It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“American Sniper” Chris Kyle Distorted His Military Record, Documents Show

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Not necessarily,
I don't have the citations for half my medals and my family has none of them or ever even seen the citations. And in the event of my death, my family wouldn't know what they were looking for if required to present them to anyone.

No,
All medals do not have serial numbers engraved on them.
Edit: I just checked, not one of my medals has a serial number.

Hell, last year the promotion board called me up to clarify a Non-Judicial Punishment I received in boot camp because there aren't any records of it other than it occurred.
edit on 31-5-2016 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Yeah... I also tend to assume one lie means lots more lies.

Thanks though.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

The record that you were pointed toward, is the last word on what an individual has, or has not done. Since the record referred to would seem to suggest that Kyle, love him or hate him, has NOT lied about his commendations and awards, I fail to see which particular lies you are referring to.

Cheers by the way! Good to see you! I haven't been around the last week, so it's nice to get back into the swing of things!

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

The whole Jesse Ventura thing was the lie. Good to see you too.
edit on 5/31/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
One of the last medals I got on active duty, the paper work never caught up with me, I am sure its been shredded... but it did get updated in the computer and I have a copy of that.

It is not uncommon for medals to be awarded a year or more later (in the USAF), you could PCS and then seperate in that time frame.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Ah yes, the Jesse Ventura incident. I had forgotten that debacle.

Of course, there is rot. There always is. However, where records of service are concerned, it would appear that there is an iron clad answer to be had.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
not me. i don't know about when you where discharged, but when i was, i had to go to admin and spend about a hour or so going over the DD214 and other paper work. found a couple of things that were wrong.

Same here. I've got documentation for an MSM that's not in my records ... my own fault. The stuff that went in the shredder went in there with the understanding it would never be properly documented. Makes for good war stories.

I almost posted a rant here once about medals. They don't mean much to anyone except the recipient (sometimes their sycophants) ... unless someone lost their certificate in a move, got coffee spilled all over it, etc. Then there's a lot of bashing to be expected. In my day-to-day life I don't even address the subject.

I once saw a dude's cert get ruined inside of a frame ... by mold. You can't replace those the same way you can print out a copy of the actual orders. And back in my day, the only orders that mattered belonged to the last time you were presented with an award. There was an accounting (can't remember if it was only for the type being presented) of awards that was specific to 'subsequent' awards or oak leaf clusters. The number was tallied for the orders ... and what it said on the orders was what was gospel. If you had seven awards of the same medal that's pretty much what it said on the documentation.

I have to agree with what Schuyler (and you pretty much confirmed) said in regards to the DD 214. If that's what's printed there, that's the Official Story. Sometimes mistakes get by.

edit on 3152016 by Snarl because: ETA for WatchItBurn:

All medals do not have serial numbers engraved on them.
Edit: I just checked, not one of my medals has a serial number.

You're correct. However, if the medals are reissued (I forget what office is responsible for that), all the new medals will come with your name engraved on them. This is a service any former service member can request ... anytime ... forever.

edit on 3152016 by Snarl because: Cool trivia.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Which I can accept.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
He was a great warrior, always has my respect and gratitude.

I also learned that his discharge papers had a discrepancy in them saying he had more awards than he did, and if that's not true, so what, the man did what 99% of you on this website including me, could never achieve. much love and respect for him and his family.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I requested the thread be removed.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Who really knows?

Remember Jessica Lynch?

Remember Pat Tillman?

Each one embellished in unique ways. It isn't like Chris Kyle is around to dispute anything.

To make a Stalinesque quote... The person who lived the history means nothing. The person who writes history means everything.

Being a vet myself, caveat being I was peacetime but still 11 Bang Bang. I would have been honored to have him at my back.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
“American Sniper” Chris Kyle Distorted His Military Record, Documents Show

Coward sniper is also a liar!
Gee, I'm so surprised...

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ware2010
the man did what 99% of you on this website including me, could never achieve

Yeah, murder people from a safe distance...
How impressive!
Real brave!
Hero!
Faugh!

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: schuyler

The Naval records are linked as well.

I understand that. Did you understand what I said? Have you ever been in the service? Do you have a DD214? Do you understand that it is an extremely important document? It is a legal record of your service. You put it in a safe or safe deposit box and keep it your entire life. When my father died at 87 one of the only old papers he had was his DD214 from World War Two.

The DD214 reflects what Kyle said. Navy Records does not. Kyle DID NOT write his own DD214. Nobody ever does. You NEVER SEE your DD214 until you are discharged. Do you get that part? You NEVER SEE your DD214 until you leave the service.

Kyle and the DD214 AGREE. Navy Records does not. Kyle claimed to have gotten X medals and his DD214 REFLECTS that he got those X medals. Even though he never saw his DD214 until he was released from service, it agrees with what he said.

Are you beginning to get the picture here?

Yes if his DD214 says he has tworked silver stars he has two silver stars. That document is the final document detailing your career. The other thing not all medals can be awarded at ceremonies meaning what his friends believe may not be the case. Having received two awards myself off the record so to speak it shows on my DD 214 but no public award was given just me and a luitenant commander.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
it just proves that killing a lot of people doesn`t make you honorable or truthful.my point is that truth,honor and integrity aren`t things that can be bestowed on a person based on their deeds,they are either a part of your character or they aren`t.
edit on 31-5-2016 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The lies about the medals are by far the least egregious of his fibs. Lying about killing Americans during Katrina or about killing 'carjackers' in some backwoods of Texas or about his alleged fight with Ventura show he had some underlying psychological issues.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
The lies about the medals are by far the least egregious of his fibs. Lying about killing Americans during Katrina or about killing 'carjackers' in some backwoods of Texas or about his alleged fight with Ventura show he had some underlying psychological issues.

I have no doubt he did you can't do that kind of work and not be effected. Some crumble with the weight others create excuses for their actions. Very few come out of that better that is where the true task is. He was still looking for his path and he thought he found it helping others. Above all us that was admirable his heart and soul was in the right place shame that search cost him his life.
edit on 5/31/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss
murder people who were trying to kill U.S. Marines, and I suppose you have never fired a weapon? because "murdering people from a distance" with a rifle, is impressive, and he was obviously braver than you, and he is a hero, a REAL hero.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

We know he lied now.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Show me a Hero and I will write you a tragedy,

F.Scott Fitzgerald

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join