It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Purpose of Parables

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
People seem to dislike the idea of Jesus having secret teachings. But he explains that this is in fact the reason he speaks in parables. So some people DON'T understand.

Luke 8:9-10

Then the disciples asked him what this parable meant. He said, "To you it has been given to know the secrets of the Kingdom of God; but to others I speak in parables, so that 'looking they may not percieve, and listening they may not understand .' "

So clearly Jesus taught in secret. And his public teachings were veiled in parables.

It's for this reason that I seek extra Biblical teachings of Jesus like Apocrypha and study esoteric traditions that apply the same principle.

I wonder why Jesus didn't teach the secrets to the public. Are they not worthy? Pearls before swine I guess.

What kind of secrets were they? Mystery teachings like the ancient schools? That makes sense, the uninitiated were not told the mysteries and initiates knew not to divulge them.

Does anyone have any insight on this? I am dying to hear what positive thinking people take away from this most curious passage.
edit on 2-7-2016 by Wombocracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Wombocracy

Then the disciples asked him what this parable meant. He said, "To you it has been given to know the secrets of the Kingdom of God; but to others I speak in parables, so that 'looking they may not percieve, and listening they may not understand .' "

So clearly Jesus taught in secret. And his public teachings were veiled in parables.

Some admit that Jesus of Nazareth could've been a normal sage of his times well educated in Hermetic/Gnostic thought, Zoroastrianism, Hinduism etc.

This very well connects with the claims of secret teaching you make.(well you're not the only one ofc.)
In all old religions teachings there is one credo - do not teach the unprepared, you could do harm to him and to you both.
I agree that the secret teachings of Jesus of Nazareth could've been exactly following this wise in its core advice.

I have some experience in martial arts, it like the same with spirituality, if you push too early, too hard, you might just get a broken bone...

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Lassiecat

He does manage to combine a great many traditions. And I believe you are correct, some knowledge must be earned first, then tested slowly.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Well, those who wrote the NT and OT were very well-versed in occult knowledge and mystery school symbolism, that's why those themes are present throughout the entire bible.

The bible itself is one big book of parables used to hide knowledge from the uninitiated and to divulge it to those who are initiated.

The ones who take it literally are the uninitiated, the ones who see it as symbolic stories describing the workings of the self and universe are the initiated.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

"To you it has been given to know the secrets of the Kingdom of God; but to others I speak in parables, so that 'looking they may not percieve, and listening they may not understand .' "

Because they would kill him outright if they did understand it. They did eventually kill him, anyway.

Shallow, self serving people don't want to think too deep about anything. By deep I mean from the conduit of the soul. When you hear a spiritual message its with different ears, those that can hear will get it because they have the same soul station playing in their head.

Those that don't aren't tuned to the right frequency, they are deaf. What they do eventually perceive is a threat to their stubborn pride and they can't stand that, it threatens their whole value structure. So they get busy killing and maiming to shut those people up.

Jesus, Socrates, MLK, Gandhi...

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Spiritually tone deaf !

You coined a new term. I am going to use that.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I think there’s 2 good reasons why Jesus was teaching in secret.

(1) The tptb at the time would have seen such teachings as threatening their rule, and power. And I personally think they (the higher up Pharisees) new the secrets but kept them hidden, so would have accused anyone teaching them as being blasphemous.

(2) Jesus also realised that people had to search for God, and parables are a great way to bring in those who are seeking, because they begin to genuinely search and go within themselves, and seek Gods truth.

If someone just tells a person what the truth is, they might either believe it or reject it. Only through self enquiry and knowledge and experiencing God directly can one come to know the real truth…

How do I know this lol

- JC

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wombocracy

Spiritually tone deaf !

You coined a new term. I am going to use that.

Actually you coined it. I meant more radio signals, (like tuned to) the wrong station.
edit on 2-7-2016 by intrptr because: in parenthesis

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Lassiecat

Well doh, you dont think i figured that out the last couple of days? Still have that little human inside of me..

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I wonder what the world would be like if everyone was aware.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Cool. I did add the tone part.

I got what you meant though, I hardly ever feel like I am on the same frequency as anyone myself. I do believe that if you ask (and listen), you will receive if you ask for the proper things.

I also believe there is faith and there is Faith. And that that makes all the difference.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

You just keep listening to that inner voice of reason. It lights your path.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Parables? I thought they talked like political candidates in the bible. never a straight answer.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
One aspect we modern believers have that the peoples of the time of Jesus didn't have is our ignorance to the symbology He used in the parables .One aspect that we have over the early believers is hind sight about the Kingdom . We now know that it's been 2000 years sense the inauguration of the Kingdom .(the mustard seed) .

Mat 13:31 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:
Mat 13:32 Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.
Mat 13:33 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.
Mat 13:34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:
KJV

What might be a good way of looking at this parable in our modern times is that it would explain to the believers of today how those birds (false believers) have taken up into the many branches .They go to college or university and get the proper certificates to go out into the field , make a few bucks or a lot ,fleecing the flock .You see them on the TV if you have the stomach to watch .Their Crystal palaces with all the glitter and grace of Hollywood .

One believer I have respect for in the subject matter is Dr. Walter Martin and his series on the Kingdom of the Cults .
Because as a new believer and looking over the body of Christianity can be daunting and hard to understand .Mat.13 was never taught much in any Church I had gone to .Probably because it exposes the false members and they like to wear their sheeps clothing .

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The best example of this I can think of is the parable of the sower.

Jesus tells the parable in Matthew 13:1-10, then explains the purpose of parables using an Apocryphal (secreted away) prophecy of Isaiah before revealing the meaning of the sower parable.

He gave us an example to use when interpreting parables.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
The parable of weeds among the wheat is the most misunderstood I think. Matthew 13:24-30

The weeds being burnt is misinterpreted simply to mean separating good people or "saved" people from "unbelievers." The fire thought to represent "hell."

An oversimplification if ever. Fire has always been a symbol of purification and wisdom. When the weeds are being burned you are being purified and naturally wisdom will come.
edit on 2-7-2016 by Wombocracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

He did teach openly to the public, but when Phrisees were around He taught in parables. He would always explain to His disciples though. And after they said He did miracles by the power of Satan He only taught in parables, I know minor details. But good reading, most people think He taught in parables to help people understand, when it's the opposite, He wanted to conceal truth from the Scribes, Saducees, and Pharisees.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Walter Martin is fantastic.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join