It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-Men:Apocalypse is really pretty good. (No spoilers in OP)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I have seen loads of bad reviews for the new X-men flick. I am a crazy big comic nerd, and after growing up in the 90's X-men became arguably my favorite sub genre.

It just hit the bootleg market, and it being a pretty good copy, I watched it.

This movie is really quite good. Perfect NO, but I think as good as the last two flicks (DoFP and FC).

The introductions to the younger team was done pretty well and they really fleshed out as the movie continued..

Magnetos retcon and him being quicksilver's dad was handled poorly..but not at all to a movie ruining level..

I think this movie suffered from closely following Marvel's lightning in a bottle MCU's newest installment, civil war.

Those movies have such nearly flawless execution that even a good movie pales in comparison.

IMHO it was far better than batman vs superman, with not even remotely the same level of plot holes or crammed in material..

This has crammed in material, but nothing that is a key plot point..aka "the death of arc" being shoe horned into the last 15 min of BVS.

So don't let the reviews fool ya..it's a well worth it flick.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I love the xmen universe in general, so even a bad movie will still be a good flick just by default tbh.
There is a lot of hammering against everything lately it seems, I actually liked superman v batman. not sure what all the hate was about. a few minor cringe moments, but overall, pretty good.

looking forward to it.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I don't personally care but isn't magneto being quicksilves dad a spoiler? Or is that well known?

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

I don't personally care but isn't magneto being quicksilves dad a spoiler? Or is that well known?

Uber well known lol...since the 60's or uncanny X-men #4... Whichever came first. :p

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
I love the xmen universe in general, so even a bad movie will still be a good flick just by default tbh.
There is a lot of hammering against everything lately it seems, I actually liked superman v batman. not sure what all the hate was about. a few minor cringe moments, but overall, pretty good.

looking forward to it.

I think it could have been great..except for some horribly questionable choices...

I'm prob biased, because "The death of Superman" arc was a key part of my childhood and they poo pooed all over that and doomsday.

Batman killing indiscriminately, with no plot point attached was stupid...

Their reason for fighting was already set...Superman said retire, and batman wasn't going to. There was no reason to add the Martha crap.. It was just convoluted and made no sense batman going to save Martha when Clark is super fast..

Honestly I could forgive everything else if they had just "killed" doomsday and ended it. Then you can bring the real doomsday back, in all his boney glory and do the death of arc in the next super man movie..

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Double
edit on 22-5-2016 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

looking forward to it.

I think it could have been great..except for some horribly questionable choices...

I'm prob biased, because "The death of Superman" arc was a key part of my childhood and they poo pooed all over that and doomsday.

Their reason for fighting was already set...Superman said retire, and batman wasn't going to. There was no reason to add the Martha crap.. It was just convoluted and made no sense batman going to save Martha when Clark is super fast..

Honestly I could forgive everything else if they had just "killed" doomsday and ended it. Then you can bring the real doomsday back, in all his boney glory and do the death of arc in the next super man movie..

Ahh, well thats a lot of comic book lore.
I am not a lore fanatic, so to me I just judged the movie based on the movie. the martha bit was actually my idea of the cringe moment...made no sense how they went from hated enemies to bffs simply because they had a mother with the same name..that was just absurd
but most of the other parts were fine to me.
Superman eventually comes back, I know that much, then they will move into the justice league...or not. depends really on if they push on with this or just scrap it all and do a star wars episode 2 and erase their vision.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

looking forward to it.

Ahh, well thats a lot of comic book lore.
I am not a lore fanatic, so to me I just judged the movie based on the movie. the martha bit was actually my idea of the cringe moment...made no sense how they went from hated enemies to bffs simply because they had a mother with the same name..that was just absurd
but most of the other parts were fine to me.
Superman eventually comes back, I know that much, then they will move into the justice league...or not. depends really on if they push on with this or just scrap it all and do a star wars episode 2 and erase their vision.

