It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Fifteen Iraqi Guardsmen Feared Kidnapped

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
In another example of the increasing violence occuring in Iraq leading up to the Jan 30 elections, a bus carrying 15 Iraqi soldiers to a US Army base was attacked with rocket propelled grenades. However, when the wreckage was examined no bodies were found. The soldiers are feared to have been kidnapped.

abcnews.com

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Insurgents rocketed an Iraqi military bus west of the capital Friday and 15 Iraqi soldiers were missing and feared kidnapped, as insurgent violence and intimidation escalated ahead of this month's crucial national election.

A senior American officer acknowledged that violence and threats by insurgents might keep some people in Baghdad away from the Jan. 30 polls.

The bus was driving to a U.S. military post when it was struck by rocket-propelled grenades near Baghdadi, about 90 miles west of the capital, said an Iraqi National Guard officer who identified himself only as Lt. Col. Hesham.

He said the bus burst into flames but no bodies were found, raising fears the troops had been taken prisoner.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It appears that the Sunni minority in Iraq is becoming more and more fearful of losing power to the long suppressed Shiite majority. Sunni clerics are urging a boycott and Sunni insurgents are threatening to attack voting centers.

As the election draws nearer, and attacks increase, security forces will likely be unable to protect those Iraqis who want to vote. If the election installs a government without popular support due to Iraqis being driven away from the voting centers, this could lead to decades more disruption and civil unrest.

[edit on 14-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I wonder if they just took off with the insurgents that did the attack, I feel that even one would have been killed just to leave something for the rest to think about.

Insurgents are not prone to keep people alive, so this is suspicious.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
My concern is that the soldiers will be kept alive and killed one by one, by the insurgents as a way of increasing the fear among the Shiite population. I am very concerned that we will be seeing more and more terror tactics leading up to the election.

Attackers in Iraq's north killed three officials of a party representing Iraqi Kurds, who also are working aggressively for a high turnout in the election, which is expected to pry power from Iraq's long-dominant Sunni minority.

Obviously, any party that is not Sunni will be hit hard leading up to the election.

[edit on 1/14/2005 by Montana]

new topics

join