It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive wildfire in Fort McMurray destroys buildings Largest Evacuation.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Rhodin

I know it's probably still too soon to think about, but any idea from the people you've talked to wether they want to return and rebuild ?

From the news reports it seems as if a lot of people are leaving to go back east and are not planning on returning.

From my understanding there were a lot of people living there who are originally from the east coast.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Here's a nice story out of my province regarding a woman displaced by the Fort McMurray Fire.

Woman Wins Sydney Chase the Ace Lottery.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   
might have been environmentalists. Which is scary because who's to say they don't go doing that again in future?

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

If that's the case, they've been very busy: cwfis.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca...

There are two ways of starting wildfires; lightning strikes and human carelessness.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

One of the few times I haven't questioned why does this person deserve to win when most people are selfish.

In her case she says she will donate a large amount which I agree with as I would do the same if I could ever win the lotto.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen

Well, I personally haven't heard anyone who doesn't want to rebuild. The closest I've heard to that were a few people thinking it may return to a fly in fly out town as it was originally intended.

To me though, there is no doubt that we will rebuild. Especially considering almost all important infrastructure remains intact.

Also, I too plan to personally help with the rebuild. Fort McMurray changed our ( mine and my girlfriend ) lives. I learned a trade and generally became a better person out there.

edit on 9-5-2016 by Rhodin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

It's always nice to hear when someone deserving has something nice happen to them. Good for her!

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I'm sure that Fort Mac will rebuild.

The outpouring of support from across the country has been very effective in supporting the time people are out of their homes, so 'step 1' is already well in hand. The funds donated to Red Cross alone has reached more than $45,000,000 and that amount will be doubled by the federal government.

The hit to insurance companies is expected to be in the neighbourhood of $9B, which is a scary amount. Then add to that the losses from a shut down oil patch and the loss calculations go into guesswork.

But I'm convinced that the community itself will be rebuilding as soon as possible. If Canadians are good at just one thing, it's resilience.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: masqua

I'm sure that Fort Mac will rebuild.

The outpouring of support from across the country has been very effective in supporting the time people are out of their homes, so 'step 1' is already well in hand. The funds donated to Red Cross alone has reached more than $45,000,000 and that amount will be doubled by the federal government.

The hit to insurance companies is expected to be in the neighbourhood of $9B, which is a scary amount. Then add to that the losses from a shut down oil patch and the loss calculations go into guesswork.

But I'm convinced that the community itself will be rebuilding as soon as possible. If Canadians are good at just one thing, it's resilience.

£45,000,000, Pffft, The red cross will lose that in a week... Red cross spent half a billion dollars to build six homes in Hiati.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen

I think possibly the low price of oil might make it a problem to rebuild everything..I guess insurance will cover most cost but it's not as lucrative to keep it all running..just a guess.
I buy and sell audio gear and in the last year a fair bit of high end stuff coming out of Alberta.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

There is a big difference between the Canadian Red Cross and the American version..at least where Haiti was concerned.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join