It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Beltane!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Wiki

It marked the beginning of summer and was when cattle were driven out to the summer pastures. Rituals were performed to protect the cattle, crops and people, and to encourage growth. Special bonfires were kindled, and their flames, smoke and ashes were deemed to have protective powers. The people and their cattle would walk around the bonfire or between two bonfires, and sometimes leap over the flames or embers. All household fires would be doused and then re-lit from the Beltane bonfire. These gatherings would be accompanied by a feast, and some of the food and drink would be offered to the aos sí. Doors, windows, byres and the cattle themselves would be decorated with yellow May flowers, perhaps because they evoked fire. In parts of Ireland, people would make a May Bush: a thorn bush decorated with flowers, ribbons and bright shells. Holy wells were also visited, while Beltane dew was thought to bring beauty and maintain youthfulness. Many of these customs were part of May Day or Midsummer festivals in other parts of Great Britain and Europe.

It is an important holiday for me, being Wiccan.

Modern Pagans and Beltane

How do modern day pagans observe this day?Modern day pagan observances of Beltane include the maypole dances, bringing in the May, and jumping the cauldron for fertility. Many couples wishing to conceive children will jump the cauldron together at this time. Fertility of imagination and other varieties of fertility are invoked along with sexual fertility. In Wiccan and other Pagan circles, this is a joyous day, full of laughter and good times.

edit on 1-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I washed my face in the dew this morning and I can only hope that hailstones count as dewish.

Happy Beltane to you too.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

The same to you! Over a 100.000 gathered last night in to celebrate the beltane, we call it valborg. But its a modern phrase that came with Christianity.. We called it Blot Eldsafton / Vårblot before valborg..

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Happy Beltane!

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Thank you! Blessed Beltane to you, as well!

Blessed be!

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

That's lovely! Happy Beltane to you! I can just see cattle in the field decorated with wreaths of yellow flowers...

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Gee, I saw this thread and decided to go check out PaganSpace. I haven't been there in a couple of years. Accounts still good. Lots of new people there now though.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Merry meet.
Hot night!

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Happy Beltane!!

I was invited to my first Beltane ritual today by a local coven. It was a wonderful experience. I look forward to going them again and celebrating their next ritual.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe

I washed my face in the dew this morning and I can only hope that hailstones count as dewish.

Happy Beltane to you too.

They do!!

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: PanPiper

The same to you! Over a 100.000 gathered last night in to celebrate the beltane, we call it valborg. But its a modern phrase that came with Christianity.. We called it Blot Eldsafton / Vårblot before valborg..

That is nice to learn!

link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Happy Beltane!

TY Kali.

link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Thank you! Blessed Beltane to you, as well!

Blessed be!

Ty Anysha. Blessed be!

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

That's lovely! Happy Beltane to you! I can just see cattle in the field decorated with wreaths of yellow flowers...

Ty benevolent

edit on 2-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Merry meet.
Hot night!

Merry met , Silly

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

Happy Beltane!!

I was invited to my first Beltane ritual today by a local coven. It was a wonderful experience. I look forward to going them again and celebrating their next ritual.

Fantastic! I am glad you found a group. Happy beltane mblahnikkuver

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Happy Betlane.

SO, you live in Scotland? Scott land?
edit on 2-5-2016 by boozo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Very happy Beltane hope you all had a very good time. We had a great evening with a stroll though our ancient landscape finishing at the local henge and then back to party. I love this celebration shame the feet don't the following day.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

🌸🌹🌸🌹🌷🌷🌺🌻🌼 here is a spring bouquet to celebrate.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Is Beltane one of the solstices that Christianity adopted or something different?

Anyway, happy Beltane!

new topics

top topics

join