It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Trump wins the nomination, how should he treat Ted Cruz?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Firstly, this thread is not supposed to be an attack on Cruz (after all he may still win).

Given the extremely bad blood between the two candidates through this campaign it's easy to forget that they started off not attacking each other. I think that early in the cycle most of the candidates were waiting for Trump to blow himself up with some statement, waiting in the wings to pick up his voters. Nothing wrong with that, it was just smart. When Cruz realised that Trump was going nowhere the fireworks started and the last few months have been toxic to say the least.

Remember this:

...and this:

So, let's assume the scenario that Trump wins the nomination by getting to 1237 delegates. It's going to be very deflating for Cruz and may signal the end of his political career. A lot will depend on how Trump handles victory. He's made a few comments over the last few days that 'too much has happened' when talking about some of his rivals and has been pretty forward at saying he doesn't need politicians support, only the poeple's. I think that is a bit naive actually. It's going to take about $150m to run his general election campaign and he will need GOP money. I doubt he either has or wants to spend $150m of his own money.

So what will he do in relation to Ted Cruz? It's quite clear to me that Trump won't align himself with people like Jeb Bush and Lindsay Graham, but Cruz? I think he should get him on board if he can. He could promise Cruz a SCOTUS position in return for his endorsement and campaign support. Sounds impossible I know but this is politics. Cruz may have no choice if he wants to stick around in Washington beyond his current Senate term. I also think that a graceful winning approach by Trump would go a long way to encouraging others to get on board.

What say you?

edit on 1/5/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I think he should shake his hand ... and then ignore him. Much like he's doing to Chris Christie.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Given that Ted Cruz is not liked at all by the GOP establishment, I think he can probably be pretty well ignored. It's Cruz that is going to have to decide how to treat not only Trump, but the party itself. He has more fences to mend, e.g. Boehner, than Trump will have. If Cruz wants another shot at this, he will have to do a better job of getting along with his own party.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I think it should be obvious, if trump wins he would deport him.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I genuinely think they could heal it. If Trump said something along the lines of 'Cruz was a very tough opponent and had to do what he did to try and win, but in the end there can be only one winner. What's important now is to beat Hillary Clinton with a unified party... '. You get the picture..

Just think it would help a lot. It is up to Trump to unite the party as the nominee - at least in the scenario that he wins. I also think that many of Cruz's campaign mistakes have been forced by The Donald. It must be pretty difficult to know what to do to beat him.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Cruz was sent to Washington because he told us Texas he was not going to play by their book, that he was going there for the interest of Texas, not to get along.

I will admit I voted for him to have a Senate seat.

It was Great we had finally sent a real Mr. Smith to Washington.

Then he dropped the ball and ran for POTUS.

As a Texan I see that as Abandoning his Duty.

I do not care how Congress or Trump Treat him because I want to see his Booger eating Ass Recalled. He should not be allowed to return to the seat he vacated and we should have a special election here in Texas to replace him!

Strip him of all Congressional Medical and retirement also. Give him a Lead Parachute not a gold one.

That of course is how I personally feel about RejecTED.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
scotus ? you can't be serious

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
I think he should shake his hand ... and then ignore him. Much like he's doing to Chris Christie.

Absolutely. We will have enought problems with Trump...I pray to all the Gods he does not offer him a job.
edit on 1-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
He should nominate him for Attorney General !!!

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

You are close here. What I think is that Trump knows he has one coming to him from Cruz. Not because it is owed but because he is such a kiss ass. Ted Cruz reminds me of a middle management person in either a tech field or a fast food restaurant. Can you not see him pumping up the late shift at Wendys?

Cruz was never even an issue to Trump which is what gets Trump. He is the thing that will not leave. The true GOP, Rubio and Jeb, are long gone.

I would think right now people who had pledged Cruz are going to have second thoughts. There will be no contested convention. Why it is so quiet now? The chess pieces are moving. Those with the money are saying # what can we do now? The GOP reminds me of the guy who puts down his girlfriend and keeps getting back with her...and complaining about it.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
So many people are trained to hate Cruz ... I don't know.

The one thing about this election that I am seeing that I don't like is the hatred and vitriol within the party. It's one thing to see it coming from left to right, even seeing it to a certain amount from right to left, but this same thing going back and forth inside the party base is disturbing. We shouldn't be hating on each other, at any level of the game.

Trump people hating Cruz and Cruz people. Cruz people hating Trump and Trump people.

Where is that getting us? Nowhere, and it's where it will get come November too no matter who ends up the nominee.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

He should get a dog (a small, yappy dog, not a big dog), and appoint Teddy Senior Dog Walker.

And only that.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Find anything illegal he has done and prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law. That goes with any of the other politicians.

iTruthSeeker

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
So many people are trained to hate Cruz ... I don't know.

The one thing about this election that I am seeing that I don't like is the hatred and vitriol within the party. It's one thing to see it coming from left to right, even seeing it to a certain amount from right to left, but this same thing going back and forth inside the party base is disturbing. We shouldn't be hating on each other, at any level of the game.

Trump people hating Cruz and Cruz people. Cruz people hating Trump and Trump people.

Where is that getting us? Nowhere, and it's where it will get come November too no matter who ends up the nominee.

Agreed. I think Cruz made the biggest mistake of his life going toe to toe with Trump. I do actually think he would have had a chance if he had kept to his early campaign promises of not mud slinging. He should have never sided with the establishment. That said, we all make mistakes. I just hope that they can both come to some arrangement because Trump will need all GOP voters on his side, plus some of the so called 'Reagan democrats'

The question on Cruz is whether this is the real Cruz we are seeing or one so battle scarred that he has just resorted to 'hail mary's' to try and win.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: Snarl

Absolutely. We will have enought problems with Trump...I pray to all the Gods he does not offer him a job.

He anchored him with the moniker Lyin' Ted. You've not a thing to worry about.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
As long as trump sees a financial gain in keeping Cruz around, that is probably what he'll do. It's what i'd do.

Ted doesn't seem like the type of guy that one wants on his bad side, but if he's in your corner then he's an asset.

Ah, politics. It's the art of speaking without ever saying anything.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I'm guessing Cruz will start sucking up in hopes of getting a position just in case he isn't given the Pres position by the party.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I'm guessing Cruz will start sucking up in hopes of getting a position just in case he isn't given the Pres position by the party.

Ok, then how should Trump treat Rubio? Rubio went after him just as much, but it's not as fresh in everyone's mind because Rubio was hamstrung by Gang of 8.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I hope Trump doesn't select either one if he is the GOPs selection. Both of these men are only trying to get the top spot. Neither has served well.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: roadgravel

Ok, then how should Trump treat Rubio? Rubio went after him just as much, but it's not as fresh in everyone's mind because Rubio was hamstrung by Gang of 8.

Interesting question - over the last few days Rubio has confirmed he will support Trump as the nominee and also said he is 'doing a better job' [sic]. He also said that Trump has a valid argument that the person with the most delegates should get the nomination so as not to divide the party.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join