It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left wing or Right wing? DNC or GOP? Trump or Clinton.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
We all have read one person or another state that someone or something is Right Wing or Left Wing, adding emphasis of what ever spin they desire.
There are many examples from political editorials, involving Trump or Clinton, GOP or DNC. Many times, the inappropriate connotation is erroneous. To clear up these ambiguities, here is a brief synopsis of where these terms evolved, ending with a brief editorial and question.
Politicians who met during the French Revolution of 1789 at the National Assembly, began to organize themselves into two groups. Those who supported the King of France, and those who supported Revolution. As The President of the France National Assembly viewed these two separate groups from his podium, supporters of the king, were to the president's right, and supporters of the revolution to his left. Then in 1791 The National Assembly was changed and the new collective was called The Legislative Assembly, comprising entirely new members. However the divisions continued. "Innovators" sat on the left, "moderates" gathered in the center, while the "conscientious defenders of the constitution" found themselves sitting on the right. The coup d'état of June 2 1793, resulted in the right side of the assembly being deserted. The French Restoration of 1814–1815, again formed political clubs. The "constitutionals" sat in the center while independents sat on the left. The majority ultraroyalists chose to sit on the right. The terms extreme right and extreme left, as well a center-right and center-left, came to be used to describe the nuances of ideology of different sections of the assembly. Enter the U.K. The British Parliament began debating their entrance into the Spanish Civil War, 1936 to 1939 . It was at this time that the terms 'Right' and 'Left' came into common use. The book, ” The Web of Government” (1947), Sociologist Robert Maclver states,” The right is always the party sector associated with the interests of the upper or dominant classes, the left sector expressive of the lower economic or social classes, and the center that of the middle classes. Historically this criterion seems acceptable. The conservative right has defended entrenched prerogatives, privileges and powers; the left has attacked them. The right has been more favorable to the aristocratic position, to the hierarchy of birth or of wealth; the left has fought for the equalization of advantage or of opportunity, for the claims of the less advantaged. Defense and attack have met, under democratic conditions, not in the name of class but in the name of principle; but the opposing principles have broadly corresponded to the interests of the different classes.”
Here in the U.S.A., left and right seem to have become blurred. David Boaz, a Libertarian writer, believes that the terms left and right are used to spin a particular point of view rather than as simple descriptors. “The "left" typically emphasizing their support for working people and accusing the right of supporting the interests of the upper class, and those on the "right" usually emphasizing their support for individualism and accusing the Left of supporting collectivism.” Has this now given rise to Transgenderism, Black Lives Matter, or Women’s Rights? Boaz asserts that arguments about the way the words should be used often displaces arguments about policy by raising emotional prejudice against a preconceived notion of what the terms mean.

www.probe.org...

Ruypers, John. Canadian and world politics. Canada: Emond Montgomery Publications Limited, 2005. ISBN 1-55239-097-7

David Boaz, The Politics of Freedom: Taking on The Left, the Right, and Threats to our Liberties, Cato Institute, 2008, ISBN 978-1-933995-14-4

mentalfloss.com...

www.politicalcompass.org...

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Clip the wings...both left and right...and get real...NO TRUMP.
Cheers

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JaMeDoIt

or, Trump 2016, Hillary for prison 2016! Trump will win, his dirt is still much cleaner than Hillary.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JaMeDoIt
Clip the wings...both left and right...and get real...NO TRUMP.
Cheers

Ironic statement. The only candidate hated by both left and right and you dump on him. REBOOT.....

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Dude! Double space between your paragraphs.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I was at work today receiving a shipment when the driver, whom I've never spoken to about politics, fealt it necessary to call trump an idiot. Are you tracking with what I just said?

A guy who drives a truck for a living thinks that a guy who runs multi million dollar companies is an idiot. How can that be true? If he's an idiot then no one would do business with him. You know what Trump isn't doing? Driving around someone else's crap for 20$ an hour.

I didn't feel like hearing any more of this guy parroting what he hears on lefty radio while he drives so I told him I'm not into federal politics. The horror on his face was priceless. He looked down his nose and said that I was, how did he put it? Slow?

I gave that a moment then said, the day after the election your going to wake up, go to work and nothing in your life will change. Regardless of who wins. Your too small in a world of 7 billion to make a significant difference.

He scoffed then left. I didn't make a friend but I did stop someone stupid from thinking that I was going to listen to any dumb thing that falls out of his head.

Then I got back to work. Because we're at work, people. Keep the topic to work and spew your politics on the web like the rest of us broke, average citizens just trying to avoid your stupidity.

I know this thread already died but it was the most recent hate on politics thread.

The world keeps spinning. But that only maters to those on the outside.
edit on 05Thu, 26 May 2016 20:13:23 -0500820165America/Chicago by Mrgone because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join