It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philadelphia's throwback mayor-gangster Frank Rizzo on camera 1970's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   

I remember him as a fascist, but people loved this kind of "tough talk" and attitude back then.

The second half is as wild as the first. So many lessons embedded in an early example of video journalism; basically holding your ground intellectually and employing the style where the subject is given ample camera time to rant.

I don't think it needs any warning about language, but it's still weird in a PG-13 kind of way.

My person connection is that I attended a hippy-style or "Granola" private school next door, and "I'm told" the kids would egg the mayor's house on a routine basis.

People should find this both comical and frightening.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

OP we need a NSFW in the thread title, he uses salty language! Crumb bumb? MODS!?

When people say that police brutality is getting worse it makes me laugh. It's not, it's getting better. It's harder to cover up now, and it's spread so much faster and with so much more breadth. They used to spray people with firehoses, openly beat people, let the dogs go crazy and there was no way to really share the news, let alone pictures and video. Not trying to turn this into a cop apology thread, I just hope people see this and think DANG we actually have progressed.

That wouldn't have gone well today.

Can you give us more info on the mayor and why this was a scandal? Why was the media camped out? Links? I can find them, but they should be in the OP. No context to the video really except the video. Can you explain what's going on, a brief synopsis?

Also, and completely off-topic, what is your avatar? I was friends with a Japanese kid WAY back when I was 5 and he had a toy of whatever that is.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I've seen a comment from a British ex-cop saying in the 70's, if a cop blew the whistle on corruption, that cop's children would be at risk of violence from other cops. Progress has been made.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Good find. Fascinating video.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The TV crew was investigating why the former mayor had a "lush" security detail after he was out of office.

Fowwow some of the links at youtube for more zanyness.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
/Ultraman

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Frank Rizzo....isn't that the name of the dude on The Jerky Boys?

Funny video. That's the old school cronyism that I remember growing up with. LOL, crumb bum. Im going to start using that for my own LULZ

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Am I allowed to bump this thread?

www.philly.com...

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - An anti-police brutality group wants Philadelphia to remove a statue of Frank Rizzo, the blunt and charismatic officer-turned-mayor who was at once loved and loathed during his decades reigning over the city. The current mayor said he's open to a discussion on the location of the statue.

A city worker power-washes around the statue of former Mayor Frank L. Rizzo in front of the Municipal Services Building in 2013. Slideshow icon SLIDESHOW
Time to go, Rizzo? Some want Philly ex-mayor's statue gone
An online petition , launched this month by the Philly Coalition for REAL Justice, contends Rizzo was "an unrepentant racist who stopped at nothing to torture and hold Philadelphia's African-American community as his personal hostages."

posted on Oct, 23 2023 @ 08:40 PM
link   

now

top topics

join