction thing not a generational one.

I do regret teaching her how to serf the web, I'll never be taught how to use the washing machine now!

I know it was a typo...but it's a brilliant accident.
The Internet has become our Lord and Master...and we have all become it's 'Serfs'.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Leave my millennial people alone! How can you blame us, we came from this era!

Once you read the lyrics, the song will never be the same, can't believe they would play it on the radio all the time.
edit on 4-7-2016 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Im 21 and I can tell you only one thing. Whatever thes problems are they are only getting progressively worse. I cannot even relate to 17 year olds already. Its crazy. I imagine the future of high school for instance as one giant party sex pool with flashing lights taught by instructors doing coke. Not really kidding. Lol

The fakeness of it all is the biggest problem i have with my generation. Social media. Where people portray themselves as who they wish they could be. Throw snapchat in on top of that which now auto edits photos for people to make them look like a magazine cover (totally unreality) and all the meet up and screw apps you can imagine. Crockey mate!
edit on 4-7-2016 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype
I really hope you are. I plan on having two daughters. Well, that's the dream anyways. I'm not sure a gun toting dad will be enough if that is the case...

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

I wish luck to you and i do not want you to worry. Things will work out and you will figure it all out. (:
Unfortunately I am only barely kidding though.

I have a son already. Yeah yeah, i know. But I am a father to him and I cannot even imagine having a daughter in this day and age.

That being said, if I have another I hope it is a girl. Little boys are like tornadoes.
edit on 4-7-2016 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype
Well, I'm bound to be worried once my daughters are born, but I have some years before that happens. From what I've seen in high school when I was a senior the boys of the freshman class made jokes on the topic of sex and I think it will be getting worse as you say and I remember hearing them say when asked who Bob Marley is that he's a comedian...

You're a young father, but I'm sure you're a fine dad. I don't think all the young people are like that. Some are very sensible and don't go around about sex much. Thank god!

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
proto-knowledge.blogspot.com.au...

The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."

(From a sermon preached by Peter the Hermit in A.D. 1274)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold
I disagree with the idea that young people only care about themselves or lack respect towards their parents or old age. Girls might be less modest, but that isn't true of all girls.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

After 95? Babes in the woods.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64
I don't think that's quite the term. I'll keep Gen Z. Wow. Generation Zombie. Makes sense. But not all of us.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I'm 25, and don't fit the Millennial category - part of it was because I've had a hard time in the real world; for a lot of it, I was on my own in several spots. I want extra food other than what my dad provided? Buy it myself. I need to get to school and don't own a car? I walk or bike. Need laundry done? Learn to use the washer and dryer.

Now, my dad took out my school loans for my somewhat worthless associates - I told him seeing as I have a job, every cent he took out is coming right back at him.

I think that the article came out as a little OP for Millennials; every generation grew up in a different era. For Generation Y, it's the tech age: The "old timer's" were never able to network as much as the newer generations can. For Generation Y, instead of typing a letter (which might reach a person in days), they are using the tech the previous generations were using and making it instantaneous. They live with videos, pictures, and instant chat. They have a different outlook on life, as do all generations prior to them.

My grandparent's dreams were simple: Live a happy life. My parents: have a family, and successful job. Me: Have a job that showcases my talents (giving me happiness), and allows me to live a happy life. Doesn't sound so "it's all about meeeee" when you look at it that way.

-fossilera

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
So let's break this article down. One of the first things this guy did was pick and choose a few obscure millennials who did silly things like complaining about their low salary online and used that as evidence to show that the whole millennial generation are losers. For one thing, complaining about a low salary is hardly only something a millennial would do. For another, if that is the worst thing he can dig up, the millennials are doing pretty good.

Continuing on - no one I know likes the Kardashians.

Moving on again, the millennials are the first generation to really grow up using technology such as the internet. Technology from the information age is going to affect how everyone thinks and interacts for the next millennium as much as the industrial revolution did. A lot of points in this article were made against millennials because they are being proactive with the new technology, and that scares the older generations because it is different.

As a side, there are definitely challenges that are going to come with changes of this magnitude, but there are both good and bad things about technology. I'm sure it will mature as it gets older.

Some of the article is hyperbole - how is a millennial going to take a jet back home to sleep in their childhood bedroom in the basement if they simultaneously have no work ethic, for example? As a side note to this, my dad is a very successful doctor (a baby boomer) and his childhood bedroom stayed intact at his parents' house until the day they died and their house was bulldozed.

Reading the rest of the article (other than the text quoted in the O.P.) is a relief, because it actually says some meaningful things in some places.

According to Gallup, in 2016, 21 percent of the commitment-phobes left their job after less than a year. Sixty percent are open to it.

There. We actually have a relevant statistic. This is the one fact the article says that is worth its salt and can legitimately characterize the generation. But how does it compare to other generations when they were young and just starting out in the workforce? And how is the economy different today? Will millennials eventually settle into a single job when they get older, or not?

My plans for the next five years include changing jobs at least once. I just finished getting retrained in computer science, and I am starting an internship next month. After that, I plan on working at the same web design company for a wage. After that, I plan on moving on to my next job at some point, using the experience from the web design company. This is what the owner of the web design company expects, as we talked about it already.

edit on 05amTue, 05 Jul 2016 01:15:43 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 05amTue, 05 Jul 2016 01:23:59 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   
The laziest, whineiest, I want everything and dont want to earn it generation. You are correct. Your generation is amazingly lacking in critical thinking and live in a fantasy world .

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join