It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Landlord of California church whose pastor celebrated Orlando massacre will not renew church's leas

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: odzeandennz

The guy needs to read the damned book again, if he thinks his nonsense is justified. Either that, or he is reading the wrong book.

Emphisis mine.

I think you should also be careful with what you say.

But agree that this Pastor is wrong on so many levels.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Yes I've personally witnessed them, and what i saw was an opportunity to proselytize in an accusatory and often disgusting manner, using the guilt of ones hard life and need of ones desperate situation is at it's core wrong. However, not ALL fall into this category and SOME actually do great altruistic work, I do not think it is the mission of a church however I think it should be the objective of our fellow man to help the down trodden, as otherwise our society pays deeply for this living blight that continues to grow. While religion leaves a bad taste in my mouth, some of it is ok and has lead to good things and even great things.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: research100

Rock and Roll, you speak out in such a way natural consequences will ensue, and while we are at it we should make all the churches pay taxes and stop the evil tithing scams seen on T.V that destroy already downtrodden peoples lives. Ok Ok I know i'm in a fantasy world but if I had it my way

I think some, but there are many non profit churches that have food pantries, clothe the poor, connect the poor and homeless with the proper county offices- There are a lot of churches/religious organizations who should have their tax exempt status revoked, though.

Just thought it was interesting (2014):

Teacher and atheist blogger Hemant Mehta finally found a home for his rejected $3,000 donation this week when the Niles Township Food Pantry agreed to accept the money. The donation was previously rejected by the Morton Grove Park District and the Morton Grove Library. Read more at www.christianpost.com... Read more at www.christianpost.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: gps777

I don't want my Christian friends thinking I hate them, because I don't, I just have certain issues with certain doctrines and texts, but I am aware that many Christians do not subscribe to such things, having said that I hope I did not offend you (my friend), or anyone else.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

a reply to: reldra

Yes I've personally witnessed them, and what i saw was an opportunity to proselytize in an accusatory and often disgusting manner, using the guilt of ones hard life and need of ones desperate situation is at it's core wrong. However, not ALL fall into this category and SOME actually do great altruistic work, I do not think it is the mission of a church however I think it should be the objective of our fellow man to help the down trodden, as otherwise our society pays deeply for this living blight that continues to grow. While religion leaves a bad taste in my mouth, some of it is ok and has lead to good things and even great things.

it is the duty of both. And stay away from 'pushy' churches.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

TechniXcality you I doubt could ever offend me, just because I or Christians believe in Christ and you and others don`t, does not mean at all that we don`t share much in common, Truth being one title for Christ and Truth has and always will eventually win.

I also have seen a lot of truth in your stances and words, we are not very far apart in belief.

Christians are not peoples enemies.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: reldra

a reply to: research100

Rock and Roll, you speak out in such a way natural consequences will ensue, and while we are at it we should make all the churches pay taxes and stop the evil tithing scams seen on T.V that destroy already downtrodden peoples lives. Ok Ok I know i'm in a fantasy world but if I had it my way

I think some, but there are many non profit churches that have food pantries, clothe the poor, connect the poor and homeless with the proper county offices- There are a lot of churches/religious organizations who should have their tax exempt status revoked, though.

Just thought it was interesting (2014):

Teacher and atheist blogger Hemant Mehta finally found a home for his rejected $3,000 donation this week when the Niles Township Food Pantry agreed to accept the money. The donation was previously rejected by the Morton Grove Park District and the Morary rton Grove Library. Read more at www.christianpost.com... Read more at www.christianpost.com...

Quotes messing up. The below is mine:

I am especially surprised that a library turned it down. Librarians are a tough and logical group, more than anyone would know. Not THAT library I guess.
edit on 21-6-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-6-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: Greggers

Interestingly that guy(Phelps) was excommunicated, supposedly because he had a change of heart.

I had heard he was excommunicated, but I figured it had something to do with greedy relatives trying to parse up his estate while he was on his death bed.

If he truly had a change of heart, do we have any idea what motivated it?

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: TheBulk

When is that mosques lease up for renewal?

Hopefully they get the same treatment.
obviously nothing will happen because everyone knows that anyone taking action against that Mosque will be labeled a hate Monger by the media. Left wingers are going to protect that mosque.
edit on 22-6-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Christianity can be boiled down to one commandment "Don't be an a55hole"

At least that's my understanding of it. Anything else is just, well, tosh.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

So you don't know when the lease is up and are just creating a straw man argument that has nothing to do with this. Gotcha!

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

Hard to get any %100 confirmed info but according to his grandson, Phelps wife spent time in intensive care..they where expecting her to pass..it was apparently very hard on him and he was possibly gifted some empathy in that time.
The church is of course not saying.
www.dailykos.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH
Any God that can turn a person into a "pillar of salt" for just turning their head, doesn't need man's assistance to punish the sinners.

Nor does it need its only begotten son to be created and die in order to spread peace and love, but you know how the story goes...or, went.

Yahweh acted like a spoiled brat who, when it didn't get its way, smote this and smote that and threatened this and plagued that. The entirety of the Old Testament, while interesting to read as a collection of stories, is laughable when viewed as supposed fact and an infallible "word of God," and quite honestly, it's very hard for me to take anyone seriously who believes it to be fact. I mean, who turns someone's wife into a "pillar of salt" because they looked back at a city that was getting destroyed? Was Yahweh embarrassed by its temper tantrum or something (don't correct me on that...I know the supposed 'why' behind it)? And on that same topic, what narcissistic god needs people to heed its every word and worship it, or else eternal damnation? That's not love, that's control.

Anyhoo, at least Jesus' teachings in the New Testament--which I hold to the same level as interesting stories--weren't based in the whole do-this-or-I-won't-be-your-friend-anymore, schoolyard-bully tactic. At least Jesus' words showed love and compassion and understanding, which are supposed to be vertebrae in the backbone of the Christian religion. Bottom line is that this "pastor" was wrong for saying what he said in the capacity of his job. He's not a Christian, and I feel sorry for the congregation who was following him, assuming that they trusted him to be more like Jesus and less like Yahweh.

The sad reality, though, is that his words may have resonated with some in the congregation, and that hatred may have spread, even if only to one or two people. That's how these ignorant ideas get a foothold.

I'm with TechniXcality on this one--I grew up in a VERY religious family, mom doing the whole choir thing, dad a deacon in the church and head of Awana (in which I participated), we would go to religious retreats at Hume Lake in California, I went on religious-based camping trips, etc. I'm not ignorant to the bible, and yet I can look at it constructively and see if for its good and its flaws. Being able to do so is actually very freeing--I recommend it to everyone at least once.

I know that my comments sound condescending, and that's not the intent, I just wanted to make my stance on things perfectly clear in as terse a way as possible.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join