It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the X-Men’s X-Jet Blackbird Compares to the Original SR-71

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
How the X-Men’s X-Jet Blackbird Compares to the Original SR-71

I thought this was pretty cool by LM. A short article discussing the differences between the real SR-71 and the X-Men Blackbird.

There's some nice photos and a video with Col. Buzz Carpenter talking about his experience in the plane.

Thought I'd share.

Beast didn’t invent the SR-71 – a Skunk did. A small team of Skunks to be exact. During the Cold War, there was a need for a new reconnaissance aircraft that could evade enemy radar, and the customer needed it fast. At Lockheed Martin’s advanced development group, the Skunk Works®, work had already begun on an innovative aircraft to improve intelligence-gathering, one that would fly faster than any aircraft before or since, at greater altitude, and with a minimal radar cross section. The team rose to the nearly impossible challenge, and the aircraft took its first flight on December 22, 1964. A Blackbird was born.

Today, the Skunk Works team is still using an innovative and world-class approach to quickly solve challenges. The team’s unique culture is the key to its success and the secret ingredient that continues to define the future of aerospace.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I love the photo at the end of the article,

The one on the right is even leaking fuel.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
God those are gorgeous planes. Some things never get old including seeing the sr71.

Cool article. Whats even better is it will expose youngsters to the aweomeness that is skunk works. Maybe influence a few to go into aviation and the science, engineering and technology world. I always liked lockheed pr people they do excellent campaigns and work.

Remember going to edwards airshows back in the 90s. The sr71 would take off, rattling everybodys guts and then an hour or so later do a mach 3 pass as 85k. Releasing smoke off on off every other mile so you can visually see just how fast she was cruising.

Edwards had the best airshows and I miss them. But man you got to see the Habu in action. Ridiculous power when she'd power up and roar down the runway ground vibrating angrily under your feet and a deep percussive thump in your chest. Amazing.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

You, Sir, are awesome.

Great post. Thank you for the links.

Have a nice Memorial Day weekend.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

man I wish I was able to see that in action.

Best I got was to see was a B-1 buzzing the tower in Opa Locka.

Holy crap that thing was loud!

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

You woulda loved it!

They had a static blackbird on display and one that theyd send up. The exhaust nozzels seemed huge to me at the time. Probably are. I think they are 4.5 feet across and the engine would lengthen 6 inches from the heat when it was at full power.

Simulated dog fights, demonstrating just how slow a f 15 can fly, simulated bombing runs with fireballs, feeling the heat from fighters exhaust from thousands of feet away as they turned their afterburners toward you while doing aerial demos. Hiding from the sun and heat under the sheltering shadows of a c5s wings eating a hot dog. Chuck yeager doing a sonic boom at 10am in a f15 yearly to kick off the airshow. B2 buzzing the line of cars waiting to get in at 5am to give the earlybird av enthusiasts a special show. B2 surprisingly maneuverable. soldiers standing in a circle armed with m16s guarding the f117.

Those were the days.

The b 1 would buzz the crowd too. I believe one time the announcer said it was doing .9 mach at like 300 feet above the crowd. Sounded like deep thumping backfires slapping you in your chest as she passed. Rattled the hell out of the hangers on the northbase apron where they hold the show. Made half the unitiated jump from being startled.

I fact I bet zaph probably has a good b 1 story or two. ZAPH!!! Tell us a b1 story pweeeze.

But the best was still the venerable sr71 she drew the biggest crowd of gawkers. And witnessing her throttle thos engines on takeoff and the power was literally adrenaline inducing.

Edwards. Please, please do airshows again. Lock down south base for a day and give us civies a show! We promise not to ignore the static displays and stare at the south hangers through binoculars all day. We swear.

Open letter to Lockheed

Lockheed Skunk Works PR Department:
To whom it may concern,

We members of the ATS Aviation Forum humbly request a private tour, and or meet and greet/Q&A of your selected engineers and now white world aircraft.

You will find much to your staffs delight that the members in attendance will be deeply engaging with your personnel and demonstrative of our mutal passion for all things aviation.

We will also agree to abide by any and all of your rules or stipulations regarding.

Seriously, to us, you guys are real life rockstars and heros.

Please consider the above proposition, and if amicable, contact either myself or one of the aviation forum moderators (zaphod58 would be a good person to contact) to discuss setting up such a potential visit.

Best,

Bassplyr (dave)

Hey its worth a shot
edit on 27-5-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

When i was a kid, the navy's annual airshow at NAS Lemoore was a hoot. The blue angels put on an up close and personal show, and the squadron based there would simulated bombing and starfing runs with flour bombs and blanks. But the best part was when they brought out the old halftrack with .50cal on it and you got to bang off a few rounds.
I've gotten to see B1's doing some nap of the earth flying while riding out in the desert, and once in the late seventies an Sr 71 made an unexpected landing at Fresno Air Terminal, and as it was leaving, flew right over me while i walking home from school no more than a couple hundred feet up. Man it was loud.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

Right over your house! Thats so bad ass! Bet you had to go around adjusting the crooked picture frames on the wall after.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I dare you to send it.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

What? You think theyll pass it around the office laughing?

Couldnt hurt to try.

In all seriousness if they arent talking about grey and black world craft and we arent asking. And, both parties agree to that stipulation. It could work.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Probably.

Worst they can do is say no.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I would totally join that trip! I'll bring some 20 year old scotch and maybe, just maaaybe they can drop some hints about various black aircraft.

LOL yeah right - I tried that with a relative during my buddys bachelor party and even after significant amounts of Scotch there was zero opening up that Pandora's box.

It is worth a shot though isn't it?

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

You dont think theyll go for an ATS field trip? What about a private tour of edwards. They do that right?

Seriously the aviation forum should set up some outings, field trips or expeditions.

Hey I got an idea. You can help me compose the letter so it looks less like it was drafted by a clueless 12 year old.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

IIRC Edwards has an open day a couple times a year. You have to send all your information ahead of time for background checks but they take you around the base. Check with their PAO.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Ill honestly move forward with trying to set up a tour at edwards for a few ats members if people are willing to join in. Ive called their pao office in the past seeing if there was a small chance they would be doing an airshow again.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

Ill honestly move forward with trying to set up a tour at edwards for a few ats members if people are willing to join in. Ive called their pao office in the past seeing if there was a small chance they would be doing an airshow again.

With enough advance notice I'd be able to make it, there are some Southwest nonstops from DAL to Burbank... Problem is our first baby is due later this summer so I may be put on lockdown for a while, lol.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

If you want a serious event there's AvGeek Fest. It's usually towards the start of the year and frequently involves going on the production floor at Boeing. The last one they got in to Renton to see the 737s being built. Tickets usually sell out on the day they go on sale, in a few hours.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

How much are tickets and is this only in washington state?

I'll call the pao at edwards and get potential dates they have available for tours then get back to you guys. Could be a lot of fun. Get to meet other members. Get to hang out some place really cool. Will be great for the aviation forum. Oh and in n out burger is right down the street. If anything a fun thread could be made out of it. It will set a sort of precedent for aviation forum meet ups. Might get members elsewhere to do the same in their respective areas. Might start a new thing for the aviation forum. The only ats forum that doesnt just talk about it. We meet up about it and go on adventures.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

All of them have been at Boeing so far. Ticket prices vary based on the package you buy. They have single day, or tickets for specific events as well as for everything.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I second that idea...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join