It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Man Finds Nail in Skull Six Days Later

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Patrick Lawler went to his dentist eager to find a cure for the toothache he had. Much to his and the dentist surprise, the source of the pain was a 4 inch nail that was embedded into his skull. Lawler, a construction worker, had a nail gun backfire 6 days prior, unbeknown to him, the arrant nail had driven itself through his mouth.

story.news.yahoo.com
LITTLETON, Colo. - A dentist found the source of the toothache Patrick Lawler was complaining about on the roof of his mouth: a four-inch nail the construction worker had unknowingly embedded in his skull six days earlier.

A nail gun backfired on Lawler, 23, on Jan. 6 while working in Breckenridge, a ski resort town in the central Colorado mountains. The tool sent a nail into a piece of wood nearby, but Lawler didn't realize a second nail had shot through his mouth, said his sister, Lisa Metcalse.

Following the accident, Lawler had what he thought was a minor toothache and blurry vision. On Wednesday, after painkillers and ice didn't ease the pain, he went to a dental office where his wife, Katerina, works.

"We all are friends, so I thought the (dentists) were joking ... then the doctor came out and said 'There's really a nail,'" Katerina Lawler said. "Patrick just broke down. I mean, he had been eating ice cream to help the swelling."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Man this guy won the lottery here. Its not often that you embed something into your brain and not suffer some sort of neurological effects. But really, they guy had a toothache, why didn't he look into his mouth? I would have?

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
That guy must be as tough as nails

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures
That guy must be as tough as nails

Heh,heh.

That is one lucky SOB. I would be supprised if he didnt suffer somem kind of effects from an injury like that. The brains a funny thing.

[edit on 16-1-2005 by Janus]

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Not a happy thing for this guy at all, but I'm interested in what part of the skull was compromised. Did the nail go through the brain, and if so, what part of the brain......poor guy just became a scientific wonder and will probably spend a bit of time with doctors beyond his recovery process.....very interesting.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Humm...he was lucky....i am glad he is alive and well.....
But....how in the world can somebody get a nail into his/her mouth and 1 1/2 inches into his/her brain and not realize?..... i think the nail didn't do much damage for what it appears.... There wasn't much to damage in his brain for starters......

[edit on 17-1-2005 by Muaddib]

new topics

top topics

join