It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are galaxies being STRANGLED?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Something I was unaware of and possibly others too ?

There are two types of galaxies in the universe - roughly half are 'alive' galaxies which produce stars, and the other half are 'dead' ones which don't.

Makes sense that if there is no gas to condense then no star formation. However who would have thought that roughly half of the Galaxies are being starved or as the article says strangled.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Galaxies are being starved of the materials needed to produce new stars by a process dubbed ‘strangulation’, according to scientists.

Strangulation occurs when the supply of incoming gas is somehow stopped, and roughly half of the galaxies in the universe are said to be ‘dead’, with no stellar formation occurring.

But the culprit for removing the gas from galaxies and preventing new stars from being created remains a mystery.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Literally...maybe??? Like something out of a Sci Fi saga maybe it is literally darkness itself coming to consume the light of the universe. Something like that would be terrifying as it slowly creeps towards your system and none of the best scientists can figure out how to stop it.
edit on 16-6-2016 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Something I was unaware of and possibly others too ?

There are two types of galaxies in the universe - roughly half are 'alive' galaxies which produce stars, and the other half are 'dead' ones which don't.

Makes sense that if there is no gas to condense then no star formation. However who would have thought that roughly half of the Galaxies are being starved or as the article says strangled.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Galaxies are being starved of the materials needed to produce new stars by a process dubbed ‘strangulation’, according to scientists.

Strangulation occurs when the supply of incoming gas is somehow stopped, and roughly half of the galaxies in the universe are said to be ‘dead’, with no stellar formation occurring.

But the culprit for removing the gas from galaxies and preventing new stars from being created remains a mystery.

No probs, I'll make sure the missus is on the next galactic rocket to cure the lack of gas appropriation.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Could it be that the outward pressure of the galaxy due to the unknown effects of dark matter and dark energy exceeds the gravitational attraction?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Maybe somebody didn't pay the gas bill.
It can happen.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Scientists have no imagination. Even a swirl of water with colouring, will take all the colour. it is not indispensable. Matter is not infinite? and imagine a black hole, or whatever is the new claim to be the centre of a galaxy, is weak. matter will slowly start to fly away, into the dark. if we see light years into the past, then what about black holes? do we see nothing into the past? the future instead? if a star becomes a black hole, where do we see it? light, lack of light, the matter surrounding it is all we see.

damn I think I need a drink...

edit on 16-6-2016 by Parafitt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Parafitt

Scientists have no imagination

Lol seriously?

damn I think I need a drink...

Nothing wrong with that at all. But scientists do do stuff. I mean they do a lot of stuff, they imagine things we often can't even think of.

new topics

top topics

join