It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh, The Orlando Killer Didn't Use An AR-15 Rifle

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

it was a high velocity round, which is devastating and not a "civilian" round

Pretty sure I can buy pretty much any kind of round short of depleted uranium.....

Curious where he got the dough for it. A security guard isn't exactly rolling in it, and this is an $1800 gun.
Add in the Glock, about another $500. Then another $40 for each of the 12 or so clips...

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
So this what what he used?

Since the Orlando massacre early Sunday morning, pro-gun pundits have come out in force to argue that the weapon used in the attack is not an assault rifle. The gun lobby prefers to call these weapons "modern sporting rifles," euphemistic ammo it can fire in an ongoing semantic debate. But make no mistake: What the Orlando attacker used was a weapon of war. It was designed to kill as many people as possible, as quickly as possible. Witness this harrowing audio captured by a bystander outside the Pulse nightclub in which Omar Mateen fires 24 shots in 9 seconds. According to a federal law enforcement official, the rifle Mateen used to murder and maim more than 100 people was a Sig Sauer MCX. Mateen legally purchased the weapon, similar to an AR-15, on June 4 in Port St. Lucie, Florida, near where he lived. (He legally purchased a Glock 17 handgun the following day, which he also carried during the attack.)

Sig Sauer bills the MCX as "an innovative weapon system built around a battle-proven core." The company says it "stands as the first rifle to be silenced from the ground up. It also accepts a broad array of accessories, enabling you to build a complete weapon system for any scenario or environment." It has a military-spec trigger and a magazine capacity of 30 rounds. According to the book Guns of Special Forces 2001-2015, the MCX is known in military circles as the "Black Mamba" and was developed at the request of the US Army's special operations forces.

Although the legal civilian version of the gun fires on semi-automatic, it can be highly lethal. Indeed, like many of his recent predecessors, Mateen was able to unleash a devastating barrage of gunfire. The law enforcement official declined to comment on the total number of rounds fired in the attack. But, he said, it was "obviously a lot." [Source to Cast Your Derision Upon]

But don't call it assault because...well it wasn't used to murder anyone or anything.
edit on 6/16/2016 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

True, but like the AR-15, it isn't an "assault rifle", as it doesn't have the ability to change fire modes. It doesn't have an automatic or burst setting, it's semi-automatic...meaning as fast as you pull the trigger.

I don't have problems with anyone calling it an assault weapon. Any object used to attack another person is an assault weapon, whether it is a knife, an axe, words, or a gun.

Being deceitful on the actual capabilities of the weapon, I think is the bigger problem.

I know this guy tried to kill as many people as he could, but does anyone know how many people he actually shot? Don't fry a gasket. I honestly believe he is responsible for the death and injury of everyone that was injured, and or died, but since there is so much riding on the amount of damage his weapon had the potential to inflict. I would think that they would want to know how many people he actually shot.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest

Well, not really. As it turns out, there are literally dozens of 'hunting' rifle calibers out there that will produce velocities comparable to or exceeding that of the.223/5.56 with off-the-shelf commercial ammunition AND they usually do it with larger, heavier bullets.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Looks a lot nicer than the standard AR-15. I don't like that it only has 1 rail though. I'd actually never heard of this weapon. I've always thought of Sig as a handgun company. It does look very versatile and reliable. Almost reminds me of the Remington ACR. I think I'd prefer the ACR though.

I'm fairly liberal but this gun control stuff needs to stop, just like the anti abortion thing needs to stop. They're both political non-starters and are both a violation of personal freedoms.(I don't want to get in a pro life what about the unborn child debate right now)

The question is however, why? Why does the US have SO many mass shootings? I've heard on the radio the other day that we've had over 1000 this year alone!(4 dead minus the shooter) What is the societal and cultural root cause of this? If we can't define and treat that this will never stop. Gun control or not. I personally believe that Orlando as well as San Bernardino were false flags. Not they didn't happen but rather there was a hidden hand behind the scenes. As to the whole crisis actor thing, why would they need them? I highly doubt they any compunction about killing people to further an agenda!

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: s3cz0ne

Mass shootings is because of mass mental sickness.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

clips...

the correct term is magazine.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Why are people getting hung up on the Model.? From a few yards away most people couldn't tell what make it is. myself included. I have no interest in Guns.

The bottom line is be it a AR15 or a Sig Sauer MCX carbine, they both are capable of killing large amounts of people in a short space of time.

Take being clubbed to death with a guitar for instance, Doesn't matter if it's a Gibson Les Paul of a Fender Precision bass, both entirely different instruments, but you're still dead.

