It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue Angel down in Smyrna TN,

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

From your link!👍🏽
edit on 6 2 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Both the Thunderbirds aircraft and the Blue Angels aircraft were solos. It was #6 in Colorado, and they just said it was solo practice when the crash occurred in Tennessee.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Wow. Same numbered jet in both crashes. That's crazy.
edit on 2-6-2016 by Popeye1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-6-2016 by Popeye1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That extreme nose down is curious to me. Sounds like something pretty catastrophic, no? I mean obviously it was something significant but I mean as opposed to a flame out, bird strike, etc. Stuck control surface or something?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This happened right down the street from where I live and heard from friends saying he sacrificed his life in order to fly the plane where he wouldn't crash into a residential area.

I have also heard friends say the plane blew up before it hit the ground. So many locals are mourning... its so sad! The planes were training for the show that is supposed to still take place however news is still developing. They are having a news conference in about 15 minutes so should know more.

link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

They were saying on the news stream that a witness said the plane was coming up from a loop, but it appeared it couldn't get the lift to pull up when it went down.

Right now, standing by for the news conference in 15 minutes.

edit on 2-6-2016 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

link   

Either a control problem, or he knew he was going down, saw the field and dove into it to prevent a disaster.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Ah okay. I had it in my head that it went from level flight to extreme nose down. No idea why, just filling in blanks with my own ideas.

@ Z - that would make sense too of course. I'm not where I'm able to look at the geography of the area much so your details are helping. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

As usual the witnesses are conflicting.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

That scenario is also possible if the plane is somewhat close to the ground and hits a thermal, the plane can lose lift and drop like a rock. We should hear more in the news conference in a few minutes.

edit on 2-6-2016 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Channel 4 News has been speculating it was caused from weather conditions like maybe from turbulence.

Also a woman called in saying she saw it from her office window whereas the plane came out of a stunt and blew up right in front of her window.

Just sad!

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yea. The first thing I saw on it was that the crash occurred "after takeoff." No mention of any aerobatic maneuver, which is why I was thinking a control surface problem or something completely catostrophic during or following takeoff. Hopefully the news conference clears it up. At least somewhat.

Sad news either way. Can still recall every performance by them I've ever seen. Genuinely jaw dropping flying, bested only by CAS delivery in my book. Though seeing CAS delivered is impressive for entirely different, much more personal reasons.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
That's crazy that one from the Blue Angels and one from the Thunderbirds crashed on the same day (I know I'm echoing). Very sad that one lost his life. It may seem out of character but there's something about watching fighter jets that humbles you and gives you goosebumps.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

They had apparently just started the practice show when it happened.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
News conference delayed for about 15-20 minutes. I'm guessing probably at least 30.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The Navy officially confirmed the fatality was the pilot.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
They just showed a video from a witness of the plane just before it went down. Looks like two of them were performing this maneuver:

And one of them lost control or had a malfunction and went down. From my understanding, the above maneuver is controlled by the computer and not by the pilot.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
That's crazy that one from the Blue Angels and one from the Thunderbirds crashed on the same day (I know I'm echoing). Very sad that one lost his life. It may seem out of character but there's something about watching fighter jets that humbles you and gives you goosebumps.

Both were the number 6th plane as well.

www.airforcetimes.com...

The pilot of the No. 6 jet, Maj. Alex Turner, is being medically evaluated after he ejected safely, Air Force officials said during a press conference. He joined the team in October 2015, officials said. The No. 6 jet is one of the solo pilot aircraft

www.navytimes.com...

An initial Navy incident report says the Blue Angels jet crashed just after takeoff in a residential area and the pilot is not believed to have ejected. The report identifies it as Blue Angels plane No. 6. There are no reports of any civilians injured or homes damaged.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

According to the official Navy release he had just taken off. Interesting. The crash was 2 miles from the end of the runway.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

They don't need to be giving an aircraft number yet. The team has a policy of waiting for 24 hours for a reason.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join