It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faster internet than cable and dsl!!!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
VDSL (very high bit-rate DSL) The speed of this net service is incredible! 52 megabites per second
!!!!! Thats like 5 or 6 times faster than cable net and ADSL...... It is gunna be the next big thing for sure! computer.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
wow thats 3 gig a minute!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
yeah i know isn't that pimp! Gosh i can't even imagine how much games i could dl from Morpheus!

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
sorry no its not i thought megabytes rather than bits i keep doing this

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
grrr lol well w/e mistakes happen *cough* including u *cough* jk

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bengy
52 megabites per second
!!!!!

i think you made this error as well just check the link you provided

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
no i didn't (VDSL provides an incredible amount of bandwidth, with speeds up to about 52 megabits per second) I think u need glasses or a bigger brain...

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
read the above quote u typed megabites rather than megabits i thought u mis-spelt it

EDIT:for spelling

[edit on 15-1-2005 by klain]

EDIT:second re-spell

[edit on 15-1-2005 by klain]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
o yeh and your nukes broken
bitch slap back at you

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
how is my nuke broken?!?!?!?!??!
:bash:

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
i dont think your nuke loops forever

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
It does to loop for ever!!!! :bash:

Gosh ur a flippin' idiot

Tina u fat lard come get ur food!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   
does any one know where one could get such a connection in Aust

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
if your reffering to vdsl then it would be costly its even costly for businesses adn i cant see this coming out for home use for quite some time yet sorry :'(

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Get Optimum online while you wait. About $50 a month, advertised speed is 10 mbps and actual is around 95.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
Get Optimum online

where can you get that ive never heard of it

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
prophetmike has it. I first learned about it myself back in this thread. Unfortunately it's not available in my area.

Check out their website if you're interested in their availability.

Edit: Just checked. It's only available in the US, so if you really are in Australia then you can't get it.

But the fastest internet connection possible is to have your own server. intrepid has access to a gov't server at work. And this is the government we're talking about, and they need to have everything working just their way, so you can probably figure out it's really really fast. Except he doesn't have access to flash because they think it will take them away from their work. Yeah, and like downloading 20 gigs of online movies isn't going to do that!

[edit on 1/24/2005 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Hrm, T3-level speeds at home, what exactly would be the point. Wouldnt say a 5/1 cable connection satiate most needs for fast downloads? Short of streaming movies I cant see the need for something with the capabilits of VDSL. Also one should bear in mind the advertised speed and the actual speed differ greatly. My current DSL package is marketed as 384/128k but in reality its 40kb/s downstream and about 15kb/s upstream, far far less than the adverstised speed, so you wouldnt get a litteral 52mb down but rather in the ballpark of 5.5mb/s downstream provided you were connected to someone with a massive upstream ablility like a T3 or Optical Carrier.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
wow i didn't understand a word that just came out of ur keyboard..... speak english....

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I'll try to break it down with less geeky terms. You have a Advertised speed, such as 52Mb/s (Megabits/second) and a true speed you have due to all kinds of technical conditions such as quality of the phone line or wires in the lines, etc. My home DSL connection is advertised as being capable of 384Kb/s (Kilobits/second) but after giving it some speed tests it actually downloads at about 40Kb/s. Thats about 1/10th the advertised speed. Basically its a rule of thumb that you never get the advertised speed but about 1/10th the speed, so the 52Mb/s VDSL will actually be able to download at about 5.5Mb/s; alot less than its advertised speed. It might seem like a ripoff, but its a purely technical issue that most high-speed customers dont know or care about, but probably should before being wooed by promises of amazingly fast speeds.

Hope I was able to make it a bit easier to understand.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join