It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologist claims to have found 'Agamemnon's throne:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   

A Greek archaeologist believes he has found a fragment of the lost throne of the rulers of Mycenae, famous from ancient myth and the story of the Trojan War.
Christofilis Maggidis, who heads excavations at the site in southern Greece, said Tuesday that the chunk of worked limestone was found two years ago, in a streambed under the imposing citadel.

He told a press conference in Athens that the royal throne was among sections of the hilltop palace that collapsed during an earthquake around 1200 B.C.

Greek Culture Ministry officials have distanced themselves from the identification, citing a separate study that ruled the chunk to be part of a stone basin.

But Maggidis said the find was unmistakably made for sitting on, and would have been no use for holding liquids as it is made of porous stone.
archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.jp...

The 50 kilo slab of limestone claimed to be part of the king’s throne at Mycenae
[Credit: Christofilis Maggidis]

Ok I am cautiously excited as I loved the heroic age and keeping my fingers crossed that the find is real and not misidentified especially when the artifact is not complete, but I will keep tabs on this story for further developments, and remember Troy and it's war was once just legend, so you never know.
edit on 16-6-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   
We have a lot of limestone here, and its quite high quality. Limestone, in my opinion, is very beautiful and wholly unfit for a throne. With how legendary the marble in that region is, i find it unbelievable that they wouldn't have used marble.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Good points and worth looking into, and for a major civilization like Mycenae it would be weird if they went with rough limestone.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I love it when someone makes a discovery like this. Whether it is a throne piece or not, it's still a very ancient piece of history that has been revealed. We speak of history, but to find something this old and touch it...man, that must be an amazing feeling!

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Looks like a massive monolith you could build on rather than a seat.
There are some links between Agamemnon and Jupiter so I was expecting something more like the "Curule seat".
Sit here
A much more temporary furniture assignment.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

garden benches, etc, might be a good option for it. I agree that limestone may be too porous to be a good water receptacle. THen again...we use it for bird baths and what not. The seepage won't outpace evaporation in this climate. Even in the shade.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Agamemnon was in the Illiad the Troy era was either the 11th or 12th century.
I don't think they started using marble for architecture and statues until several centuries later.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

The "Curule seat" seems to show up thematically in art world resonance through many different periods.

Da Vinci made several drawings and paintings before the French Renaissance which were well anchored with math and logic.
Marcel Duchamp continued the theme in one of his famous works.
Edgar Allen Poe's contribution was written close to the trunk and clearly inspired by the "Curule seat" with a reference dating back to the Egyptian desert.

Then there are more abstract esoteric art works which resonate with the theme but may or may not have any direct relevance. Paintings by Van Gogh, Creti, Salvador Dali and even the song by "Cliff" Richards.

edit on 16-6-2016 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Unless he finds other pieces, I'd go along with the consensus that "it's not the throne."

Google shows several genuine Greek thrones carved in stone, so it IS plausible. But a leap from "a possible seat/throne" to Agamemnon is not supported without inscriptions and other such things.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
But Maggidis said the find was unmistakably made for sitting on, and would have been no use for holding liquids as it is made of porous stone.

You know he's probably right, I could only find hundreds of porous stone bowls on google

/sarcasm

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Interesting! Always been interested in anything related to Troy, and might even be a connection there. As for it being legend, didn't someone locate Troy some years back? I thought they had.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I have a rock just like that in my turtle aquarium

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

As for it being legend, didn't someone locate Troy some years back? I thought they had.

39°57′27″N 26°14′20″E

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Marduk

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

As for it being legend, didn't someone locate Troy some years back? I thought they had.

39°57′27″N 26°14′20″E

Nice, wasn't expecting coordinates!!

Much obliged.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

Agamemnon was in the Illiad the Troy era was either the 11th or 12th century.

BC. I figure you know that and just missed it out, but for those that don't, its 12th/13th century BC.

new topics

top topics

join