It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you think that the 2016 election is dirty?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
We really can't go a day here on ATS without hearing how this the dirtiest election, strangest election ever. For the most part, that is true. But it seems that the campaign boys from 1828 could teach their counterparts in the present day a thing or two. Check this out...

Andrew Jackson had a number of skeletons in his closet that were easy for the Adams camp to exploit in 1828. For one, he had a fierce temper. His violent life included a number of duels, one of which, in 1806, ended with the death of his opponent (Jackson remains the only president ever to kill a man in a duel). For another, General Jackson, during the War of 1812, had ordered the execution of six men in his militia who were accused of desertion. This incident haunted him in the election, when an Adams supporter, a printer named John Binns, produced and disseminated a poster featuring six black coffins, intimating that Jackson had murdered the militiamen. Echoing the modern-day 2004 election, when military hero John Kerry was “swift-boated” by George W. Bush, Jackson’s military successes were turned against him. He was accused of disobeying direct orders when he successfully subdued Spanish Florida in 1819, the equivalent of invading a foreign county. In New Orleans during the War of 1812, his declaration of martial law, and his harsh military rule, became a campaign issue because it had actually happened after the war was over.

The truth is, is that was the tamest of the insults. Jackson was accused of being an adulterer and chasing his wife's then husband off, and his wife was accused of bigamy. They even insinuated that Jackson's mother was a prostitute and that he was in fact the product of a union between a prostitute and a mulatto. They sure could sling some mud back then.

Adams didn't escape it. According to all the muckrakers of the day, he owed his success to his father and to his pimping skills. Yes, that pimping.

So maybe we should take it easy on the current muckrakers. They aren't the first, and the ain't the worst.

www.alternet.org...

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

So corruption in politics and bottom of the barrel candidates are fine because there are past instances which are even worse?

Just curious, which campaign do you work for, Trump's or Hillary's?

Or are you a consultant for both the RNC and DNC?

By the way, Jackson was targeted by the banks because he refused to renew their charter.

He did such a great job of holding off the bankers, that it took them almost 100 years to re-establish a privately owned central bank now known as the Federal Reserve.

Jackson may have been the greatest American of all time.

edit on 28-6-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
So, just ignore Hillary's murders, treasonous behavior, lying and money laundering because of the above? Really? This does not equate to me.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Hmmm, I'm afraid that I can't answer your question as it seems that there is some confusion here. Could you kindly point out the part of my post that talked about corruption in politics, or , for that matter, the part where I gave a thumbs up to current politics, Thanks

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Point out that part of the post please. I meant this post as a lighthearted look back at the past, so that we can see that we are not too far removed from our forefathers when it comes to muckraking campaigning. I assure you that there are no hidden or dual meanings in this thread.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

I know all about Andrew Jackson, and have for 35 years. I still don't see what your point is, as it neither follows the intent nor the spirit of my thread. Quick question though...why did you deem it necessary to completely change your original post?

edit on 28-6-2016 by Arizonaguy because: typo

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
1. Your post did not seem light-hearted to me.
2. Your post was written in light of the present horror of a very divisive election.
3. Our forefathers could be quite scandalous in their accusations of their opponents but still come nowhere near modern day global outcomes in present elections.

Sorry. This election is just too sober for me.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
1. Your post did not seem light-hearted to me.
2. Your post was written in light of the present horror of a very divisive election.
3. Our forefathers could be quite scandalous in their accusations of their opponents but still come nowhere near modern day global outcomes in present elections.

Sorry. This election is just too sober for me.

1. I reckon that I should have used more cowbell or emoticons or something.
2. Horror? Really?
3. I don't take things as seriously as you do obviously. I have been hearing since I was 12 years old how electing such and such meant doomsday. Reagan was sure to start WWlll, then Bush because of his CIA background, then Clinton was in league with the antichrist, etc..etc...etc.... I've heard it all. This will be the 8th Presidential election in which I have voted. I was well aware and followed closely the previous 2. The sky has been falling for at least 36 years.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

From one generation to the next, it keeps getting more and more ridiculous. And the number of affected lives behind each candidate keeps rising.

When I look at Bernie Sanders he is a clear choice. While Trump and Hillary have body counts near the millions in affected people.

But one thing is clear. More Americans have become aware of the truth thanks to technology.

And this may not be the major changing factor in politics... It may not even be the most significant in change. And this may only be a stepping stone added to the pile... But it will be one of the biggest.

Eventually everything will fall apart. And the questions will not be whether or not we care, or can we rebuild it. But the question will be what it has always been. How do we deal with it now?

I am actually a fan of reversing everything. Even though I know I won't enjoy it. It will be for the better.

Hopefully if Bernie Sanders makes it more will come from the woodwork. As long as we can finally have a real say in this process. We will finally be able to turn over this machine.

But I know it won't happen because everyone is exactly the same.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Come on, everybody, give the lad a break.
I see this thread is in the History Forum.
So it's an exercise in history, not an exercise in political propaganda. No passions involved. Just objective curiosity.
It's interesting.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   
It should also be worth noting that much of Jackson's platform was based on preventing a Central Banking system that was trying to slither it's way into existence.

Same cabal. Different century.

Perhaps that's why so much venom was thrown Jackson's way. The stubborn old elite wanted their way.

top topics

join