Interesting comparison to make.

What is a "short amount of time"? Given my overall size and basic athletic background, the amount of damage I could do in a crowded club with a spiked ball bat or machete would likely not be too far from this. Sure, maybe not 50 dead....but surviving a machete attack doesn't sound a whole lot better than not surviving a gun attack.

So back to your "clubbed to death with a guitar" example....is that really all that much better a way to exit this world than a single gunshot wound? If given my options, I'd likely rank "clubbed to death with a blunt instrument" just above "lit on fire". Neither really sounds pleasant.

And at the end of the day, that seems to be the option. Murder rates really don't vary that much from country to country in "the west". Ours is a bit higher along our southern states, where we have a border that is unprotected. But if you factor that in, you are pretty much at the same risk here as in the rest of the "free world". The difference: how long will you lay and bleed/suffer before you die.

Full disclosure here: im a gun owner that would own my guns even if they are made illegal. So take that for what you will.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Mass shootings is because of mass mental sickness.

Yeah I get that... but why?!? I really don't think that Chris Murphy is trying to come and take everyone's guns. I think that HE FEELS he's doing the right thing. I honestly don't blame people for thinking that way at this point. It needs to end. Unfortunately people don't see many of these shooters as coerced and provoked patsies. What the hell is causing all of this mental illness in our society. The media? Movies? Video games? Poor me syndrome?
edit on 18-6-2016 by s3cz0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: vor78

originally posted by: syrinx high priest

Well, not really. As it turns out, there are literally dozens of 'hunting' rifle calibers out there that will produce velocities comparable to or exceeding that of the.223/5.56 with off-the-shelf commercial ammunition AND they usually do it with larger, heavier bullets.

Yeah but not too many people want an AR-10 in .308/7.62 NATO nowadays! 😉

(And yes yes I know of the other calibers 300blk, Beowulf, Grendel and on and on, this reply was just for fun)

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Possibly over medication.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Possibly over medication.

Yeah maybe... I haven't looked at the stats for the rest of the Western world. Hell, the Nazis added fluoride to the water in their camps to make people more docile. Or so I've read. Feels like this is more than meds, I feel like that is a part of it but there seems like there are other components.

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I heard he was dual wielding grenade launchers that he bought from walmart

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop

There is nothing wrong with adapting and updating the law, changing it to suit the times.

Dear god how horrible for mankind to evolve eh? /s

Not the best term for this situation. 'Evolving' typically means to change and adapt over time to environmental situations. In this case, the technology has evolved over time to give mankind more efficient and dependable weaponry to improve survival.

What liberals are suggesting is closer to Domestication, which involves external guidance towards a more 'preferred' state of being... and also tends to make the target more docile and easier to manipulate. For the greater good.

Screw that.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   

What the hell is causing all of this mental illness in our society.

I have thought about this a lot. IMO it is stress from living in our maladjusted society/civilization. Human beings are not designed to live like we do in our present day world. Today we are stressed from every direction. The concept of family and marriage has disintegrated. The world today is filled with mental and physical pollution. 100 years ago people ate fresh food from local farms even in the large cities. The food we eat now is designed to look good not taste good and it is not nearly as healthy for you as it was. The last two generations have been guinea pigs either by design or choice in every facet of their life like no other time that I know of in human history. What we think, see, hear, breath, drink and eat puts heavy stress on or bodies and minds. All the while there are more and more of us being created every minute and this causes more competition for what is available such as living space and employment etc. Most of us are constantly striving for more,more, and more of whatever we think it is that we need more of ad infinitum.
Some can take all this stress in stride and keep moving forward no matter what and some cannot. Mental health issues can exacerbate the problem for the ones who cannot handle the stress. As far as guns. They are a tool like any other tool. Tools have helped mankind through the ages and guns are no different. The problem is the emotional stability of the one using that particular tool. There is no law on the books or that can be passed that will make someone sane. You asked I replied with my honest opinion.
edit on 19-6-2016 by flyonthewall because: clarification

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: flyonthewall

I feel like I'd be so much happier living in the wilderness on a small homestead. It's too bad the Russia is only giving 1 hectare freely right now but it's only for Russian citizens. Too bad it's not more like 10-40 hectares. From what I've seen Primorye in the far east looks beautiful. Since it shares most of its border with China and a tiny bit with north Korea it has a temperate climate so I wouldn't freeze to death! The tigers are kinda freaky though.

Oh well I can always dream. Maybe if even in a small way, we as individuals, can get back to nature we would all healthier mentally.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join