It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU Opposes Latest Effort To Bar Those On Terrorism Watch Lists From Buying Guns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Buzz Feed

“The ACLU strongly urges you to vote against the Collins Amendment because it uses the error-prone and unfair watchlist system, along with vague and overbroad terms, as a predicate for a proceeding to deny a firearms permit.”

I don't really have too much to say on this except that this stupid watchlist needs to go along with the no fly list. Way too many political dissidents (peaceful) and journalists trying their damnedest to report the truth have ended up on those lists. It's not meant to be a weapon, but of course as warned... it's used as such. Law abiding citizens should not be denied their rights so arbitrarily and totally absent due process.
edit on 6/23/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

The ACLU, longtime opponent of individual gun rights, suddenly supports individual gun rights, but only for the kind of monsters that commit atrocities like Orlando.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I don't really have too much to say on this except that this stupid watchlist needs to go along with the no fly list.

Agreed.

And since past behavior is indicative of future behavior. I submit this for your reading pleasure.

The report also said that 75 percent of ATF prosecutions "were aimed at ordinary citizens who had neither criminal intent nor knowledge, but were enticed by agents into unknowing technical violations." I

You can bet your bottom dollar. There will be ABUSES with those lists.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

Orlando shooter wasn't on a watch-list.

The majority of those people on the watch-list can't buy guns in U.S. they are not U.S. citizens.

Deny ignorance.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   

When the anti-2A is against taking away rights via a watch list, you KNOW the watch list is a bad idea.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
So i did a quick search and found this . . .
number of americans on watch list

I thought it was much worse than that.

To quote a portion of the link . .

""" Feinstein explained that the Watch Lists are populated with “information derived from intelligence and law enforcement sources…” and are maintained by the FBI’s Terrorist Screening Center. She further revealed that largest list, the Terrorist Screening Database, contains over one-million records but less than 5,000 Americans included on that list. Or, as Sen. Feinstein repeatedly said, Americans make up less than one-half of one percent of the Terrorist Screening Database """

B. . . limited dumbphone options or i would quote correctly

edit on 23-6-2016 by Bspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor

Orlando shooter wasn't on a watch-list.

The majority of those people on the watch-list can't buy guns in U.S. they are not U.S. citizens.

Deny ignorance.

What I stated:

The ACLU, longtime opponent of individual gun rights, suddenly supports individual gun rights, but only for the kind of monsters that commit atrocities like Orlando.

I did not say Omar Mateen was on a watch list .

My issue is with the abject hypocrisy and treasonous behaviour of the ACLU, fighting not for the little guy.
Yep, Deny Ignorance

edit on 23-6-2016 by M5xaz because: c

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

For example?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

For example?

ACLU POSITION Given the reference to "a well regulated Militia" and "the security of a free State," the ACLU has long taken the position that the Second Amendment protects a collective right rather than an individual right.

www.aclu.org...

M5 has a point.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

For example?

Oh, don't know, how about ACLU blaming the Christian right and GOP for Orlando, despite the fact that the shooter called 911 and claimed the attack for ISIS

www.washingtonexaminer.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

How does this support your claim?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

because the subjective blaming is apparent within their statements
b
edit on 23-6-2016 by Bspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   

My claims:
1.ACLU hypocritical
- ACLU longtime against individual gun rights- Neo96 posted the link above - CLAIM PROVEN

2. ACLU treasonous
- Gave you the link in my previous post where ACLU absolves of blame ISIS, the very outfit Mateen pledged allegiance to
CLAIM PROVEN

Q.E.D.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Agreed.

Any list that is used to limit or remove rights and due process are in direct violation of the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

These lists are illegal.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Bspiracy

What's blaming got to do with supporting denial of rights?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

It's not sudden because it suddenly flits into your limited consciousness. They've been opposing the lists and the Patriot Act for, oh, about 15 years now.

And in general, I'd venture that it's still the lists they take issue with. And them taking up the fight against the list does not extrapolate into them opposing gun control.

In fact, if the lists were better...

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   

I had missed Neo's post.

ACLUs position, a position many hold by the way doesn't mean that they won't support current interpretations of the law.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I had missed Neo's post.

ACLUs position, a position many hold by the way doesn't mean that they won't support current interpretations of the law.

My issue is that the ACLU's legal positions makes 180 degree turns depending on which group they feel it affects, e.g.ACLU is hypocritical preaching one thing to one group (gun control) but preaching another (access to guns) to another.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Re-read my post

I wrote:

The ACLU, LONGTIME opponent of individual gun rights, suddenly supports individual gun rights, but only for the kind of monsters that commit atrocities like Orlando.

You responded:

It's not sudden because it suddenly flits into your limited consciousness. They've been opposing the lists and the Patriot Act for, oh, about 15 years now.

And in general, I'd venture that it's still the lists they take issue with. And them taking up the fight against the list does not extrapolate into them opposing gun control.

In fact, if the lists were better...

I clearly stated the ACLU is a longtime opponent, even if my statement did not register in your limited consciousness.

Again, I denounce the ACLU because they changed their position (guns) in a hypocritical fashion

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

That's not true at all. They are Constitutionalists. Many Constitutionalists interpret the 2nd as collective vs individual however SCOTUS did not, so law reflects individual... ACLU respects that and conducts themselves accordingly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join