It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Onion Reviews 'Independence Day: Resurgence'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

An inspirational look at our past and just how far we have come as a society, to all those who loved to serve and served to love
Thank U for your service..

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Lol, I'd rather fly Jasmine any day.

From the comments section…

The movie is already behind the times.. they didn't address or include gay muslim pilots finding love in transgendered strippers. I think this movie's writers may be accused of racism in excluding every possible combination of inclusivity.Thanks onion…

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
There is a lot of truth to the intro. I was in the unit portrayed in the movie the USMC VMFA-314 Black Knights. They were based out of El Toro CA. That base has since closed but the El Toro in movie was not the actual base.

There was a big stink at the time of the USMC not happy at all about the stripper supporting role. I believe they had to go back and edit some of it from what I was told but I can't prove that part. Even after that the USMC was still not proud of it but they let it slide.

Will Smith actually came to our unit for a couple of days trying to learn how to act like a Marine aviator...attitude, lingo. The phone in my office was ringing off the hook. Soldiers calling to confirm if he was really there. I got to meet him which was kinda cool. One thing I remember was one of our pilots in the ready room going over how Marines talk. I remember the pilot telling him in the Marines we call people in the Navy Squids. Will Smith started laughing and said "Squids, I like that!"...anyway, brings back some fun memories for me.

edit on 24-6-2016 by LifeMode because: info update

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

An inspirational look at our past and just how far we have come as a society, to all those who loved to serve and served to love
Thank U for your service..

FUNNY!

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

Great story and btw I am a squid ya..Jarhead..

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Before the movie the Black Knights deployed on the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier. Scary times. We had to respond to the Black Hawk Down incident. I was put on stand bye in case they needed more bodies for security but we were not needed. I remember the pilots saying there were no targets to bomb other than a cigarette factory. Complete over kill but we flew sorties as a show of force. I'm retired now but goes to show you in the military you just never know when your number will be called to serve in harms way. I was on a ship doing admin and thought I was free and clear...uh yeah no.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

A joking review, yes, but it could have gone a bit further and shown more than a double standard in the characters of the original movie. I've mentioned it a couple of times over the years and will do so again.

The main black character has a stripper for a girl friend and he is happy with that. And she has a fatherless son.

The typical white Anglo-Saxon (hero?) is a washed-up drunk that lives is a beatup Winnabago camper with three kids.

The two real heroes of the flick are a Jewish intellectual and his brilliant son.

Who gets credit for creating those winners and losers characters? Oh, simply look at the movie's credits.

top topics

join