It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Still naming Europe a "continent" is Politically inCorrect backwardsness.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: neo96
Well then, I guess that explains a lot.
Did they teach you there was a global flood too?

Public Education, and NO.

Have a problem with what I say ?

Take it up with a DOE.

I am a product of it.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Well then, I guess that explains a lot.
Did they teach you there was a global flood too?

Public Education, and NO.

Have a problem with what I say ?

Take it up with a DOE.

I am a product of it.
Ah. Ok. Not your fault then. You're just a product of your education.

edit on 6/25/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown
a reply to: Gothmog

You smart fella.

Yeah , I have my 5th grade edumakation to fall back on if needed.
Peace

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
But Europe is beautiful. Screw it(tis idea)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

a reply to: Phage
And north being "up". It's a lie. Don't get me started on Mercator projections.

originally posted by: wdkirk
Why is this even an issue?
Who cares?

undoubtedly more Pangaeaphobes that need to check their microcontinents.

edit on 25-6-2016 by Tellurian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: VivreLibre
Can you name a time period where every single culture in every region was equally exceptional?

That's not possible, as it defies definition.

What might be possible tho, at least in recorded human history, based on all the "exceptions" we know about...
How many "continents" total there have been in known human history.

That would be an interesting debate, in the context herein.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Exactly. So we have to acknowledge the exceptionalism of those cultures and regions.

If they weren't exceptional at some point, they wouldn't exist as we know them. If cultures in Asia were never exceptional at any point, Asia as we know it would not exist and it would just be a larger extension of whoever conquered it. And the same goes for the rest.

I think maybe you're just jealous of Europe's exceptional history.
edit on 25-6-2016 by VivreLibre because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I thought the continents were defined by the continental plates they 'floated on' and not connected landmass? I guess you learn something new every day.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I thought the continents were defined by the continental plates they 'floated on' and not connected landmass? I guess you learn something new every day.

Continents were described as such long before the theory of plate tectonics was formulated.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   
The "break" is at the Ural mountains.

It doesn't seem arbitrary if you look at the map.

www.anylatitude.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

wikipedia.org/wiki/Ural_Mountains
edit on 26-6-2016 by FlyingFox because: freedom

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 01:53 AM
link   

I was taught oil came from dinosaurs.

Really?
I was taught it came from forests and algal beds. Animals did not provide enough biomass. And I was in public schools through 6th grade.

Come on Phage, you never wondered where them giant poops went? A few million years of tree trunk sized logs never entered your radar? lol. That's a lot of fertilizer to dismiss. You NASA guys really go where no man has gone before.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP
I've held coprolites in my very hands.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   

I've held coprolites in my very hands.

That's actually pretty cool, damn you NASA guys get all the best #.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Not in NASA. Never was.
My (ex)Father in law was though, for a while.

edit on 6/26/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Not in NASA. Never was.
My (ex)Father in law was though, for a while.

Well for an ex not member that's still some cool #, literally.

Hey you can still be a resident manure expert, I will back you all the way.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
This subject was covered by Arnold Toynbee in an annex to the eighth volume of his Study of History; 'Asia' and 'Europe": Facts and Fantasies.
Briefly summarising, the names of Europe and Asia were originally applied by the Greeks to the two sides of the Aegean sea. In that context, there was a clear separation, and the distinction made sense. The historian Herodotus helped to create the idea that they were two distinct cultures.
The distinction continued to make sense when the Greeks got into the Black Sea. But it breaks down north of the Black Sea because there is no physical boundary line between the two alleged continents. The famous Urals (according to Toynbee) are not much more of a barrier than the Chiltern hills. South of the Urals, the nomads who travelled the Steppes would have seen no distinction whatsoever. Any objective physical geography has to count Eurasia as a single continent.

As for the cultural issue, Toynbee would have identified five different cultures in modern Eurasia; the originally Catholic culture of western Europe, the Orthodox culture in eastern Europe, the Indian, the Chinese, and the Muslim. In that system, Russia is a branch of the Orthodox culture which had colonised Siberia.
edit on 26-6-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Exactly. So we have to acknowledge the exceptionalism of those cultures and regions.

If they weren't exceptional at some point, they wouldn't exist as we know them. If cultures in Asia were never exceptional at any point, Asia as we know it would not exist and it would just be a larger extension of whoever conquered it. And the same goes for the rest.

I use the word "special", because it isn't Politically inCorrect. "Exceptional" has the jist of being 'better than everybody else', and deserving special privileges, which is counter PC.

Of course PC in practice, has it where everybody but the 'dominant' gender within the 'majority' race of a population are now to be marginalized, and are to treat all those 'minor' social groups 'exceptionally'. It's what I've recently come to call as "Social Group Warfare" aka "PCivil War" (but you didn't hear all this from me).
edit on 26-6-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I use the word "special", because it isn't Politically inCorrect. "Exceptional" has the jist of being 'better than everybody else', and deserving special privileges, which is counter PC.

Of course PC in practice, has it where everybody but the 'dominant' gender within the 'majority' race of a population are now to be marginalized, and are to treat all those 'minor' social groups 'exceptionally'. It's what I've recently come to call as "Social Group Warfare" aka "PCivil War" (but you didn't hear all this from me).

They were better than everyone else, though. When I say Europe was exceptional, I mean they were better than literally every other region on the planet.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: VivreLibre

That, sir, is a grandiose macroaggression:

Large-scale or overt aggression toward those of a different race, culture, gender, etc.; contrasted with microaggression.
en.wiktionary.org...

The PC Movement routinely (metaphorically) lynches people for less than that.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Saw this on facebook and had to log in here to flag you. I didn't know this. Thank you for this information. I think you're correct.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join