It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 10-year-old Finnish kid won $10,000 for hacking Instagram

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   
As the " Evil genius/super villain " some people has called me in here ( jokes are on me ). A bird whispered in my ear a while ago, a ten year old superstar has been born... I wasnt told who it was, cause as we all know in the big boy world everything needs to be verified..
And here we have him, he hacked instagram and won 10.000 dollars.. I will keep a lookout for him and his glory future to come..

The youngster, a 10-year-old Finnish kid named Jani, claimed the security flaw he discovered could even allow him to delete Justin Bieber's Instagram comments and captions, should he feel so inclined. Jani showed off his hack to the Instagram team by deleting a comment they posted on a test account. As the boy's father told the Finnish news site Iltalehti, Jani and his twin brother are fairly prolific at poking holes in seemingly secure websites, but the Instagram hack was their biggest to date.

Link
edit on 4-5-2016 by PanPiper because: image

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: PanPiper
A 10-year-old Finnish kid won $10,000 for hacking Instagram

Not particularly surprising!
My new grandson was just born with a 'tablet' in his little hands!
And I got an email just before he arrived!
Seriously!
By ten, you'd think that they'd be rather good with it!
My one year old granddaughter is rather good on it!!!
So with ten years experience, many people would be able to perform such feats!
Wouldn't it be nice if we came into the world already knowing how to Love, unconditionally, then hack someone's account?
But we seem more facile with the bits and pieces of tech then the Heart.
The tech facile kiddies will still need therapists and meds!

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

Problem solving and using an Ipad isnt quite the same...

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Actually very surprising that a ten year old can find a way to hack into a site like instagram and I am sure that company do not throw money around for fun..

From the Link..

The $10,000 prize was part of Facebook's Bug Bounty program, which offers rewards to White Hat hackers and other researchers who find bugs or security flaws in their code. In 2015, Facebook reportedly paid out $936,000 to 210 different researchers, out of a grand total of 13,000 submissions. 102 of those submissions were considered "high impact."

These prizes are not usually won by ten year old kids and he must be a computer genius to find a way in at such an age..

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

Yes, anything we say about it would be an understatement. At 10 years old being able to do this my first thought was how is that possible?

Mind = blown

Simply amazing, the kid is a real life genuine prodigy!

S&F

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: PanPiper

I found a flaw in software that law enforcement agencies use for report / records management.. All I got was a handshake and a thanks..

I feel cheated now

At least this kid used his powers for good.. At least until he realizes he can buy things with money..

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Very impressive, he has a bright future in front him

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   

As a developer I often imagine myself i'm doing very well with security.. but every time something like this happens...

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: PanPiper

Problem solving and using an Ipad isnt quite the same...

Is that an attempt at a 'strawman fallacy'?
People 'problem solve' on Ipads all the time.
And that was not the real point, now, was it?

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: skywatcher44

Actually very surprising that a ten year old can find a way to hack into a site like instagram and I am sure that company do not throw money around for fun..

From the Link..

The $10,000 prize was part of Facebook's Bug Bounty program, which offers rewards to White Hat hackers and other researchers who find bugs or security flaws in their code. In 2015, Facebook reportedly paid out $936,000 to 210 different researchers, out of a grand total of 13,000 submissions. 102 of those submissions were considered "high impact."

These prizes are not usually won by ten year old kids and he must be a computer genius to find a way in at such an age..

I reiterate; the child probably had 9 years experience.
People can learn to hack in considerably less time than that.
Hey, perhaps the kid is a genius and figured the whole thing out in 45 seconds with no previous experience and will go on to cure stupid, but without such a proviso, I've had too many kids (and know what 9 years practice can do) to be that impressed.
Lets see what kind of person he grows into.... *__-

new topics

top topics

join