It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Switzerland's voters rejects basic income plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Voters in Switzerland have rejected a referendum that would have guaranteed a basic income for everybody.

Lots of controversy surround this prior to the vote.

Had it passed, all adults and children would have received a check every month !!

Wonder what happened to this?

If it was so great, why did most voters say "no" ?

Switzerland's voters rejects basic income plan

Swiss voters have overwhelmingly rejected a proposal to introduce a guaranteed basic income for all.

Final results from Sunday's referendum showed that nearly 77% opposed the plan, with only 23% backing it.

The proposal had called for adults to be paid an unconditional monthly income, whether they worked or not.

The supporters camp had suggested a monthly income of 2,500 Swiss francs (£1,755; $2,555) for adults and also SFr625 for each child.

The amounts reflected the high cost of living in Switzerland. It is not clear how the plan would have affected people on higher salaries.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Good for them.

Guess they didn't like the idea of higher taxes and communism and nanny state!

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
It seems the Swiss are not suicidal. Not to mention it said on the other thread that the Swiss government was against the plan. We only got Obamacare because the government wanted it.

How much difference does it make when the government does not want a thing to be passed?

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I love the swiss model.

Basically if they get 50,000 people to sign a petition on a given issue of government then it goes to a public vote.

Now some would perhaps argue that while this is all very democratic it could lead to some crazy stuff getting passed Switzerland is still one of the best countries to live in in the world.

I think this just proves that the political elite need to be removed and the power handed back to the people

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Oh my lord! That means we would essentially have had to vote on whether or not the government would have to start building the Death Star over here.

I am trying to remember all of Obama's silly petitions that he was supposed to answer for. Now imagine those going to public vote.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

They didn't want a horde of immigrants coming in looking for a free check and destroying their country. It would have bankrupted the government.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasyeti

They didn't want a horde of immigrants coming in looking for a free check and destroying their country. It would have bankrupted the government.

Is they why they are also part of Shengen....?

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
I love the swiss model.

I think this just proves that the political elite need to be removed and the power handed back to the people

I agree whole heartedly

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Sensible people, the Swiss! Glad they voted this down. Worked with a fellow for some years who was from Switzerland, and held duel citizenship. Great guy. and very proud of both the country of his birth and the one in which he chose to live.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Seems as though logic and reason still exists to the Swiss

get rid of big government and let the people rule themselves

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Guess what, the highest values are placed on very singular objects? Mona Lisa for instance, however Leonardo Da Vinci has no need for it now, one of his favourite paintings.

I think this idea is..or rather now was..was a great idea, but not something from idealism, but more a realistic view of so many disenfranchised people from the moment they are born, in this day and age. That doesn't mean that someone can overcome all that, pretty much like Ali, R.I.P. was able to achieve despite everything, but that is beyond just social, and in the best way. Money isn't everything, can be very devisive at the end of the day.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 04:19 AM
link   

In my opinion it was a wrong proposition to begin with. Of course everyone was scared about a possible migration infulx if it got passed but it should be proposed for citizens only, that have lived and worked in Switzerland for at least 10 years which is a minimum to get their citizenship anyway.

Even children born in Switzerland would have to live there and go to school for at least 10 years, albeit getting citizenship upon birth, to qualify for a right to basic income. So complete integration before any rights for immigrants. Same for locals, but since they are natives and are most likely already qualified by working and living there, they`d have a right to apply instantly.

Another aspect is the ones who earned the right and want to leave the country to accomodate themselves to a better living elsewhere due to lower standards. In this case, after a year of not living in home country, the right to basic income automatically terminates itself and you have to appeal again, live and work for at least 3 years in the country. Cheaters, those registered living in the country while they are living abroad would need to be punished severly by taking them away any right to reappeal again.

I`m saying this because this is the only version of the proposed system that would work and boost the nation`s economy. Otherwise they`d be just throwing away the money. One thing to know for the Americans here is that doing this, passing this policy, would negate all the social transfers and everything we Europeans (mostly) take for granted would be gone, no more pension, universal health care, free education....you get the idea...but you`d get a basic income to cover for such costs as well as basic living.

I think this is actually a great idea that would stimulate people in doing what they enjoy doing and a happy person is the most creative and productive worker. A new Renaissance era if you like. Shame it got rejected but I can understand why. It needs to be done right or any country could go bankrupt should they pass such a great, but flawed, bill.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   
It's an interesting idea. Diverting welfare budgets into a universal living wage. There is enough money sloshing around the system to do it, but it would need to be very carefully implemented.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
They'll be wanting to go back to this very soon as automation is replacing jobs and people want to live.

However rates need to be well above the poverty level and prices controlled, OR Venus Project and do away with scarcity and overlords.
edit on 6-6-2016 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Well, I suppose that they chose not to vote out innovation and work ethic in future generations.

Good for them.

new topics

top topics

join