Doomsday's whole thing is that evolves, resurrects, and cannot be killed the same way twice. He also has a pretty cool comic book look, All boney protrusions and such. Nothing at all like the lumpy ninja turtle we got....

So it made perfect sense tho have the heros kill him, then in the next movie DD evolves the boney protrusions and man handles the justice league before Superman died fighting him to a stand still.

Instead we got a lumpy turtle and a 15 min Easter egg..

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Man of steel was nearly perfect and most of the structure, appearance and portrayals work. So this might just be a one time blunder.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Man of steel was slated but I thought it was near perfect (apart from the flying dogs at the beginning. Only reason I loved it though was that it was the dragon Ball z movie that was never made. Same story and dbz type fight scenes if only that director got a DBZ script.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Man of Steel as an actual film wasn't awful although it has that reputation - I mean I pretty much hated it, but the problem lies with the actor who plays Superman - he's awful, truly terrible.
BVS suffers for the same reason, Affleck is excellent but the Superman actor is woeful.
Obviously BVS was a mess too and could have done with someone to edit the movie.
Snyder gets a lot of crap but I think he's pretty Good, he just needs some help and some good scripts

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Out of the 3 major comic book franchises to come out this year (Batman v Superman, Captain America Civil War and X-Men Apocalypse) I liked X-Men the most by far.

It was a great throwback to the comics and cartoons from the 80's/90's and did an excellent job tying into First Class and Days of Futures Past, rebooting the series.

Hugh Jackman has said that he is going to play Wolverine one more time on the big screen, and rumor has it that it's going to be the "Old Man Logan" story line. Afterwards they are going to recast the character and I'm curious to see who they get for the role.
edit on 23-5-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: stargatetravels
Man of Steel as an actual film wasn't awful although it has that reputation - I mean I pretty much hated it, but the problem lies with the actor who plays Superman - he's awful, truly terrible.
BVS suffers for the same reason, Affleck is excellent but the Superman actor is woeful.
Obviously BVS was a mess too and could have done with someone to edit the movie.
Snyder gets a lot of crap but I think he's pretty Good, he just needs some help and some good scripts

I don't mind Cavel's casting, and loved the whole "first day on the job" take.

Loved the "science" Behind his powers and I loved Zods death and supes scream afterward.

To me BVS's problem was that they tried to incorporate all these iconic scenes from a dozen different comics, but they did not do what was required to earn those iconic scenes as the comics did

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
Out of the 3 major comic book franchises to come out this year (Batman v Superman, Captain America Civil War and X-Men Apocalypse) I liked X-Men the most by far.

It was a great throwback to the comics and cartoons from the 80's/90's and did an excellent job tying into First Class and Days of Futures Past, rebooting the series.

Hugh Jackman has said that he is going to play Wolverine one more time on the big screen, and rumor has it that it's going to be the "Old Man Logan" story line. Afterwards they are going to recast the character and I'm curious to see who they get for the role.

HATED logans weapon X helm... Or at least the clear visor...don't know why, but I HATED IT! Lol

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I really liked this movie although it had some huge flaws. Some of the CGI and wire work was bad, J-Law was terrible and it was disappointing that Apocalypse went from being a philosophically intriguing character to a power hungry nutjob throughout the course of the film but the rest of the character arcs were pretty cool. Fassbender pretty much nailed it again, thought he was by far the best thing about it.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
I really liked this movie although it had some huge flaws. Some of the CGI and wire work was bad, J-Law was terrible and it was disappointing that Apocalypse went from being a philosophically intriguing character to a power hungry nutjob throughout the course of the film but the rest of the character arcs were pretty cool. Fassbender pretty much nailed it again, thought he was by far the best thing about it.

I didn't like the whole magneto "missing years".

I actually did like the apocalypse body transferral tho!

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I thought it was ok.

I dont even look for propaganda in movies anymore, it just jumps out at me.

A cornerstone of Hollywood propaganda was on full display in this one. I'm surprised they didnt work in the benefit of vaccines and reinforce the moon landing.

top topics

join